Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Profile ZB Armrest Catastrophic Failure
Quote | Reply
This morning, I was doing a 30 min commute ride to my office followed by a 90 min run. This is my "staple" twice on weekdays half Ironman run routine.

Anyway, I was ~1k from my office building when suddenly the bolt for the ZB armrest on my Profile Carbon Stryke bars (circa 2001), sheers out of its threads and the armrest pops out from under my forearm and hits the pavement. Luckily I was just cruising at 30 kph in a straight line, but I'd hate for this to happen to someone on the descent to Keene at Ironman LP or that wicked descent at Wildflower around 2 hours into the race. That would really suck.

The good news is that Profile has a voluntary recall on this part if you are not already aware of it. Details are found here:

http://www.profile-design.com/recall_zb.html.

If you have these armrest mounting brackets, do yourself a favour and get them switched to the improved model.

By the way, my 90 min run went great. I love this workout since it gets my legs warmed up first thing in the morning before my run and I finish right at my office and I can be ready for work at 9am ! Also gets me used to running off the bike without trashing my legs too badly.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Profile ZB Armrest Catastrophic Failure [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar problem with non ZB armrest PD aerobars. I have the aluminum model with the retractable armrests (forget the model name... "aero stryke" maybe). I've had these since 2001, and like them overall, but the small metal spring that makes the armrest pop up has broken twice on me. This spring also creates tension that secures the pin which, in turn, holds the armrest in place (and by now, many of you are wondering what the hell I am talking about).

Anyhow, my LBS has been pretty cool about changing this out. I don't know if its a common problem or just something that's happened to me.

Quote Reply
Re: Profile ZB Armrest Catastrophic Failure [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that there is a recall on that - I had mine break on my Carbon X and crashed...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile ZB Armrest Catastrophic Failure [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, the recall still exists. I called my LBS where I bought it and they did not cooperate, and then I called the Canadian Distributor who said they would send me a new bracket.

Fortunately, I did not crash this morning.

Here are the details of the recall;

ZB(tm) Bracket - Voluntary Recall Notice

In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Profile-Design of Long Beach CA is voluntarily recalling 3,102 "Carbon X" TM and 5,350 "Carbon Stryke" TM aero bar left and right forearm bracket pairs ("ZB brackets"). Only 50% of these products have been sold in the U.S. The U.S. CPSC will monitor this recall in the US for effectiveness. The Carbon X is a complete bicycle aero handlebar and stem system whereas the Carbon Stryke attaches to consumer's existing bicycle handlebar and stem configuration. Both aero bars and their respective recalled ZB brackets at issue are pictured below. The forearm pad ZB bracket can loosen and come off during use causing a loss of control of the bicycle. Profile-Design has received one report of an injury from a Carbon X ZB bracket coming loose. It has not received any reports of any injuries involving the Carbon Stryke ZB brackets.

This recall only involves the ZB brackets of the Carbon X aero bars sold from August 1, 1999 through present and the ZB brackets of the Carbon Stryke aero bars sold from May 6, 1999 through present. These products were sold aftermarket through independent bicycle retailers. The Carbon X's suggested retail price was $349.00 and Carbon Stryke's suggested retail price was $139.00. If the ZB brackets are of welded construction, spring loaded flip-up design, or do not have a bolted two piece design then the ZB bracket does not need to be replaced.

The Carbon X aero bars have "Profile Design" printed on the horizontal top sections of the "carbon wing" and have "Carbon X" printed on the forward pointing extensions (where your hands grip in the aero position) which are attached by the recalled ZB brackets. The Carbon Stryke aero bars have "Profile Design" and "Carbon Stryke" printed on the forward pointing extensions (where your hands grip in the aero position) which are attached by the recalled ZB brackets. Both aero bars were only available in black/grey carbon color.

Consumers should stop using the aero bars with the recalled ZB brackets immediately and obtain two replacement ZB brackets (left and right) from Profile-Design free of charge. Removal of the recalled ZB brackets and installation of the new ZB brackets only takes about 5 minutes using a 4 and 5 mm hex or "Allen" wrenches. Consumers should call Profile Design's recall hotline at (888) 800-5999 ext. 161 Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Pacific time to obtain the replacement ZB brackets. The recalled ZB brackets should be cut up and thrown away. Detailed instructions for removal of the recalled ZB brackets and installation of the replacements will be sent with the new ZB brackets, can be obtained by calling the number above or online with the help of our ZB bracket Recall Email address.

Click here for:
RETROFIT INSTRUCTIONS for
Carbon Stryke ZB brackets
Click here for:
RETROFIT INSTRUCTIONS for
Carbon X ZB brackets
Recalled Carbon Stryke ZB Brackets Recalled Carbon X ZB Brackets Complete Carbon Stryke Aero Bar
(pictured mounted on standard road bar) Complete Carbon X Aero Bar
(Pictured with shifters and brakes)

Profile Design, LLC, 2677 El Presidio Street, Long Beach, CA 90810

Phone: (888) 800-5999 ext. 161 Fax: (310) 747-0085

ZB bracket Recall Email: ZB-bracket-recall@profile-design.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just FYI, for those in the US....I had no problems contacting Profile Design directly. Maxine had the new brackets (and pads!) sent out very quickly. Glad to hear you didn't crash...

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Profile ZB Armrest Catastrophic Failure [Andrew_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a follow up from my posting yesterday, I contacted Outdoor Gear Canada, the Canadian distributor for Profile and they sent me the replacement ZB Armrests this morning by UPS. Awersome customer service !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue happen while riding on a tame stretch of road. One of the eyelets of the brackets that hold the arm pads just sheered off and the pad just dropped right onto the road.

I contacted Profile about it, showing them with digital pictures what happened, and they sent replacements right away They covered shipping form the US to Taiwan, too. I was impressed by the service.

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply