Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A $449 ticket is a joke. I hadn't had a speeding ticket in 25 plus years, but recently was clocked at 80 in a 60. That ticket cost me $225, he got off cheap at $449.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saturday my wife was driving me home after I got hit by a car while riding my bike.
Ironically, on the way home a Lambo comes flying by us on the narrow and windy road.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
I am more chapped at the 20 plus drivers I see on a simple trip to the store texting, drinking coffee, drinking beer, eating a full meal or otherwise distracted driving and have no qualms about or even understanding that they themselves are a menace to society. A knucklehead in a car well designed for going really fast on a tollway, understanding the risk and100% concentrating on the road prolly hurts a lot less folks than the distracted drivers drifting into the bike lane.

I still chuckle at the best car crash ever. I was sitting at a light in the turn lane and kaboom. The SUV next to me rear ends the car in front of them at the light. With my window down I hear the lady say " Oh dear, I have to hang up, I was just in an accident" as she says drinking a coffee, smoking a cigarette and talking on the cell phone. Like which hand was actually driving the car? The other most amazing group of drivers are women putting on eye makeup while driving to work. Like if you are looking at your eyes in the mirror, who is watching the road? Oh well, people.

I watched someone go through a school zone while the kids were outside after school. Guy was eating a burger with the wrapper fully covering his face whilst driving right past the kids at faster than the school zone limit. That pisses me off more than someone doing 165 on an empty road.

Feel free to kill yourself, don't put others at risk.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, definitely got off cheap. It's $449, but likely to be an insurance bump when it comes time to renew. And any other insurer will see the same history and price him high too.

But interestingly enough, it he had done the responsible thing and took it to a track, he'd still be out about the same amount of cash.
$200-$400 for a day at the track day.
+ $100 to $200 for track specific insurance
+ $50-100 for tank's worth of gas used during track outing
+ $50 of new/fresh fluids to pass tech inspection
+ $100 for pre-track tech inspection,

... plus accelerated wear of tires, brake pads, from the track day.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would have had more fun at the track too. Maybe not able to go as fast though depending on the track and length of longest straightaway.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Saturday my wife was driving me home after I got hit by a car while riding my bike.

How are you doing?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Ironically, on the way home a Lambo comes flying by us on the narrow and windy road.

The most disturbing part of this post is ... clearly it's the wrong type of car for that type of road.

(joking. sorry to hear you got hit. hopefully minor and fully recoverable?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

I also got hit by a car while on my bike Saturday! In my case it was practically in front of my house, a kid teaching his kid brother how to drive. In a totally inappropriate venue. I'll give those kids a death stare everytime I ride by. (just lost some skin, and my shoulder is still achy 6 days later, otherwise fine).
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
. I have no real idea whether it is technologically possible.

Governing an automobile's top speed is very easy (since most/all vehicles are now controlled by computers). In my 1997 Chevy Suburban, the computer (ECM: engine control module) would shut down the fuel pump at 100 mph.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
So, is it legally not realistic? Putting an electronic governor on the car would seem to be a pretty easy thing electronically (for Dodge in this case, but I bet some enterprising engineers could figure it out). THe only challenge is it would be unique to each car (maybe just brand or make?)

Governors are very simple to do, they've been around since the advent of engine. If you ever look at Car and Driver, etc, the car stats used to say top speed (xxx limited). Either electronically limited if they could go faster, or drag limited if they were the Jetta I owned in 1997 :D . Some slower cars are electronically limited because of the speed rating of the OEM tires.

Watt had to put a governor on his steam engine.
On carburetors, it's a spring that sets basically max RPMs. UK Mopeds have a governor limiting them to 30 mph since 1977
On FI, it's a whole lot more complicated (but only a couple lines of code, it does a lot more complex things, but really easy to do). JDM cars are limited to 180-190 kph. Most VW, MB, Audi, and BMW are limited to 250 kph.

ECU governors are very easy to remove, anyone with some programming knowledge can do it and everyone else can buy an ECU reprogrammer. So on the flip side, they should be easy to adjust.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
G-man wrote:
I am more chapped at the 20 plus drivers I see on a simple trip to the store texting, drinking coffee, drinking beer, eating a full meal or otherwise distracted driving and have no qualms about or even understanding that they themselves are a menace to society. A knucklehead in a car well designed for going really fast on a tollway, understanding the risk and100% concentrating on the road prolly hurts a lot less folks than the distracted drivers drifting into the bike lane.

I still chuckle at the best car crash ever. I was sitting at a light in the turn lane and kaboom. The SUV next to me rear ends the car in front of them at the light. With my window down I hear the lady say " Oh dear, I have to hang up, I was just in an accident" as she says drinking a coffee, smoking a cigarette and talking on the cell phone. Like which hand was actually driving the car? The other most amazing group of drivers are women putting on eye makeup while driving to work. Like if you are looking at your eyes in the mirror, who is watching the road? Oh well, people.

I watched someone go through a school zone while the kids were outside after school. Guy was eating a burger with the wrapper fully covering his face whilst driving right past the kids at faster than the school zone limit. That pisses me off more than someone doing 165 on an empty road.

Feel free to kill yourself, don't put others at risk.

