Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: BC leads the way... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Basically this, people can be alcoholics and in some cases severely and still function, work, and pay taxes.

Hard opiate addiction is much worse, there really is no sliding scale in terms of usage and addiction, one weekend maybe casual use and “exploration” 2-4 weeks later it is quite easy for someone to be a full blown addict, at that point your chances for a normal life are statistically 10-20%.

There is also the casual or first timer death rate with some of the new substances on the market.

Not to minimize alcoholism, but it generally leans more towards the slow motion train wreck. It’s the incremental death by a thousand cuts, everything suffers (work, health, relationships) but in some ways it’s worse….others can see and predict things happening slowly, inevitably, predictably. Often over periods of 20-50 years.

No one is arguing that alcohol addiction is identical to the effects of other drug addictions. And no one is arguing that any drug addiction is good. It's not, it's terrible.

But what people are saying is that the methods used (criminalization of the use, possession, sale, etc.) in the drug war to try to stop drug use and addiction are a total and complete utter FAILURE. And people are saying that our 50 year failed drug war are actually making the drug problem WORSE and not better.

And that countries that have been smart enough to try something different have been much more successful.

And at a fraction of the cost.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a0atL1HSwi8

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: BC leads the way... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If nothing else, the new law in Bc will allow the casual drug users to have their drugs tested for toxicity without worrying about being arrested.

Over 2200 people died in BC IN 2022 of opioids. Hopefully this will encourage more street drug testing sites where addicts and casual users can test and hopefully be referred to counselling at the same time.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: BC leads the way... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
If nothing else, the new law in Bc will allow the casual drug users to have their drugs tested for toxicity without worrying about being arrested.

Over 2200 people died in BC IN 2022 of opioids. Hopefully this will encourage more street drug testing sites where addicts and casual users can test and hopefully be referred to counselling at the same time.

IIRC, the HIV rate dropped by something like half in Portugal with decriminalization. Not sure, but I would guess because of other programs that went along with it.
Quote Reply
Re: BC leads the way... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

IIRC, the HIV rate dropped by something like half in Portugal with decriminalization. Not sure, but I would guess because of other programs that went along with it.

You bet.

The answer (or the beginning of an answer) is right in front of our very noses, but we refuse to see.
https://www.theguardian.com/...-the-world-copied-it

Our unyielding rigidity is a killer.
We are our own worst enemies.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: BC leads the way... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

You bet.

The answer (or the beginning of an answer) is right in front of our very noses, but we refuse to see.

The rigidity comes from an insidious suspicion from people that addiction is a choice.

You can say addiction is a disease all day long, give people science-backed evidence and they will say “yes, but… they still have to choose to do xyz”. And sure, they are correct. But addiction takes away the most of the choice. It takes tremendous will and fortitude to kick an addiction, so if legalization keeps people alive long enough for them to maybe get the help they need then I am all for it. Plus there are so many bloody stories about kids overdosing on fentanyl the first time they try heroin that maybe this will save a few of their lives too.

The idea that putting an addict in jail for doing drugs is mindblowingly insane. I am very libertarian when it comes to this. Now if the addict steals to fund his addiction, or hurts someone while high, throw the book at them. But to be arrested and jailed for doing drugs? That is nuts.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
The idea that putting an addict in jail for doing drugs is mindblowingly insane. I am very libertarian when it comes to this. Now if the addict steals to fund his addiction, or hurts someone while high, throw the book at them. But to be arrested and jailed for doing drugs? That is nuts.

I agree with almost all of your post.

But, I would somewhat question the bolded section above. Most drugs are ridiculously cheap to manufacture. But, on the street, these drugs are disproportionately expensive because of our idiotic anti-drug laws and the fact that illegal drugs must be manufactured and distributed on the dangerous and stratified black market.

Yes, an addict can make a choice to not steal to fund his addiction if the addict had a reasonable way out of his addiction (right now, U.S. drug addicts don't have a reasonable way, as drug treatment services in the usa have insanely long waiting lists--and that's if they have any space at all.) But, no, we choose to flush our tax money down the toilet in a totally failed and draconian drug war, while we could spend just a couple percent of this amount to help addicts get out of their habits for good.

But, nope, our puritan and moronic values don't allow this rational, compassionate, and cost-saving response. Ah, such is america ...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

You bet.

The rigidity comes from an insidious suspicion from people that addiction is a choice.

You can say addiction is a disease all day long, give people science-backed evidence and they will say “yes, but… they still have to choose to do xyz”. And sure, they are correct. But addiction takes away the most of the choice. It takes tremendous will and fortitude to kick an addiction, so if legalization keeps people alive long enough for them to maybe get the help they need then I am all for it. Plus there are so many bloody stories about kids overdosing on fentanyl the first time they try heroin that maybe this will save a few of their lives too.

I'm a huge believer in personal responsibility, so maybe I should stay out of this discussion, but...

Addiction doesn't take away the choice. Addiction may make it hard to stop once you start, but you have to make the choice prior to being addicted. That choice is on the person. You can say that the wiring is in place to become addicted, but you still have to try the thing to become addicted to it. Are you saying that all those with the physiological/psychological make up to be an addict, will be addicts?

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: BC leads the way... [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

You bet.

I'm a huge believer in personal responsibility, so maybe I should stay out of this discussion, but...

Addiction doesn't take away the choice. Addiction may make it hard to stop once you start, but you have to make the choice prior to being addicted. That choice is on the person. You can say that the wiring is in place to become addicted, but you still have to try the thing to become addicted to it. Are you saying that all those with the physiological/psychological make up to be an addict, will be addicts?

I'm increasingly leaning more and more towards determinism, so for me, things like choice, freewill and personal responsibility are just illusions, although very compelling ones.

Regardless, all it does in saying choice plays a big role is move the question to how do we get people to make healthy choices?
Quote Reply
Re: BC leads the way... [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:

It doesn't matter if it is personal responsibility or determinism. Heck, maybe it is both.

What matters is that criminalization is a flat out failure of a way of tackling the problem. 50 years of 'drug war' stupidity, over a TRILLION dollars wasted, and over 150 MILLION arrests (in the usa) have proven that this is a failed approach beyond a shred of doubt.

--
Quote Reply
Re: BC leads the way... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
sonofdad wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

You bet.

I'm increasingly leaning more and more towards determinism, so for me, things like choice, freewill and personal responsibility are just illusions, although very compelling ones.

Regardless, all it does in saying choice plays a big role is move the question to how do we get people to make healthy choices?

Yes, that is a difficult question.

Cynical statement follows.

My experience is that when many people are given a reason for their issues/diagnosis, they grasp on to it and use it as an excuse to not get better.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply

Prev Next