Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Your 'No Days Off' Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back" [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without reading this whole thread I have always believed recovery is the most important component of training. If you don't recover from your workouts you don't make gains.
Quote Reply
Re: "Your 'No Days Off' Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back" [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Pop Tarts are a part of my pre and post workout/race fueling.

Ya, I eat them sometimes but switch them out with other stuff to keep it interesting. :)

I'm actually excited about this!!!

It's like Spinal Tap x History Channel's Food That Built America

"They can never get stale because they were never fresh to begin with" - Jerry Seinfeld

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "Your 'No Days Off' Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Pop Tarts are a part of my pre and post workout/race fueling.

Ya, I eat them sometimes but switch them out with other stuff to keep it interesting. :)

I'm actually excited about this!!!

It's like Spinal Tap x History Channel's Food That Built America

"They can never get stale because they were never fresh to begin with" - Jerry Seinfeld

That trailer was frigging hilarious!!! Thanks, I had not heard of this movie before. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: "Your 'No Days Off' Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back" [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjwcanary wrote:
Seeing this thread is kinda wild for me as I was planning to come to the community with a question related to rest days.

For some background - 56yo male triathlete who trains with a program that does not have rest days as part of the weekly schedule. Their view is that life pressures will mean most people miss a few days training per month and so rest days are not needed to be baked in.

I have been with this training company for about 2 years and have seen solid race results. Since becoming semi-retired at the beginning of the year, I have started to find I am building a lot of fatigue each week as my training is pretty much uninterrupted (I used to travel frequently for work previously). Literally this week, I decided to take Monday off completely and found I felt much more energized and excited about a big day of training on Tuesday (Bike, run and intense weights/plyometrics - total 3 hours).

I was meant to do a 1 hour run yesterday but decided to try a little experiment and take that day off as well. Again, I had much more energy and positive attitude towards another big day of training today (same schedule as Tuesday).

My hope is to swim tomorrow, bike for 2 hours Saturday and do my long run (75 minutes) on Sunday netting me out around the 9-10 hours that is a typical training volume for me anyway.

Appreciating this is just a single week and that there may be other factors at play here, my plan is to start taking Mondays and Wednesdays off each week as I feel much much fresher and strong than I normally would at this point of the week.

I'm curious is many other people have started adding in rest days after a sustained period of 7 day a week training and what the long term effects were.

The problem with the approach I highlighted above is that on those days where life pressures force a day off, those same pressures prevent it from being a stress-free day. IME, those sorts of days are not recuperative, and in fact are often more stressful than a training day might be.

I personally don't plan a lot of rest days, but I take at least one rest day per week. I let my recovery determine when it's time to take a break. Depending on the nature of my training, I might find that recovery seems good but I'll take a rest day if I know I'm planning a higher intensity workout in a couple of days, especially if I've gone 5-6 days since the last rest day. It seems counterproductive to even attempt a workout at threshold or above on the tail end of 6 days of workouts. Can you do it? Sure. Will it lead to the desired adaptation? Probably not.
Quote Reply
Re: "Your 'No Days Off' Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back" [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
Depending on the nature of my training, I might find that recovery seems good but I'll take a rest day if I know I'm planning a higher intensity workout in a couple of days, especially if I've gone 5-6 days since the last rest day. It seems counterproductive to even attempt a workout at threshold or above on the tail end of 6 days of workouts. Can you do it? Sure. Will it lead to the desired adaptation? Probably not.

That’s pretty much the title of this thread, and something I think many people don’t fully understand. You wouldn’t race fatigued, so why do a key workout that way? Getting to only 90% of prescribed intensity for a key workout won’t lead to optimal gains.
Quote Reply
Re: "Your 'No Days Off' Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back" [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I identify as Runner, so it's easier to find training time

When I need to squeeze in a run during the workday, I generally bank 10 minutes per mile , to include my run+cool-down; so if my calendar gives me half an hour, I can set my status as "Away", get a 5K in, and be back online at work before anyone notices 😎

That's if I overslept, of course, being a DawnPatrol person 🌞

I would run all day/every day if I could, because I just love it!!! Even on the Mean Streets of the Jersey Pinelands (why is there no "Gravel Racing" for Runners? Or do I not know of it?)