Agreed. A few years ago I was riding my bike in a 20 MPH zone going 23.. A SUV beeps at me as she flies past. I look bover and the driver has a phone in 1 hand, cup of coffee in the other. How did she beep at me and still steer?

That's scary.

A hell cat flying down the highway is not a risk. And he was doing 165? They top out around 200 depending on the model so he was well "in control". At least all the Hell cat owners I know actually know how to drive.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
50+ wrote:

To stir the pot a little, is there really a huge difference between the way highways are built here and the Autobahn? Is 165 on the Autobahn illegal? is 178 on a Hayabusa illegal? My brother has done 150 mph on the Autobahn so I don't think it's a stretch that 165 is out of the question.

There's a driver-skill difference that comes into play too re: our highways vs. autobahn. Compare what it takes to get a driver's license in the US vs. Europe. Something as simple as "keep right except to pass" is like a completely foreign concept here, but ingrained over there.

Yes, engineering of autobahn completely different, and also, nowhere near all of it is unrestricted speed limit, most of it 130km/h.

And level of competence/awareness when driving on the autobahn is generally amazing, except for the French. Strangely feel safer on the 2-lane stretches vs. the 3-lane stretches. Less gray area for where you're supposed to be.

Someone who isn't me v-maxed a GT3RS on a deserted Nevada highway in years gone past.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
chriskal wrote:

Governing an automobile's top speed is very easy (since most/all vehicles are now controlled by computers). In my 1997 Chevy Suburban, the computer (ECM: engine control module) would shut down the fuel pump at 100 mph.

If equipped with overdrive, which it likely is, then it isn't limited.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
chriskal wrote:

Sure. I understand that. My car is electronically limited to something like 155. I also know that people modify and reprogram ECM’s to enhance performance and i don't have the technical knowledge to know how one would prevent the reprobate from simply swapping or flashing the ECM as a work around.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Western Australia going more than 45km/hr over the speed limit is considered "Reckless Driving". Your car will be impounded for 28 days, a fine of up to $6000, disqualification from driving of at least 6 months and potential goal time.

Fortunately when I was young and stupid my car struggled to go above 90km/hr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Yes, definitely got off cheap. It's $449,

I'd say very cheap. Where I live, the fine for exceeding the speed limit by more than 45 kph is $2482. Above that, the cops have discretion to issue a roadside license suspension, impound the vehicle or confiscate the vehicle's license plates. They can bring other charges including criminal charges such as reckless driving (up to 9 months imprisonment). Here the perp exceeded the speed limit by 145 kph. He'd have faced all of the above. Staying out of jail would take some fancy lawyering.

40-Tude wrote:
But interestingly enough, it he had done the responsible thing and took it to a track, he'd still be out about the same amount of cash.

That's not really how it works, though. People who speed don't do it as a once in a lifetime bucket list item. They do it as much as they can get away with it, which tends to be a lot. A $449 fine probably amortises to the price of a coffee for each of the times this douche has sped and gotten away with it. Speeding on public roadways and endangering lives costs a small fraction of the cost of track racing. A fine has to be punitive enough to shift the calculation of risk and cost to being simply not worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That's not really how it works, though. People who speed don't do it as a once in a lifetime bucket list item. They do it as much as they can get away with it, which tends to be a lot. A $449 fine probably amortises to the price of a coffee for each of the times this douche has sped and gotten away with it. Speeding on public roadways and endangering lives costs a small fraction of the cost of track racing. A fine has to be punitive enough to shift the calculation of risk and cost to being simply not worth it.

I think the guy also got his license suspended and there's an arrest warrant.

I agree with others on this thread that distracted driving is also dangerous and foolish.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I think the guy also got his license suspended and there's an arrest warrant.

I agree with others on this thread that distracted driving is also dangerous and foolish.

Why do we think there is a warrant and his license suspended? If it is because of the language on the ticket, those are just the consequences for failing to appear in court on the ticket. They cut off the part that reads something like, “failing to a appear on the appointed date will result in 1,2 and 3.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

I'd say very cheap. Where I live, the fine for exceeding the speed limit by more than 45 kph is $2482. Above that, the cops have discretion to issue a roadside license suspension, impound the vehicle or confiscate the vehicle's license plates. They can bring other charges including criminal charges such as reckless driving (up to 9 months imprisonment). Here the perp exceeded the speed limit by 145 kph. He'd have faced all of the above. Staying out of jail would take some fancy lawyering.

In Virginia, they'd throw away the key.

If you drive over 85mph, it's reckless driving. Or if you are 20 over the limit. Punishment is 2 days in jail for every mph over 90, and if you are over 100 mph, they add another 30 days. Max is $2500, 1 year in jail and 6 month suspended license.

90 over is 180 days + 30 days, so min 7 months.
Quote Reply
Re: 165 in a 75 (OK driver being dangerous and foolish) [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

In Virginia, they'd throw away the key.

If you drive over 85mph, it's reckless driving. Or if you are 20 over the limit. Punishment is 2 days in jail for every mph over 90, and if you are over 100 mph, they add another 30 days. Max is $2500, 1 year in jail and 6 month suspended license.

90 over is 180 days + 30 days, so min 7 months.

VA resident here. I knew about the 85+ being categorized as reckless. Did not know about the jailtime rules. Good to know.
Quote Reply

Prev Next