Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to rde in Naples, Fl.?
Quote | Reply

Anybody got the 411 on where to ride in Naples? The girl and I are headed over for a little rest and relaxation this weekend (an escape from working on the new house) but I want to make sure I get my Sunday ride in.

Not looking for a group ride. She doesn't have enough experience yet. Just looking for a route. Maybe 20-30 miles.

Any info -- I'd be much obliged.

gracias.

SM
Quote Reply
Re: Where to rde in Naples, Fl.? [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, as it happens, I just returned from Bonita Springs (about 20 miles north). I found the area kinda difficult to ride in, lots of construction and narrow -> no shoulders. That said, I did get over 200 miles in on US 40 in the bike lane it has and I did a lot of riding on Bonita Beach Road up to Ft. Meyers. Other roads I travled that were decent were Vanderbilt road to the beach and Barefoot Beach road and state park.

I found the drivers to be pretty cyclist friendly (no honks and only one "get off the road"). The terrain is Ober-flat but the wind was downright brutal while I was there (25 mph winds every day).

Have fun and I HTH.

Vince
Quote Reply
Re: Where to rde in Naples, Fl.? [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I frequent Naples often and ride with the NATS (naples area triathletes) squad and a group of serious roadies. Joe Bonness is a regular on these rides. Here is the link for the rides: http://www.naples.net/sports/nats/index.htm You'll want the group that rides from Bicycle Shoppe. You might drop Joe B an e-mail for more info.

The animal ride is at 7:00am from The Bicycle Shoppe of Naples, 8789 Tamiami Trail, Market Place at Pelican Bay (24 mph or faster).

Also a new 50 meter pool is on line at the YMCA Norris Aquatic Complex located in the Community School on Livingston/ Pine Ridge Road. Monday through Friday 6:00 am - 8:00 am.

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.”
Vince Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Gordon Drive [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For easy riding just head south from Old Naples down Gordon Drive. Take in all the fingers (roads) of Port Royal. Or ride loops within Pelican Bay development. All good roads. But have a keen eye on the Seniors as Naples has more than its fair share of them!

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.”
Vince Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Definitely ride through Port Royal [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As the Fitness Director of the Port Royal Club I can say that if this is your first time to Naples you should check out the amazing homes in Port Royal. When you see the huge (48,000 square foot home) on Godon Realize that the owner was a High School Dropout who happened to invent cable television.

BTW President Bush was here this afternoon for a fundraiser at one of the members homes. Being around here seems to bring some very interesting events.
Quote Reply
Re: Definitely ride through Port Royal [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not sure I'm in shape quite yet for anthing called the "animal" ride. Sounds like Port Royal might be good. I'm assuming it's a gated community (it is Naples after all). Any advice on parking? Will they let us in or should we park somewhere near by and ride in?

thanks again,

SM
Quote Reply
Re: Definitely ride through Port Royal [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Port royal area is not gated although many of the homes are. Plenty of parking in old Naples and along Gordon drive.

Vince Lombardi
Quote Reply