Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anti abortion folks, a question [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
W.T.F.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Anti abortion folks, a question [PVD04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PVD04 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
opusTpenguin wrote:

Bullshit only one side is telling the other what THEY can and cannot do with their bodies, the other side says that everyone has a choice to decide.

no. the baby inside the womb needs to have their own choice if they want to live.

Since it's not a baby and incapable of thought, this is not in any way a reasonable argument.

In 1930 the Catholic Church banned all forms of contraception. The argument was sperm had the potential for life and thus thwarting the natural result of intercourse was a sin.

I think we can agree that is the extreme end of the right to life continuum. On the other end there are people who believe that all abortions at any point in the pregnancy should be allowed.

Each and everyone one of us falls somewhere on this continuum. I cannot fathom how anyone thinks they have the right to determine where the correct potion to fall on the continuum lies. For those who are ardently anti-abortion ask yourself how you would feel if someone further down the continuum got their way and made all contraception illegal. Would you then be making a “my body my choice,” argument?

The cynic in me believes this really is just a way for men to oppress women. Nothing in this thread has defused me of those feelings.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti abortion folks, a question [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
W.T.F.

But it's Biden's fault.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti abortion folks, a question [southpaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so I tried googling what is the logic the republicans voted against and cannot find a clear answer (best is an abstract answer: this bill wont fix the problem)...so why?
Quote Reply
Re: Anti abortion folks, a question [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
so I tried googling what is the logic the republicans voted against and cannot find a clear answer (best is an abstract answer: this bill wont fix the problem)...so why?

I'm not sure I understand. I was being sarcastic in my response to DSW, should have put it in pink.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti abortion folks, a question [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Republican representatives were encouraged to vote against the bill because their leadership viewed it as Democrats throwing money at a problem to cover up ineptitude in the administration, without proposing any actual plan for the use of the money, and without holding the FDA accountable for any role the agency played in the current shortage.

Republicans almost all voted for the other baby formula related bill which relaxes restrictions on the types of formula that can be bought by people in the federal low income assistance program (it passed 414-9).

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
W.T.F.

It is nice to have cspan on my fm dial in the car. I listened to the floor debate for this vote. Basically the nay republican vote was simply a vote against the current administration on how they could allow the FDA to shut down the Abbott plant (40+% of total US production) without then having the foresight to predict this shortage and make plans to correct. The measly millions of govt. dollars thrown (extra out of budget) out to buy formula from European FDA approved labs was also viewed as another example of throwing money at a problem to fix.

Some of the dem defense was that FDA had to go to court against Abbott which complicated things, and the monies would also go to beef up the FDA staff and there is an ongoing IG and house investigation into the claim that the problem did not just surface and was known but corrective action was not being taken.

It seems 12 republicans did cross over to help stock the shelves.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti abortion folks, a question [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Republican representatives were encouraged to vote against the bill because their leadership viewed it as Democrats throwing money at a problem to cover up ineptitude in the administration, without proposing any actual plan for the use of the money, and without holding the FDA accountable for any role the agency played in the current shortage.

Republicans almost all voted for the other baby formula related bill which relaxes restrictions on the types of formula that can be bought by people in the federal low income assistance program (it passed 414-9).

So sounds like a grant program, anyone can apply for, as long as they state "baby formula" in the proposal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oklahoma passed a new abortion law today making it illegal to perform an abortion after conception. There are exceptions for the life of the mother, and rape and incest as long as the person has reported the rape or incest to the police.

The Gov of Oklahoma intends to sign it.

With Roe going away, this will be the law of the land in OK. The person sponsoring the bill said she wanted to reduce abortions and saw the Texas heart beat law had done a good job of reducing abortions in Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti abortion folks, a question [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
Oklahoma passed a new abortion law today making it illegal to perform an abortion after conception. There are exceptions for the life of the mother, and rape and incest as long as the person has reported the rape or incest to the police.

The Gov of Oklahoma intends to sign it.

With Roe going away, this will be the law of the land in OK. The person sponsoring the bill said she wanted to reduce abortions and saw the Texas heart beat law had done a good job of reducing abortions in Texas.

It also has the Texan “anyone can sue an abortion provider” provision tacked onto it.

Next contraception, then prohibiting importation of contraceptive into the state, then travelling out of state for an abortion…

Welcome to the theocracy. I’ll give it 15 years max before the US has a bona fide theocratic President in the WH.
Quote Reply

Prev Next