Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My new Soloist ROCKS!!
Quote | Reply
i've been doing a few duathlons a year, but mostly riding with my friends on group rides, so i figured i'd check out the Soloist based on cervelo's "perfect if you ride a few time trials a year" recommendations. I tried "slamming" my road bike, but i am mega-unflexible, and there was no way i was going to run well off of the bike. Also, my front end was too high, and i'm oddly proportioned, with a long torso and shortish legs, so my seatpost was barely popping out of my lemond road bike.

anyway, based on Tom D's review on bikesportmich (can i just say, "THANKS!!"), and on everyone else's advise on this board, i got a Soloist team frameset and swapped my parts over from my road bike.

the bike ROCKS!! this is my first compact geometry road bike, and it is perfect for my proportions. i feel 'big' on the bike. not bad-big, but rather i picture myself on it like the old shots of J. Zack on his bikes looking like he could just muscle or throw his bike around at will (hope that makes any sense). the bike climbs amazingly--it's light and stiff and just flies when i stand on the pedals. by the way, i also invested in road pedals based on some of your advice on the board (Time Impact) and it was a great move--platform feels huge and it really does feel lighter. seated climbs are also very good on the bike, by the way.

i haven't had the chance to set it up with the post forward. based on some advice i got on this board, i got the syntace c2 clips in the size small (i'm 5'10, on a 56cm soloist) and they were a bit short for me. they would have been ok if i was going to ride at a true 75 degrees, but i plan on being way forward on the saddle at closer to 77-78, so i am getting the mediums in instead. should be awesome. highly scientific testing done in my basement suggests that it's going to feel great. i'll post an update when i get them in.

hopefully there's a photo attached here, but if not, can someone please fix it. it's set up with ultegra parts, easton stem/bars, time impact pedals, and American Classic CR420 clinchers (love them!). thanks for looking--just very excited to show anyone who'll look!

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/...y/files/cervelo1.asp
Quote Reply
Re: My new Soloist ROCKS!! [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya see people! Man buys a Cervelo, man is happier then Bunnyman in a mullet convention. Do I have to draw you people a map?

Nice ride my man.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was doing it again, instead of purchasing a TCR/P2K as road/tri bikes, a Soloist would have probably have been the ticket for the type of riding I do. I spend most of the time on my road bike group riding with roadies, do the odd century and so far have only raced sprint tris and local club TT's. Also I live in a reasonably hilly area. No regrets for the bikes I do have, but the Soloist would have probably have served me just as well and I could have saved some money. Sounds like you made a good choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome - I'm jealous.

As I've mentioned: The Soloist is one of the most underrated bikes out there. It is a unique home run. I really like it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: My new Soloist ROCKS!! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question:

Not particular to the soloist, but I'll ask here anyway. Gerard mentions having a swapable spare seat post. Do people every have swapable spare handlebar setups? This would seem to make a lot of sense, but I've never actually seen it done. How does it work if you want to change between bar-end shifters and STIs?

Been casually looking into the Soloist Team for lots of hilly training and just a little bit of multisport racing. Currently on a Specialized Allez A1 Comp. Any comparisons out there? I want to get a sense of what I might expect to be different. Tried a couple local shops (SF bay area) for a test ride but neither Transitions Sports nor Freewheel Cycle have any in stock. Always hear "try before you buy" and "buy what fits" but I can't find these anywhere.

DKSF
Quote Reply
Re: My new Soloist ROCKS!! [dksf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was using the TCR for tris, I had two seat posts. Used the regular Giant aero post for regular riding and a Bontanger neutral offset for tris. Had a seperate seat on each post. Made for a quicker swap.

I also tried swapping between Vision Techs and drop bars. Now that was a pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swapping front ends is a pain, I would suggest clip-on aerobars with as little stack height as possible (so you don't have to lower your dropbars and still have a low aerobar position).

As for trying the soloist in your area, Davis is probably not exactly next-door but Davis wheelworks does have lots of Soloists.

