Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If only Billy Corgan had been gay
Quote | Reply
I’d been watching YT clips of a Ukrainian pianist I’ve followed for years (she does great covers) and was curious what other Smashing Pumpkins songs she’d done. The search results included the following clip which at first glance looked legit and interesting but it did not take long for it to turn into a cringeworthy train wreck (at best).

He starts off talking about the band but then takes us back to his childhood with a horrific attempt to segue back to the band; returning (sort of) around 3:00

I don’t know if you could call it passive racism, but then his attention turned to Darcy, the original female bass player and his views get even better (6:50’). At around 7:30 he even throws in a link to a certain ex Pres.

I could only imagine if Billy or Jimmy had been gay, could have got the triple crown out of him.

People in the comments are a bit too kind.

He killed my practice time for tonight…
Quote Reply
Re: If only Billy Corgan had been gay [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vkgoeswild?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the fuck was that?

Cringey rambling, I didn't finish it because I couldn't believe he was ever going to come to some sort of coherent point.
Quote Reply
Re: If only Billy Corgan had been gay [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Vkgoeswild?

Yes that is she. Love her work.

I honestly thought it was going to be an interesting vid about one of my favourite bands, by someone who at first glance appeared to be authentic. It didn't take long to start cringing but I could not look away. It's sad to think there really are people out there that think like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Vkgoeswild?

I honestly thought it was going to be an interesting vid about one of my favourite bands, by someone who at first glance appeared to be authentic. It didn't take long to start cringing but I could not look away. It's sad to think there really are people out there that think like that.

Did you click on his channel? Men's Success Bible, you just know by the title it's going to be all kinds of douchebaggery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A band for Asians..."

Who makes that leap just because there happens to be an Asian dude in the band? He could've just as easily gone with "A band for bald assholes."

Also, why do people pronounce Billy's last name like "Corrigan?" It's pronounced like organ with a c in front.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 16, 22 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: If only Billy Corgan had been gay [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
"A band for Asians..."

Who makes that leap just because there happens to be an Asian dude in the band? He could've just as easily gone with "A band for bald assholes."

Also, why does people pronounce Billy's last name like "Corrigan?" It's pronounced like organ with a c in front.

If you go to his site, there appear to all kinds of racial videos.

Is "a band for bald assholes" a reference to Corgan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
"A band for Asians..."

Also, why does people pronounce Billy's last name like "Corrigan?" It's pronounced like organ with a c in front.

Yes. :-)

Pardon my atrocious grammar. I think I meant to type "Why does everyone..." and not "why does people..."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want the 20 seconds I spent watching that video back. I'm sending you a bill for the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
"A band for Asians..."

Yes. :-)

Pardon my atrocious grammar. I think I meant to type "Why does everyone..." and not "why does people..."

OK, I thought maybe it was just me. I like their music, but I watched a long interview with him somewhere, might have been on Rogan. My impression was he's a snobbish douchebag. It was mostly about his involvement with the Chicago Bulls back in the Jordan, Rodman era. Certainly quite full of himself.
Quote Reply
Re: If only Billy Corgan had been gay [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I want the 20 seconds I spent watching that video back. I'm sending you a bill for the time.

I watched about 10 minutes of it, strangely compelling to watch someone ooze douchebaggery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

OK, I thought maybe it was just me. I like their music, but I watched a long interview with him somewhere, might have been on Rogan. My impression was he's a snobbish douchebag. It was mostly about his involvement with the Chicago Bulls back in the Jordan, Rodman era. Certainly quite full of himself.

I love the Pumpkins and I think Billy is extremely talented. He is a snobbish douchebag who thinks very highly of himself. He has been interviewed by Howard Stern numerous times (most recently last week) and it always crosses between fascinating and unlistenable depending on what Billy is talking about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I love the Pumpkins and I think Billy is extremely talented. He is a snobbish douchebag who thinks very highly of himself. He has been interviewed by Howard Stern numerous times (most recently last week) and it always crosses between fascinating and unlistenable depending on what Billy is talking about.

I used to really like them, and then I had a college roommate who blasted Siamese Dreams on repeat from 6am to 10am each day, and that was the only CD anyone was allowed to listen to in his car, so on and so forth, so now the opening bars of any of those songs elicit a Turn it Off Now response from me. Completely ruined them for me.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
"A band for Asians..."

Also, why do people pronounce Billy's last name like "Corrigan?" It's pronounced like organ with a c in front.

Come on there are heaps of reasons:

Asian in the band
Asian neighbour once seeing wearing SP tee
He saw they were playing in a stadium when in Manila.

What more do you want as evidence? It was laughable to think he probably felt he did a stellar job of concealing his racism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Small print states refunds only upon 10 minutes of consumption, at which point you’ll be too stunned to continue asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

No shit. I have no idea why the OP thought this was post worthy content. Fuck I want that 10 mins of my life back.

Quote Reply
Re: If only Billy Corgan had been gay [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
trail wrote:

No shit. I have no idea why the OP thought this was post worthy content. Fuck I want that 10 mins of my life back.

[/url][/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did not watch. will not watch. had no idea what the post was about.

Having now just read the comments, I remain as clueless as before. Thanks. Not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Vkgoeswild?

I've been watching her for years, no idea how I stumbled on her. Great piano covers.
Quote Reply
Re: If only Billy Corgan had been gay [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Did not watch. will not watch. had no idea what the post was about.

Having now just read the comments, I remain as clueless as before. Thanks. Not.

It's just a good ol' fashion train wreck where the guy lacks enough self-awareness to realize publishing it wasn't a good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
"A band for Asians..."

Asian in the band

What more do you want as evidence? It was laughable to think he probably felt he did a stellar job of concealing his racism.

I guarantee he'd be the first to tell you that he wasn't a racist despite posting a video to the contrary.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
"A band for Asians..."

Asian in the band

I guarantee he'd be the first to tell you that he wasn't a racist despite posting a video to the contrary.

I mean he had a genuinely potentially funny scenario in there with the neighbor kid who was of another race than his parents and sibling but didn't realize he was adopted, even well into high school but he was so awkward about everything.
Quote Reply