Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

run training for 1/2 IM
Quote | Reply
I'm experimenting this season with fewer workouts of longer duration. My endurance is really improving and I seem to be able to hold a higher speed over longer times, although short distance speed (like a 30' TT) has not changed much.

Currently my running consists of:
4x1 mile. Total workout about 8-9 miles. (1hr to 1:10)
15 mile LSD (2 hrs)
6-7 mile brick off a 60 mile bike. Bike and run at or near race pace (run might be just a little slower). (3 hr bike, 1 hour run)

Any suggestions on how to improve this schedule? For you training bible people, I'm in Build 1. My stretch goal is 5:20 in a 1/2 IM this June, I'm expecting 95* temperatures for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: run training for 1/2 IM [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your going to Buffalo Springs! Better get a few hills for the 17% grade coming out of T1 and the 8% out of T2.

Regards,

Mike
Houston, Texas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to incorporate Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1/2 Marathon training plan into my Half IM training plan and it worked out great.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm

I'm going back to his marathon training plan to build up more mileage for later in the season and also to help shed some weight to nail my A races in Sept & Dec.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom;

Running for some people comes easier..

I do not do many track workouts as they do nothing but invite injury..

I would make sure to start adding tempo efforts or BUild ups in your medium distance runs and also your long runs. for example, for your long run, insert soimething like a set of 5,4,3,2,1 min run ups at race pace or +10 BPM. Track work outs are OK, but as an endurance athlete, you may benefit by doing "fartlek" type workouts.

You can also insert multiple 2 minute tempo runs over your medium distance runs. Maybe warm up easy, then build to a modest pace, then insert 5 x 2 minute run ups. Recover for however long it takes to bring your HR back, then repeat. In essence, you are buildiong speed into your regular runs.

It is not suggested to run more than than 20-30 minutes off your bike. I am not doing 1 hour runs after a long bike. All you need is a few minutes to adapt. No on hour stuff..
Quote Reply