I'm not looking to improve dramatically, but I will say that I haven't slowed significantly over the past decade; the opposite, in fact

I solely credit the 100/100s

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "Your 'No Days Off' Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back" [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Mudge wrote:
Depending on the nature of my training, I might find that recovery seems good but I'll take a rest day if I know I'm planning a higher intensity workout in a couple of days, especially if I've gone 5-6 days since the last rest day. It seems counterproductive to even attempt a workout at threshold or above on the tail end of 6 days of workouts. Can you do it? Sure. Will it lead to the desired adaptation? Probably not.

That’s pretty much the title of this thread, and something I think many people don’t fully understand. You wouldn’t race fatigued, so why do a key workout that way? Getting to only 90% of prescribed intensity for a key workout won’t lead to optimal gains.

The flip side is tapering to 0% fatigue for every key workout isn't optimal either. It's a balance
Quote Reply
Re: "Your 'No Days Off' Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back" [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro tip: almost anything you read in a magazine is bad advice.
Quote Reply
Re: "Your 'No Days Off' Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back" [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
I'm curious as to what ST thinks about the article below, which argues that training seven days a week is "dumb, pointless, and holding you back". I am certainly not denying the importance of rest. Obviously, our bodies need to time to absorb the training and we all need to re-charge our mental and physical batteries. But according to the article, I'm one of the athletes whose training is "just plain stupid" because more often than not I train seven days a week. I usually aim for 4 rides, 4, runs, and 3 swims. I find it easier logistically to spread my workouts over seven days and reduce the days I double up. I will take a day off if I'm tired, but I'll often go 4-6 weeks without a day off. I'm sure that wouldn't work for everyone, but I've never been injured and six years in I do not suffer from burnout. I usually have a ~2-3-month offseason where I do little to no structured training and do whatever I feel like on any given day. During that time I'm likely to take a day off each week.

Your "No Days Off" Mentality is Dumb, Pointless, and Holding You Back – Triathlete
  • "So why is it that there’s an entire population of triathletes who believe that they are better off not resting?.... while I typically do not judge some of our community’s more alternative training methods, I can’t hold back my opinion on this one: It’s just plain stupid".

I take a day off every week. When I am tied take an extra day or two off.

Yes, balancing Running, Biking, Swimming is a challenge. I used to have the luxury of doing two-a-days and could hit 4 workouts for every discipline in a week. Now I only can do one work out a day and it looks like 2 runs, 2 bikes, 2 swims.

I am limited on time during the week so my only long day is Saturday and I have been doing 90-120 minutes of bike/run bricks then going to my 90-120' masters swim class. I feel that the long day on Saturday is really important since I am limited to 45-90 minute workouts during the week and I am training for 2-3 hours races (Marathons & Olympic Tris). I like my long workouts to be as long as my races for the type of stuff I am going.

When I was young and impressionable one of my grade school teachers told me of a lady who was a marathoner that ran 7 days a week. She was also told that her training was dumb and holding her back. She was prescribed to take one day a week off which she resisted but ultimately gave it a shot and with no other changes in her training took 12 minutes off her next Marathon.

When I was a pure runner I ran 6 days a week but that training was still limiting me. When I crossed over to Triathlon and went to just 3 days of running a week (with cross training to cycling/swimming on the other three days) I too say improvement similar to the 12 minutes that the lady marathoner saw. So...recovery doesn't have to always be a full day off. I think that the people who are successful on 7 day plans make it work because they have a lot of passive recovery in their schedule. Through trial and error I have gone through the passive recovery and the active recovery and the passive recovery always gets me better race day results than the active recovery. So, for me, passive recovery it is.

I think burn out comes from training year round with no breaks not from training 7-days a week. If you are taking 2-3 months off every year that is a really long off season. One months off a year is the rule of thumb I usually hear recommended.

Six years isn't very long. I feel that it takes you at least 3 years in endurance sports to peak. If you are going to burn out early I feel that would be at around 6-8 years. It is not hard to find people in endurance sports who have been doing it for 40+ years.

Do what you want. I am a believer in taking a day off every week. If you haven't tried anything new in the past 2 years change something up and see what the results are. There is no reason to do things the way you always have without every testing out other training. You learn new things as you try new things. If 6 days a week makes you slower (it won't) and you don't like it (to each their own) you can go back to 7-days a week and know that is what is best for you. If you don't try new things how will you know you respond best to?
Quote Reply

Prev Next