Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Abnormal Cramping
Quote | Reply
I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend who is desperately seeking advice. Over the past year and a half he has been suffering from strange leg cramps after getting himself into excellent shape. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We are in Socal if you have any doc/sports medicine advice.

"It seems to be very rare, and is this: three times in the past year and a half, I have gotten in excellent, race-winning shape, training hard and doing everything right (certainly not overtraining, I know what that feels like). Then I take 1-3 days off from riding and my muscles start to "cramp up" and are unusable for 2-3 weeks, during which time it is difficult to walk at some points. As I said, this only happens following periods where I've been very fit."
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Cramping [spinspokes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where does the cramp start and run up to? Not sure if this would fit here, but I used to get terrible charlie horses, and then I started a stretching regiment. Now, I am infinitely more flexible. Warm up and cool down are very important, needless to say. I don't know if any of this is relative depending on the type of cramp though.
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Cramping [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This last time they started in my lower quads, then were in the outside of my
quads from hip to knee (hip flexors?). This last time was a fairly mild
occurance though. In the past they have been pretty much in every muscle
below my waist. More usually above the knee than below though. I would
guess just because that muscle group is a lot bigger"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there something else that you are changing as well, such as your diet? After finishing IM Utah last year (If you can call that a finish) I (later) developed cramps in my calf muscles so intense that it actually tore some tissue. My magnesium had been depleted.

The doc told me this: The lack of several minerals plays a part in cramps, and at different times in one's training progression.

You could be experiencing a drop in one of several minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, etc.

Also... If it is a muscular problem, you might want to post your question on the discussion forum at the julstro website www.julstro.com/18.html. They are the muscle experts.

Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Cramping [Train Wreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your sports doc thought is a very good one.

2nd, I'd wonder about recovery when he's training hard. I hear that he knows what overtraining feels like. I just wonder if he's pushing his neuromuscular system too hard, too consistently, and then during those three days of "recovery" or adaption, wham, he gets nailed. The cramping-electrolyte connection also sounds like it could be in the mix.
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Cramping [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bring up a good point as well Chappy. Yet another possibility is the issue of lactic acid build-up. The lactic acid that is present just doesn't go away when one stops exercising. Backing off exercise lessens the flow of fresh blood to the tissue (which flushes out the toxin). Deep muscle massage (the painful kind) will flush lactic acid, bring in fresh oxygen, and let the muscles relax.

When training that hard for extended periods, this could be a case of several different things contrubuting to the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for contributing. I'll pass everyone's advice along.

Michael
Quote Reply