Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tufo tape question
Quote | Reply
I've read a couple of threads lately that mentions tufo tape as a good way to adhere tubular tires to rims. However, one statement makes me reluctant to use this product. The poster stated that when removing an old tubular, the tape will completely release from the rim with no residue. What do you do when you have a flat out on the road, or heaven forbid, during a race? With no residual glue on the rim, what will the new tire attach to? In addition, I read a product review in which the reviewer stated that the tape had separated during a crit with disasterous consequences. The tape portion that adheres to the tire was still on the tire, and the part that adheres to the rim was still on the rim.

I have already purchased the 'extreme' version of the tape, but I'm not sure that I want to use it.

Wadda ya think?

Kirby
Quote Reply
Re: Tufo tape question [slowride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the tape for nearly one year. I've had no problems with it, other then a glue being forced out the side. It then hardens in little balls and can hit your brake pads as the wheel spins. But I also pump my tires, for races, to over 150 psi, its a mental thingy! This may be forcing more glue out then normal.

I also read the statement about the tape staying on the tire. Does this mean I have to carry a glue tape as well as a spare tire......NO. That means the user may have placed the wrong side of the tape on the rim. The glue on the rim side is the stronger of the two and should remain on the rim when the tire is removed. No need to cary a spare tape when you use it correctly.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Tufo tape question [rocketman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got some of this stuff coming in with new wheels. Do you need to preglue the spare tyre?
Quote Reply
Re: Tufo tape question [Keith Pillers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My spares are lightly pre-glued just in case. I've never (knock on wood) had a flat with a tubular tire. I don't think you need to pre-glue though. If the tape is on right and stays on the rim when the flat is removed, you should be good to go with the spare.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the exreme is used by a couple national track teams (high pressure) and tons of crossers 35psi low pressure. So rolling a tyre should not happen under any extreme.
I have never had the tape come off the rim, but quite the opposite, It was about a 6 pack job to get it off. G
Quote Reply
Re: Tufo tape question [slowride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the tufo sealant and do not care a spare tubular. One of my teammates used it during a race and it works great. Just make sure you have the valve core remover tool or you make a mess trying to get it in the tire.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the sealent. Any oppinions on it? Yeah or neigh? I'm heading to Brazil and finalizing some equipment preperations.
Quote Reply
Re: Tufo tape question [Keith Pillers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My teammate is still running his tire that he got a flat on. He has about 600 miles on it now. The one thing he has noticed is he cannot use it on the trainer. It causes a leak if he puts that tire on the trainer, so he just switches wheels for that (which I recommend, don't waste a race tire on training).

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Tufo tape question [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's quite a testimonial. I'm running a 19mm front and 21 rear. Guess I'll be throwing the sealant in there.
Quote Reply