Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Air Force as a career?
Quote | Reply
So I am thinking about a career change. After 3 years of a suit and tie life I am looking for an out. The banking industry is boring and unstable. I have always considered the military and if I am going to do it I need to before I get too old. So I am going to see a recruiter this week. I am looking into the OTS and going to see where I can go from there. I have no pipe dreams of flying, though that would be cool.

Do any of you have anything about the AF to share. I know very little to be honest, so any info would be appreciated. I am not worried about the commitment or serving in general. More wondering about the lifestyle.

As a background I am male, 24, B.S. in Finance and am 5'10 150 lbs.

Thanks all
Quote Reply
Re: Air Force as a career? [ecb304] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of the four branches, they have the lamest uniforms IMO.

Of course, this really is not constructive input about lifestyle. Sorry.

I always thought the Coast Guard would be cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice is go Marine Corps. Officer Candidate School, Quantico, Va. You will not regret it.

Semper Fi
Quote Reply
Re: Air Force as a career? [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My golf hanicap was to high for the USAF . I went USMC much better uniforms, moral,and lots better brotherhood. Semper Fi brothers thanks for the great weekend.
Thom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you thought about the fire department. Awesome 24 hour shifts, cool uniforms, unbelievabe benefits, early retirement etc. We have such a variety of college educated people who finish school and start their career of choice only to relize that they hate their choice. I would not trade my job for fives times the money and if money is the issue start a side business and make lots. If you are a triathlete consider all of the training time while on duty and off. I also have my private pilots ticket that I studied for while at the fire station. Just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Admiting up front the uniforms are very lame the Air Force is a good life. Private message me and I can start brain washing you.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With your background, have you considered the FBI? You seem to be a text book example of special agent material, and God knows they could use the help.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give you a different perspective. I've never been in any military branch myself but grew up as an air force brat. My dad was a fighter pilot/aeronautical engineer and senior level officer.

On the positive side we lived all over the world and as a kid had experiences and saw places that weren't normally available to kids on civy street.

The downside was being moved around every few years. Very disruptive as a kid but made me very adaptable to live almost anywhere as an adult. We were lucky because we had mostly good postings, but some military folks get posted to some real Bumphuck, Nowhere type places.

Military bases are weird places to grow up. Everybody works for the same employer, wears a uniform and has a status assigned by rank. You either give orders or obey orders. It's not like on civy street where there is usually more room for negotiation. It must really suck to have to call some guy you might think is a real asshole by the name "sir". I was always branded on the base as an "officer's kid" and higher standards where expected which is a bit of a heavy scene to lay on a kid.

Military people tend to think along similiar conservative political lines. I's not that they're brainwashed but they are definately influenced to think a certain way. Individualism and free thought tends to be discouraged. You can see that just in some of the military types that post here on Slowtwitch. That's because team effort/discipline is encouraged rather than emphasis on the individual which is understandable such they are a fighting/killing organizaton.

As a teenager in high school living on a military base I felt like a caged animal and couldn't wait to get out and see life from another perspective. Still, I am grateful to have grown up as a military brat even though I decided against the lifestyle for myself.

I seriously thought about a military career in my early teens but my time was the Viet Nam era so that and having lived on military bases much of my life, when graduating high school I decided that I had seen more than enough of military lifestyle and wanted something completely different.

You have to decide several things. Is this a long term or short term duration? Are you really a personality that can hack that kind of regimentation.

You'll likely make more money on civy street than in the air force. However, the military can give a comfortable lifestyle with a good but not great pension and if you're lucky can get some decent postings.

With your education I'd assume you'd be going in as an officer. You certainly shouldn't accept anything less.

Had I gone into the military, for me it would have definately been the navy. I love boats and scuba diving!

Think about it seriously. The air force can be a great career, but it's not for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Air Force as a career? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though right now I'd be very wary about going into federal law enforcement if you want to have any sort of life at all outside of work. We're talking 20+ straight days of work, many/most of them 12+ hours, and being told that you shouldn't even bother asking for leave between now and November elections level of overtime from the people I know in some parts of that sector.

On the bright side, you do get to rack up a nice amount of overtime pay.
Quote Reply
Re: Air Force as a career? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The amount of working hours, I agree, should be factored into the decision. But I don't think the feds are working longer hours than most in the military- ever, and certainly not now.

