Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beware of USAT's Silent Election
Quote | Reply
Most slowtwitch readers are aware of the current election, which consists of (a) a do-over of the 2003 election and (b) a ballot on proposed amendments to the bylaws. But no matter what the results in the current election process, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE ANOTHER ELECTION FOR THE BOARD THIS YEAR . . . AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, NOMINATIONS FOR THIS ELECTION ARE DUE IN EIGHT DAYS.

Let me say that again: No matter what happens with the vote on the petition, there WILL BE a 2004 election for four directors under the terms of the existing bylaws . . . and nominations for that election close on June 30, 2004. The terms of Fred Sommer (East Region), Brad Davison (Central), Tim Becker (West), and Ray Ploteccia (At-Large) expire on January 1, 2005, and their successors will be selected in the 2004 election.

If the current petition gets a "no" vote from the membership, the existing bylaws stay in place. That means the winners of the current 2003 do-over election will serve until January 1, 2006 and the winners of the 2004 election (voting on which will be from August through October of 2004) will serve until January 1, 2007.

If the current petition gets a "yes" vote from the membership, then there would be an election in all eight of the new districts in February of 2005. That means the terms of all eight of the current directors would expire on July 1, 2005, and they would be replaced by the newly elected board.

How do you get on the slate for the 2004 election? By circulating a petition with your platform and the other required information (see the recent issue of Triathlon Times or visit USAT's website) and getting at least 30 annual members to sign it. But remember, it has to be in the hands of USAT National Office on or before June 30, 2004. NOTE: Apparently by order of the Blue Ribbon Panel, there will be no candidates submitted by a nominating committee.

Lew
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of USAT's Silent Election [Lew Kidder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just gotten home from a 2-week trip and have been a little out of the loop.

For me and for others, can you tell us what you think about the proposed by-law amendments? Are you voting for or against them? and why?

Thanks!

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of USAT's Silent Election [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One can only assume that Lew is voting for them, since he and Dan Empfield co-authored them. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to put you off, but there have been lots of threads on this subject . . . and it would be great if this thread could focus on the stealth election in our near future.

That said, I am voting (actually have already voted) in favor of the petition . . . but since Dan and I were the co-authors of the document, that should be no big surprise. If you read the petition in its entirety, you will probably find portions with which you disagree; certainly, nearly everyone else already has. But the alternative to a "yes" vote is to keep the current bylaws intact . . . and as Dan and I (and many, many others) have articulated over the past four months, that may well be the last time the members ever have an opportunity to exercise these basic rights of direct democracy. Vote "yes" and amendments to the bylaws must always be submitted for your approval. Vote "no" and that power is almost certain to be excised by the current board.

Lew
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of USAT's Silent Election [Lew Kidder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to belittle something that is of apparent importance to many, but why should I care that much about this whole USAT thing? for me its a required cover charge to enter races and nothing else --??

I mean this as a serious question??
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of USAT's Silent Election [azironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is a serious question. The Petition, the 're-do' election, and the 'Silent' election can and most likely will affect you. If nothing else, the Board could decide to raise the 'required cover charge' to enter races. Not only that, they can affect the number and quality of races by making it easier or harder for all or just some RD's to put on races. The purpose of USAT is to promote the sport of triathlon by encouraging and enabling races to be held. The most visible thing they do is provide affordable insurance for races. By voting, you can help choose people you think have the best intentions for the sport, and decide how much power they have in implementing their ideas.

Historically, poor management by USAT led to a dramatic decline in the number of races across the country.

In the next two elections, the membership (who pays the bills) have a unique opportunity to decide what (kind of) people we want leading our sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have just gotten home from a 2-week trip and have been a little out of the loop. For me and for others, can you tell us what you think about the proposed by-law amendments? Are you voting for or against them? and why? "

The main negatives of the proposal, (since it seems to be my mission to point out these things) are:

1. it changes terms to 1 year for everybody. Every candidate will have run every year. While this isn't a terrible thing I think it will add instability to the board and can interfere with the normal operation of the board increasing the E.D's power and decreasing the board's.

2. It eliminates the board's ability to make bylaw changes. I could have lived with the proposal requiring a super-super majority vote of something like 9 of 11 to make changes but if passed you could have 11 of 11 board members seeing an obvious need to change something in the bylaws and they couldn't do it.

Obviously I voted against it. There were things in the proposal I liked and it would have been nice if this proposal had dealt with issues one at a time where you could have voted for the good and against the bad but it was all or nothing.

JJ

Every night that I run, the thought crosses my mind that there's no way in hell I'll still be running a month from now.
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of USAT's Silent Election [azironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I share the same sentiments as you azironman. I really don't see any benefit to my USAT membership in the 9 years I've been a member. I see it as a required fee that has to be paid to the organization.

My hat is off to the race directors who work their a$$ off to put races on with what appears to be little to no USAT support. If there was a proposal on the table to make it easier for them to do their job I'd vote for it in a heartbeat.

This whole election process and USAT political BS has gotten way out of hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of USAT's Silent Election [jsquared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" I could have lived with the proposal requiring a super-super majority vote."

it's possible that lew and i could've lived with something a bit different than the petition we ended up with. however, we tried (twice) to meet with gattis, et al, and mediate this, but we were rebuffed both times.

so, here we are.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of USAT's Silent Election [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"it's possible that lew and i could've lived with something a bit different than the petition we ended up with. however, we tried (twice) to meet with gattis, et al, and mediate this, but we were rebuffed both times. so, here we are."

I'd say I wish you would have called me but you probably didn't know I existed at the time.

JJ

Every night that I run, the thought crosses my mind that there's no way in hell I'll still be running a month from now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'd say I wish you would have called me but you probably didn't know I existed at the time."

it was seemed apparent to us that gattis did not want the petition to go out. she became exceedingly irate with me during a phone call regarding the petition. she said that her group had been working on a bylaw rewrite for months, and the petition trumped all that. i said, "no, it didn't, all lew and i did was rewrite those elements of the bylaws and representation."

we offered to cease any legal maneuvers to get the petition sent out for a vote if the gattis side, and/or the BRP, would agree to find a solution that incorporated the most important elements of the petition, namely, the cementing the right of the members to have petitions and referenda, and we'd drop or modify parts of the petition they didn't like.

in particular, certain elements (tim yount, for example) were dead-set against members voting in any bylaws that might cause severe financial harm to the federation. so, we offered the idea that a supermajority, like 80% or higher, of the board of directors could veto a petition that had been carried by the membership.

however, all that is moot, because all of our offers to the gattis side, and to the BRP, were rebuffed.

the best deal was got from the gattis side was, "after all this is over, we'll put you and lew on our bylaw rewrite committee." at best, had the gattis side prevailed with the BRP, lew and i would've just added our voices to the bylaw committee's minority. as it now is, there is no more functioning bylaw rewrite committee.

i'm not an unreasonable guy. i'm easy to deal with. but the other side has to want to deal.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Many people have objected to the one year term limit. I'm not so sure its that bad. For one thing once on a board like this you typically have to screw up royally to get unelected. Also, I've heard that the board members will be too preoccupied with their election campaign to do board business. Come on, this isn't the presidential race - all a competant member should have to do is send out an e-mail and snail mail to the voters prior to the election, as well as, file apropriate forms and draft a platform statement for the election issue.
Quote Reply