Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mobile Phone Options - Travelling in UK
Quote | Reply
My son is going on a school trip in a couple of weeks to England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. I use US Mobile for his mobile plan now, and it seemed like a pretty easy option to throw in International calling. It appears though that they only off data. So I'm thinking he would install an app like Google Phone to make calls and something similar for texts.

Has anyone traveled or used a phone with only data?
Quote Reply
Re: Mobile Phone Options - Travelling in UK [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google FI works pretty well for international travel. It doesn't cost any extra in many countries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've travelled a lot; NA, Europe, Asia and Oz and used data / mostly WiFi to wassap call / Skype.

I live in London, data only will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just buy a sim card there, it's pretty cheap with data, just swap it into his current phone.

I bet he'd get away with spending $25.
Quote Reply
Re: Mobile Phone Options - Travelling in UK [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
I just buy a sim card there, it's pretty cheap with data, just swap it into his current phone.

I bet he'd get away with spending $25.

Yes, this is the best bet. Just make sure the phone is unlocked. General/about/carrier lock for an iPhone
Quote Reply
Re: Mobile Phone Options - Travelling in UK [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Google FI works pretty well for international travel. It doesn't cost any extra in many countries.

I use Google Fi also, no extra charges for data, no matter what country you're in.

Internal cell calls did cost extra thou, like 10 cents per minute. I usually used data apps to call back to states, but used cellular for the odd locally calls I might have to do.

That said, if you want to stick to just data, that's fine also as he'll probably have wifi access most of time also.

I used Whatsapp usually to call back to states, but other data enable apps work also.

Quote Reply
Re: Mobile Phone Options - Travelling in UK [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

I use Google Fi also, no extra charges for data, no matter what country you're in.

Internal cell calls did cost extra thou, like 10 cents per minute. I usually used data apps to call back to states, but used cellular for the odd locally calls I might have to do.

That said, if you want to stick to just data, that's fine also as he'll probably have wifi access most of time also.

I used Whatsapp usually to call back to states, but other data enable apps work also.

Fi is especially great now that the "unlimited" plan doesn't kick the throttling in until 50GB. It's also always been great on giving you the same level of coverage (at least up to 4G, don't have a 5G phone to test if it goes higher) abroad as you get locally. The T-Mobile "free" international is fine in a pinch, but being throttled to 128/256kbps (at best) is pretty painful for real usage. The Fi calling rates are also pretty cheap for most countries if you're on WiFi (one to two cents a minute). They also don't seem to be too particular about extended times abroad which some other carriers don't love.

That said, if you're doing something short term, you're probably fine with data only and getting WhatsApp (it's super popular in Europe/outside the US anyways). You can do messaging and voice and video calls from it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the replies. I found an Orange SIM on Amazon, looks like it has mostly data and works in UK. So I should have that prior to him leaving, but if it doesn't come in on time I'll have him stop by a store to pick one up. He's installing Google Voice now, so we'll have that all setup.
Quote Reply