Do special agents get overtime? I always figgered it was a salaried job.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never 'decided' to make the Air Force a career, it just kind of happened. Over 20 years now, and all but a four year staff tour flying tankers. No regrets!

The worst parts: Moving every 3 years, on average. And the last few years, the huge numbers of days deployed.

The best parts: The people I work and fly with.

Be happy to add more offline - you should be able to un-monge my e-mail address.

Mike

(finally home in Wichita)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey ecb, I hope you got my email the other day...

I have no pipe dreams of flying, though that would be cool.

---Do not consider it a "pipe dream". It's quite the possibility.

More wondering about the lifestyle.

--- Suprisingly, A lot less stressful than trying to climb the civilian corporate ladder.

As a background I am male, 24, B.S. in Finance and am 5'10 150 lbs.

---sorry. Not interested. I like girls. Haha. Sorry. I just HAD to do that.

Of the four branches, they have the lamest uniforms IMO.

---yep. But chicks dug my flight suit. I just hated wearing it.

I always thought the Coast Guard would be cool.

---No choice in what job the Coast Guard gives you, though. That is a drawback. And they work long shifts.
As an aside, there IS a big difference btw the work days regarding the different services. In the AF, you'll likely get "gym time" during the duty day, and will probably not have to do lame ass group PT (usually makes you out of shape if anything).

My advice is go Marine Corps. Officer Candidate School, Quantico, Va. You will not regret it.

---No argument there. It's probably a great life experience.

Have you thought about the fire department. Awesome 24 hour shifts, cool uniforms, unbelievabe benefits, early retirement etc. We have such a variety of college educated people who finish school and start their career of choice only to relize that they hate their choice. I would not trade my job for fives times the money and if money is the issue start a side business and make lots. If you are a triathlete consider all of the training time while on duty and off. I also have my private pilots ticket that I studied for while at the fire station. Just my two cents.

who's hiring??!?!

Private message me and I can start brain washing you.
---hey! You never said what you did in the AF?

With your background, have you considered the FBI? You seem to be a text book example of special agent material, and God knows they could use the help.
---think long and hard about that decision. It is a very beauracratic organization. Maybe even more so than the military. Finance? As a white male, they are usually looking for accountants, lawyers, computer scientists, or linguists.

Military bases are weird places to grow up.
---I've always thought the brat lifestyle would be an interesting way to grow up.

It's not like on civy street where there is usually more room for negotiation. It must really suck to have to call some guy you might think is a real asshole by the name "sir".
---haha. That happens everywhere, military or not.

Military people tend to think along similiar conservative political lines.
---generally, yea. That's probably correct. However, good goes along with that as well.

You have to decide several things. Is this a long term or short term duration? Are you really a personality that can hack that kind of regimentation.

---99% of the population can handle it, most just choose not to try.

You'll likely make more money on civy street than in the air force. However, the military can give a comfortable lifestyle with a good but not great pension
---find me a better defined benefit pension plan offered by a civilian organization! Especially Officer pay. Heck, just find me another defined pension plan. You cannot beat that 20 year pension. Anywhere.

With your education I'd assume you'd be going in as an officer. You certainly shouldn't accept anything less.
---That's true. Unless there is a very specific enlisted job you want. My friend is an arab linguist. Officers don't do that. He had a $60,000+ reenlistment bonus. As a staff sergeant...

Think about it seriously. The air force can be a great career, but it's not for everyone.
---yep. But once your too old to do it. Your too old. It's only four years, and it will go fast.

Though right now I'd be very wary about going into federal law enforcement if you want to have any sort of life at all outside of work. We're talking 20+ straight days of work, many/most of them 12+ hours, and being told that you shouldn't even bother asking for leave between now and November elections level of overtime from the people I know in some parts of that sector.

On the bright side, you do get to rack up a nice amount of overtime pay.

---true about the crappy hours. But no overtime pay. Federal LE gets 25% of their salary as automatic OT. IF you work it or not, or more. You'de be better of as a Capt. in the military...or the Navy. ha.

The amount of working hours, I agree, should be factored into the decision. But I don't think the feds are working longer hours than most in the military- ever, and certainly not now.
---unless your in the Air Force! 7:30-4:30, and golf! Actually, it depends on your job.

word.

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply