Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
chriskal wrote:
Phil is correct. The PGA kowtowing to the Saudis is gross.

I'm confused. I thought Phil's position was to "tell the truth" about the Saudis, but go ahead and take the money anyway because "reshaping the PGA" is more important. I wouldn't call that "right."

My understanding is the cancellation isn't because he said mean things about the Saudis but because he said so in a casually dismissive way while justifying his own backing of the upstart league. And he's apparently been deeply involved with the Saudi-backed league since the start of the effort.

Or do I have it all wrong?

If my take is right, I'd imagine the Saudis will cancel him as well?

I only meant he was correct in his assessment of the saudis. Phil kowtowing to them is equally gross.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
trail wrote:
chriskal wrote:

I only meant he was correct in his assessment of the saudis. Phil kowtowing to them is equally gross.

Yeah, but the PGA isn't kowtowing to the Saudis. It's the Saudis vs. the PGA. The Saudis trying to poach PGA players into a parallel league. Mickelson is on the Saudi side.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bullshark wrote:
To me he's always come across as a douche bag. Just go play on the senior tour and disappear.

The anointed golden boy got a little greedy and is now facing the consequences. Not too many people are feeling sorry for him. At least he didn't use the 'I need to feed my family' line.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:

The anointed golden boy got a little greedy and is now facing the consequences. Not too many people are feeling sorry for him. At least he didn't use the 'I need to feed my family' line.

He's the Curt Schilling of golf. Some positively courageous, heroic moments in the game, and always entertaining. But off the field....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
chriskal wrote:
trail wrote:
chriskal wrote:

Yeah, but the PGA isn't kowtowing to the Saudis. It's the Saudis vs. the PGA. The Saudis trying to poach PGA players into a parallel league. Mickelson is on the Saudi side.

Well then I am misinformed. I was under the impression this was a cooperative effort with the PGA.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
trail wrote:
chriskal wrote:
trail wrote:
chriskal wrote:

Well then I am misinformed. I was under the impression this was a cooperative effort with the PGA.

Nope. It was being set up to siphon off the very best golfers because Phil (and others, including Norman) thinks people like him aren't making enough money and they are supporting the lower level players.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
but was he being called naive by the other pros (specifically Rory) for his comments on the saudis or for being prepared to work with them despite the issues ....or for risking damaging the golden goose they already have

He was being called naive for being cozy with the Saudis and thinking that he could make a bunch of money with no repercussions and not being beholden to the really bad murderous motherfuckers.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
rich_m wrote:
but was he being called naive by the other pros (specifically Rory) for his comments on the saudis or for being prepared to work with them despite the issues ....or for risking damaging the golden goose they already have

He was being called naive for being cozy with the Saudis and thinking that he could make a bunch of money with no repercussions and not being beholden to the really bad murderous motherfuckers.

It was also due to a perceived lack of understanding on Phil’s part of the PGA Tour finances and how the revenue is shared with the players.

I’m not surprised at the backlash. He basically got in bed with Norman and the Saudi’s to create a competing tour and tried to poach players from the PGA Tour. He was also part of the team that drew up the operating principles of the new tour.

Pretty sure if I tried to start a new company that directly competed with my current company and tried to poach employees of my current company that there would be some consequences. Phil is getting those consequences.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i checked and KPMG seem to have left him because of the comments criticizing the Saudis ....they have offices there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
i checked and KPMG seem to have left him because of the comments criticizing the Saudis ....they have offices there.

Yeah, this was an absolute masterpiece of 3D chess self-cancellation by Mickelson. There's literally something for *everyone* to throw him under the bus over. So many layers to the onion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
I've read some of the articles and seen interviews with other pros criticizing him for this (particularly Rory) and am still not clear.

i hope he was being called naive by fellow professionals for helping set up the other league to get leverage and his comments against the PGA, and not for being critical of Saudi leadership.

i found it a bit distasteful that someone who has made what he has playing golf was prepared to sell-out to the Saudis to get even more money. How much does he need? $94 million from the PGA tour + all those matches and sponsorship deals. Top PGA pros complaining about the distribution of money between them and the tour need to take a look around. What other sport can give you a 30 year pro career where you get to compete for stupid money every weekend.

Are you upset that Tiger Woods is designing a golf course in Dubai at a Trump resort?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
rich_m wrote:

Yeah, this was an absolute masterpiece of 3D chess self-cancellation by Mickelson. There's literally something for *everyone* to throw him under the bus over. So many layers to the onion.

LOL... so may analogies here. Pure gold.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
rich_m wrote:
I've read some of the articles and seen interviews with other pros criticizing him for this (particularly Rory) and am still not clear.

i hope he was being called naive by fellow professionals for helping set up the other league to get leverage and his comments against the PGA, and not for being critical of Saudi leadership.

i found it a bit distasteful that someone who has made what he has playing golf was prepared to sell-out to the Saudis to get even more money. How much does he need? $94 million from the PGA tour + all those matches and sponsorship deals. Top PGA pros complaining about the distribution of money between them and the tour need to take a look around. What other sport can give you a 30 year pro career where you get to compete for stupid money every weekend.

Are you upset that Tiger Woods is designing a golf course in Dubai at a Trump resort?

No one knows this... and that's the difference between Tiger and Phil.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
BLeP wrote:
rich_m wrote:

No one knows this... and that's the difference between Tiger and Phil.

It’s not hard to find. Tiger competed in Dubai a bunch of times. Got paid big bucks to do it. But Phil is a monster.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sportwashing is definitely a thing, from soccer (football) to triathlon to golf. Typically no one fault the players for taking the money (e.g. Neymar, or Tiger in your example) because their careers are short. But it's quite another to not only take the money but also simultaneously badmouth both the tour that made you and the tour you are getting paid to promote. On top of all that, Phil is just not a likable guy on tour with his know-it-all vibe, not to mention his gambling problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Sportwashing is definitely a thing, from soccer (football) to triathlon to golf.

Just witness Chelsea fans chanting Abramovich's name after he was sanctioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/33916213/pretty-big-fall-how-everything-changed-phil-mickelson-just-one-year

Very interesting article.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/33916213/pretty-big-fall-how-everything-changed-phil-mickelson-just-one-year

Very interesting article.

He's relatable. More than anything, he just wanted to win in his personal zero sum game, so he took Russian mafia and oligarch money to do it regardless of the consequences or that it was ostensibly against his own stated personal ethics, morals, and character.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 https://golf.com/...son-gambling-losses/[/url]

Saw this on google news a little while back. According to a book that’s coming out on Michelson, he lost $40 million in gambling over a 4 year period. Absolutely nuts

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's way beyond Barkley or Jordan level

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Phil Mickelson gets cancelled [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
That's way beyond Barkley or Jordan level

As long as he's not losing more than he can afford to lose I guess it's not a problem :)

For some reason I find gambling addicts even more sad than drug addicts, even though I get that the "drugs" the gambling addict is addicted to just happen to be the ones naturally occurring in their brains.
Quote Reply

Prev Next