Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Purity and shedding the chains. . .
Quote | Reply
After pondering my recent race results and reading through training threads here and elsewhere. . .

Its time for me to get back to "purity" of the sport. I've been worrying over the merits of the Nike Triax Elite to replace my failing Polar HR monitor. I've been waiting for $ so I could send my Alps rear off to be rebuilt around another PT Pro hub. I've been fumbling around with the workflow involved with using Virtual PC on my PowerMac 17" G4 laptop so that I can download the Polar, PT and use Cycling Peaks Software as well as upload to TB log/planner. All this analytical crap is getting in the way of enjoying training and racing. . .

So for the rest of this year I'm shelving the HR monitor, and only using the PT on my Tuesday cycling interval workout. Stopwatch only for Thursday track workout. Paper calender training plan. Simple

Time to get back in touch with my body and the joy of swimming, biking, and running. . .Just DO it!

I ran 10 miles this morning without even a watch. . .just me and the road. Purity.
Quote Reply
Re: Purity and shedding the chains. . . [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the gizmos that make you fast not the love of the sport or the beauty in endurance.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Purity and shedding the chains. . . [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You two-faced slut, Tibbsy. This isn't in keeping with your most recent thread! Shame on you! :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TBG, I'm with you bro...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll send you my bike (for the right price) if you want to go really pure. A nice Miele with 12 gears (shifters on the down tube), Ole brakes, 25mm wheels. I bought new tires and pedals and doubled the investment I had made in it. The sad thing is it's the best bike I have ever owned! Ignorance really is bliss...
Quote Reply
Re: Purity and shedding the chains. . . [goobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention the bike as well. . .just when I was really settling into being "ok" with my road bike (a 2002 Specialized E5 Comp/Ultegra and many upgrades). . .some guy shows up this weekend with a C-Dale six-13 decked out to the max, to include some new Zipp 202s. The drool factor set in and I started pondering the merits of dropping 4 lbs from my road bike (mine is ~17.8. . .his was about 14 as per the scale(!!!!). . .Very sweet bike.

But you know what. . .I made the break on the ride. He didn't. Its about the engine. Train lots. Train hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. Although I did just buy a new HRM this year. All the gizmo's have just seemed to make everybody slower. I remember showing up at some decent size oly tri's in the early 90's (USTS, Tri nationals) going 1:56 to 1:58 and not cracking the top twenty AGers. Now it seems that a 1:56 would win most USAT AG races.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Purity and shedding the chains. . . [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:56 and you'd better be racing with the elites these days. In fact, it would have won most of the smaller races I've done in the last several years outright.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy, I'll be racing Tupper Lake this weekend on a 5 year old warrantly replacement for a 9 year old Kestrel 200 SC (ie I bought the first frame in 1991). I plan to be the fastest guy with 8 speed downtube shifters. I am also running a regular 14 year old mavic front wheel with Wolber rim and 28 bladed spokes, and a 7 year old HED CX in the back....

I agree. Too many guys are slaves to plans coaches and gizmos. Just suck it up and do the training, train till ya drop and then rest a bit before you train some more, train cause you want to, not cause you have to, do a workout because it is "there to be done" not cause it is on your "plan", sleep well, taper a bit before races, make pain your friend in racing, go hard or go home come race day. This takes care of 95% of everything for most of us lame ass age groupers. The rest is fine tuning. I'll leave that to guys who make a living off the sport !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that this thread was going to be about virgins and chain dropping and the correlation between the two...It sure had potential.

------------------------------------------------------------
"One thing I have found there are just two ways to go
It all comes down to livin' fast or dyin' slow"- Robert Earlk Keen Jr.
Quote Reply