Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay Zero's - Longterm durability...
Quote | Reply
Okay - try to make this a readers digest version: wife has touchy knees from running back in her college/law school days (used cheap shoes). When she started cycling (before we met) she tried SPD-R style pedals which caused knee pain so she switched to Speedplay X series pedals and pain went away! I came along and upgraded everything but her pedals until she discovered that walking in wet grass/mud and no cleat covers sucked. She was one of the first to get Speedplay Zero's when they hit the street.

Fast forward to last year when we got Shimano R-214 shoes and after a few months her knees started bothering her again. Tried everthing to fix problem and finally resolved that it was the shoes so in February we got Specialized Pro Carbon shoes with "body geometry" insoles as well as a second set of Zeros for her TT bike (had been using Zero's on road and X series on TT bike). Once again the problem was temporarily resolved but at the beginning of the month, she was again having some minor/major knee pains so I took a close look at her pedals/shoes/cleats this time. What I discovered was that on the older set of Zero's (stainless) the blue thermo plastic around the point where the cleat spring clip attaches around the pedal was worn/rounded and allowed a substantial amount of medial (lateral? ) wobble/rotation when clipped into the old pedals yet next to none with the new pedals - bingo!

Apparently this also happened to be the source of a clicking noise (originally that started up 2-weeks ago (thought it was the bottom bracket) as well as her knee pains. Called speedplay and talked to tech support and based on that conversation, it appears that we should have been regularly applying dry lube - possibly as often as prior to every ride. So I am curious if any of you that use speedplay x series/zero style pedals, have noticed this type of wear? Do you use dry lube and if so, do you use it prior to each ride? At $185 per set of pedals (not too mention $40 for the cleats) replacing them when they wear out every two years will get old fast!

Michael

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero's - Longterm durability... [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had Zero's on my bike for a couple years now (SS ones as well). Haven't noticed any unusual wear on the plastic part of the pedal so far (but to be honest, I really haven't looked closely). Haven't had any wierd noises or noticed any odd float/movement issues with them. I did recently have a spring break (e.g., a broken spring - not a trip to the beach) - the semicircular metal spring that engages the pedal broke. I talked to Speedplay and mailed them in - the cleats were way too old for a warranty replacement (I have to agree with them there), but they also recommended frequent application of dry lube. I just put new cleats on my shoes, and I'll try to stick with the frequent lubrication.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the Speedplay X series for years. I seldom lube. Maybe I should. I have had no problems. I do grease the spindle once or twice a year though. That is important.

I have yet to kill a set of these pedals. I will keep trying though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have recently switched from SPD to Speedplay X and have had tremendous frustration. When my cleats were installed, the LBS showed me how easy it was to clip in and out, as he held the shoe and clip together, but how much you would have to turn your foot to actually clip out. I was relieved, as I didn't want to be randomly unclipping. For the first 100 miles of my bike, for the life of me, I could not get/stay clipped in.

Applied lube to both pedal and cleat - voila! Do it every ride now with no further trouble. Now, I've been using White Lightning, which is a wax lube. I guess I'd better check on that one... some folks swear by it, others think it does more damage than good...

~Angie
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero's - Longterm durability... [adkoch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your supposed to lube speedplays? I've been doing something wrong. My speedplays are 5 and 3 yrs old. I lubed them twice, the intial install and the shoe switch. no problems at all. surprising news to me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AS the tech guys told you, you do have to lube the pedals and cleats regulrly with dry lube. That is about the only thing we use White Lightening for here in the bike shop. This information also appears in the installation instructions that accompany the pedals. Your dealer should have briefed you on this.

Also, the pedals and cleats need to be kept very clean. An accumulation of dirt rapidly accelrates wear of Speedplay pedals and may foul the cleats, interfereing with pedla engagement.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply