Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Colorado Tri - Race Report
Quote | Reply
For those that did the Colorado Half Iron Course this weekend in Longmont.

Questions: What was up with the swim course !!.. everyone seemed to be all over the place after the second yellow buoy..

On the bike course.. The bike course was 58+ miles.. then why didn't we turn around before the dirt road part..
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Tri - Race Report [coloradotriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of those people all over the place after the 2nd bouy - I think that they didn't really explain whether you were supposed to follow anything to get back or just sight off the finish arch and go for that. Of course I'm slower than a rock but still can't swim a straight line.

I thought the dirt part was put in there to give you a full body jiggle massage after each bike lap! ;-) I just chalked it up to 'I paid for this, I'm darn well going to just enjoy myself and not sweat the small stuff'. It did make it an interesting challenge though.

Note - I did think that all the aid stations and volunteers were very helpful and did a good job in supporting the racers. Plus, up that one long hill back towards the transition area the mountains looked just awesome (the one part of road that was nice pavement and not washboard). I think for a first-year race, they tackled some big obstacles (bike course) but put on a fairly inexpensive race ($85!!) that was safe and well-timed in the overall season calendar. I look forward to chopping at least an hour off my time for next year! This was my first half-iron, and my first real test of lung capacity at altitude (which was found to be lacking about 4 miles into the run), and I'm very happy that I finished.

Josh

45/3hr/3hr - 6:45 for my first 1/2 Iron
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Tri - Race Report [coloradotriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was out there as well for my first 1/2IM.

I thought the instructions were pretty clear on the swim, but afterwards from talking to other people it seemed like there was some confusion. In my case, I think the problem on the final leg was that the sun was in my eyes on my preferred breathing side which caused me to wander. There seemed to be a solid opinion that the swim was long, as well.

I agree on the bike turnaround - I honestly can't figure out what they were thinking. There was NO reason I can determine for forcing us to come all the way in. Good thing I changed out the Kenda's on my Dual a few weeks back - I seriously doubt they would have survived.

My question is what's up with the 'Colorado Tradition' of hot unshaded runs on dirt roads? Boulder Peak, 5430, and now the Colorado Tri.

Overall, I agree with Josh - despite the signs before the race indicating that it could have been an organizational disaster, I thought it went OK overall. The views on the run course were indeed spectacular. If they fix the bike course, I'd consider doing it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Tri - Race Report [dwk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - I agree, run course was well supported.. people at the aid stations were very proactive.. & everyone had ice..

Also - Colorado state patrol did a good job stopping traffic on the bike course

Recommendation on swim course - #1 - When setting the course.. use a GPS to mark location of each buoy an calculate distance.. treat this just like cutting wood, measure twice.. or three times before cutting. Also went setting up swim course.. I would highly recommend.. 'test' swimming' the course to make sure you can sight from buoy to buoy.. things look alot different when your head is down.

All tri runs in Colorado are typically in no shade.. Loveland, Lake to Lake & the Fort Collins Tri have some shade...

The timing for the race in June is very optimal.. also considering if you want to do the triple bypass as training ride in July.. It's too close to the 5430..
Quote Reply