Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Snoring [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

I'm considering ordering a dental appliance that may help but haven't done mah reesurch yet.

On my end, drinking less alcohol before bed helps with snoring and reflux.

Yeah, last week I found out that I am having night time acid reflux. I've been on meds for all of 5 days and it is noticeably better. It was obviously disrupting my sleep more than I thought too. I am feeling a lot more clear headed and alert.

My doctor was kind of giving me shit for thinking I had something serious going on. But it was getting worse and made no sense. It felt like my throat was closing up, if I tried yelling or singing it turned into a squeak. Fluttery feeling in my chest and throat.

That’s good to hear! What meds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

I'm considering ordering a dental appliance that may help but haven't done mah reesurch yet.

Yeah, last week I found out that I am having night time acid reflux. I've been on meds for all of 5 days and it is noticeably better. It was obviously disrupting my sleep more than I thought too. I am feeling a lot more clear headed and alert.

My doctor was kind of giving me shit for thinking I had something serious going on. But it was getting worse and made no sense. It felt like my throat was closing up, if I tried yelling or singing it turned into a squeak. Fluttery feeling in my chest and throat.

Reflux and sleep apnea are related. Sleep apnea and heart disease/stroke are related. Please get a sleep study, at least to know you don't have apnea/ upper airway resistance syndrone.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Snoring [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

Generic prescription prilosec - not sure that it is any more powerful than OTC

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Snoring [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

Reflux and sleep apnea are related. Sleep apnea and heart disease/stroke are related. Please get a sleep study, at least to know you don't have apnea/ upper airway resistance syndrone.

I keep thinking I need to do that, but have never gotten around to it.

I'd hate to wake up dead one day because the sleep apnea contributed to a heart attack. Would ruin a lot of plans.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

I have the same thing. Wake up completely unable to breath. Airway completely frozen shut. To be honest it is a horrifying feeling, to be smothering like that.

I mitigated it myself mostly by tilting my bed up slightly, so not laying flat, cutting out beer and fizzy drinks in the evening and dialing back eating before bed and if I feel a bit heartburn then take tums before bed. I was consistently mis diagnosed as those being anxiety episodes, but thats not my personality and never was it. Figured it out on my own and learned to manage through the panic of not being able to breath.

I have since also now have a dental mouthpiece for mild apnea. Even when i had those reflux episodes, two apnea tests came back negative..over last 20 years. But recently got tested again for mild apnea only and went with a dental piece to try to address it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

20mg of Omeprazole is the same, whether OTC or Rx. Some people prefer Rx due to insurance. Others prefer OTC for convenience.

Be aware that long-term use of Prilosec can interfere with absorption of some vitamins and minerals. Some docs will recommend supplements, especially B12, Magnesium, and Iron.
Quote Reply
Re: Snoring [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
j p o wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

20mg of Omeprazole is the same, whether OTC or Rx. Some people prefer Rx due to insurance. Others prefer OTC for convenience.

Be aware that long-term use of Prilosec can interfere with absorption of some vitamins and minerals. Some docs will recommend supplements, especially B12, Magnesium, and Iron.

That was my understanding as well. Wondering what dosage and timeline JPO’s physician prescribed.
Edit to say I’ve been considering this for a couple weeks as I’ve put on a few extra el bees and the wifey says I’ve been snoring more lately. Occasional acid reflux sensations
Last edited by: Yeeper: Mar 7, 24 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a mouth piece.

(It's like a double sided mouth guard with rubber bands.)

It's meant to prevent snoring and limit teeth grinding.

Both are problems I supposedly have.

I think it works for both problems when it is new.

When it gets old it only prevents teeth grinding- as it gets loose.
Quote Reply
Re: Snoring [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
D'Wife snores, but it's not disturbing and doesn't keep me awake. In fact, it's more like a purr

It's actually relaxing and helps me go back to sleep if I wake up [see any of my dreaming posts - I wake myself up a lot]

There's a 'discovery' that's been popping up in my feeds lately about 'brown noise' which can help people with ADHD [maybe me?] or tinnitus [definitely me]

That being said, she says that *I* snore, if I'm laying a certain way - she'll give me a shove I'll roll and go back to sleep

Unless the Jimmy Legs kick in; then I go onto the couch or other room

I missed this thread last year. Your comments appeal and most of us can relate. Somehow I find it hard not to believe that the cave walls echoed with the noise of snoring males and females. Somehow sleep was found in sufficient amount that life went on for all at sunrise and jokes were made about the jabs, shoves and roll overs. I guess the problem has not risen to the point for Darwinian rules to take hold.
Quote Reply
Re: Snoring [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
ike wrote:
j p o wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

That was my understanding as well. Wondering what dosage and timeline JPO’s physician prescribed.
Edit to say I’ve been considering this for a couple weeks as I’ve put on a few extra el bees and the wifey says I’ve been snoring more lately. Occasional acid reflux sensations

20 mg - I sent her a message this morning asking about timeline.

This seems to have been going on a lot longer than I realized and causing thing I never connected.

Quote Reply
Re: Snoring [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

I have the same thing. Wake up completely unable to breath. Airway completely frozen shut. To be honest it is a horrifying feeling, to be smothering like that.

I mitigated it myself mostly by tilting my bed up slightly, so not laying flat, cutting out beer and fizzy drinks in the evening and dialing back eating before bed and if I feel a bit heartburn then take tums before bed. I was consistently mis diagnosed as those being anxiety episodes, but thats not my personality and never was it. Figured it out on my own and learned to manage through the panic of not being able to breath.

I have since also now have a dental mouthpiece for mild apnea. Even when i had those reflux episodes, two apnea tests came back negative..over last 20 years. But recently got tested again for mild apnea only and went with a dental piece to try to address it.

This happened to me for the first time ever this Tuesday actually. Absolutely horrifying feeling to wake up like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Snoring [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
j p o wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

Costco sells 3 week pack at a good price.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Mar 7, 24 10:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
ike wrote:
j p o wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:
Any new developments?

20 mg - I sent her a message this morning asking about timeline.

This seems to have been going on a lot longer than I realized and causing thing I never connected.

standard protocol for GERDS is usually 6 - 8 weeks.

Depending on what I am eating or drinking, when I was working I found 1 week, and behavior changes cleared it up. Or a 2-3 weeks without changes made things good for a few months. Retirement, watching what I eat, have ended my issues. Drinking to much to many days in a row can trigger it (basically your sphincter muscles relaxes from the alcohol allowing the stomach content up your throat.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply

Prev Next