Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'03 Bianchi XL Titanium Full Campy Record
Quote | Reply
61cm 2003 Bianchi XL Ti w/full Campy Record - $3500

This has been my baby for the last three seasons - fantastic bike. I ride it a lot, but with a stable of bikes, this one only has about 5000 miles on it, even as my main bike. Very quick, comfy, light... all those titanium things. In the sea of Titanium bikes, I bought this one because it was unique, HOT, and has a mildly compact geometry (though they still offered it in 8 sizes), which is important for stiffness in a 61 cm frame. At the time, this was one of very few titanium frames with shaped tubes. The downtube has biaxial ovalization ("MegaTube design" is what Bianchi calls it) and the chainstays are squoval. Probably the coolest feature of the frame however, is the external butting. Before they shaped or welded the tubes, the ran each one through a mill and machined 0.2-0.9mm off the center section of each tube to trim a substantial amount of weight off. I think this is the coolest Ti frame Bianchi has ever produced, as their later models were heavier or Carbon/Ti mixes. They finish it off by polishing it to a shine with no clear coat and slapping some tribal decals on there.

I'm a bit of a weight weanie, so I built it up light (15.25 lbs w/o pedals or cages) with Campy Record and American classic stuff. Here's the spec list (you have a choice of two wheelsets):

Fork is an EC90 SLx from 2005 as a replacement for the original because I stupidly installed a thompson elite stem and crushed the steerer tube. This fork performs better anyway plus it's lighter and looks super sweet.

Shifters, brake calipers, rear der, ft der, cassette (12-25) are all '03 campy record.

Crank (175mm), bb, and chain are from '06 <700 miles - replaced as an upgrade/worn chain

Stem and h-bar are ITM Millenium 26.0

Thompson Elite seatpost with SLR saddle (the 185g one), Cuissi stainless cages, Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires, Salsa Ti skewers

Wheelset 1; Built in 2005, ~2500 miles, claimed 1280g: American classic hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes & nipples laced to one Velocity razor and one Mavic Open Pro. 28H/32H; radial/3X Disclaimer: These hubs were recalled due to a ridiculously thin pawl engagement washer. It has been replaced with a beefier one and I've never had a problem with the hubs before or after the recall. Wheels have stayed true since the day they were built. These wheels are flexier than wheelset 2.

Wheelset 2; Built in 2003, ~2500 miles, claimed 1410g: American classic hubs, DT 1.8 straight spokes w/black alloy nipples laced to 2 velocity Aerohead rims. 28H/32H; 2X/3X. Wheels have stayed true since the day they were built.

Dura Ace SPD-SL pedals for an additional $90

I love this bike. I've taken emmaculate care of it, and it has served me well. Very few cosmetic blemishes (as titanium is hard to scratch), but there are a couple scuffs, nothing deep. The seat tube decal is peeling back from being in a stand so many times over the years. I leave it to you to rip it off or keep it on. Also, Bianchi made an SLR saddle decorated with the same tribal decals as are on the frame. I can get my hands on that saddle (it has Mg rails instead of Ti) if you would like for no additional cost.

Here's the Bianchi Archive:

http://gianni.bianchiusa.com/...L_Titanium_zoom.html

The Dude abides.
Last edited by: The Dude: Oct 17, 06 10:50
Quote Reply