Gerard.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh sure - you just had to post this didn't you!? This is the bike I've been drooling over for 2 years now and was thinking I'd put the purchase on hold one more year. Not so sure now...

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DKSF I think Cupertino Bike Shop usually has them in stock.

http://www.cupertinobike.com/

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: My new Soloist ROCKS!! [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, very true. I didn't think of that end of the bay area, but Cupertino also sells the Soloist and they're an exellent shop.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: My new Soloist ROCKS!! [RipVanWinkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
As I've mentioned: The Soloist is one of the most underrated bikes out there. It is a unique home run. I really like it.
Wait a sec - didn't you once post a very laudatory review of the Soloist on your website, then later give it rather negative reviews here until you were called on the discrepancy? Now you're high on it again? C'mon, Tom: make up your mind!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Posting problems...I'll try this one more time)

Rip, if I recall, Tom checked out two different versions of the Soloist. The first was the original iteration, and is the subject of his laudatory web review. Then came the Team CSC version -- which initially came out with the wrong fork, I believe, which adversely affected its handling. Tom pointed this out (and Cervelo recalled the fork).

Point it, yes, Tom's conclusions varied (somewhat: I think he still liked the Team CSC Soloist, overall) -- because there was a fundamental difference between the two bikes.

And, more generally, if you think Tom is anything but completely forthcoming in his reviews, or that he might hold back a negative opinion about a bike from a line he sells, you might want to check out his 2002 Litespeed Blade review.

Steve Nichols
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I also don't believe that the recalled fork had anything to do with it.

So what do you believe was the cause, Rip?
Quote Reply
A bit off-topic - anything new on the R.1? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very very intrigued by the R.1 - I know, a million compact Al frames out there, but I really like the round tubes, reasonable diameters, and the stealthy matte black paint - any chance you'll keep it? When might they see mass production? Will they be more expensive than the Soloist? Will they have a bit more clearance for say 25/28mm tires?
Quote Reply
Re: A bit off-topic - anything new on the R.1? [Max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Very very intrigued by the R.1 - I know, a million compact Al frames out there"

Obviously I love the Cervelo line but I would have to wonder what's unique about the R1 and if it can be produced for the same price as an aluminium TCR. In fact, I wonder what the R2.5 offers over the composite TCR. The other Cervelo bikes are much more obvious - unique aero tubing or the "steel is real" Prodigy, all for a great price. Not so convinced yet about their compact frames.
Quote Reply
Re: A bit off-topic - anything new on the R.1? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right you are, but there's a chance they could make it unique by a few small, but signifcant mods.

For example, some riders used 24 and 28mm tires in the most recent Paris-Roubaix. Wouldn't it be great if this bike allowed that? My current compact Al frame doesn't.

A different geometry / component spec could make the grade, and so could the paint scheme. I, for one, don't care for the ugly paneling that's found on most Taiwan/China produced bikes, including the Al Giants. Tasteful single- or two-color scheme would do just great.

I also don't believe that dubious differences-just-to-be-different (e.g. Al/C/Ti, spine/lug/inserts, etc.) do much good beyond superficially differentiating one company's bike from another...

Of course, one could always go with a custom steel f/f with all the goodies and custom paint for well under $1300, so big-C would have to do some thinking on that account. (e.g. frame weight difference would be quite small, though for the same weight, dent resistance and torsional stiffness of the Al frame would probably be significantly greater.)

There's also the human factor - if you like the people and the fact they design what they sell... Can be significant for some people :-)
Quote Reply
Re: A bit off-topic - anything new on the R.1? [Max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually most of our bikes provide enough clearance for 25/28mm tires (even 28mm cyclocross tires), and both the R1 and R2.5 provide that clearance with room to spare. This is required for Paris-roubaix, since the standard there is not so much the clearance for a 25mm tire as it is for a 25mm tire on a wheel with a few missing spokes.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply