Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Peloton people, checking in [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Santa did a late audible and went in and entirely different direction. No Row for us, but something much more exciting albeit short lived.

I was a competitive cyclist from ages 18 or so (raced bikes in college) through the end of my triathlon days in 2020 (age 36). Haven't been on a real bike since April 2020 or so.

Did my first ride in 2+ years with AT yesterday. 30min 2000s ride. It was fun! And hard.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 31, 22 5:02
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton people, checking in [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here we go!

The form assist was easy to calibrate and corrected a fundamental defect in my technique. Happy with it so far.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a slick looking piece of hardware. Sounds like this week is a big week for live row classes, should be fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is impressive, I have to admit. Also huge. It pretty well sucked up nearly half of my gym free floor space so during some weight training sessions it will have to be stored upright, which is a slight PITA but overall it’s a great addition to the stable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've had it for going on two months now, and enjoy it immensely. My wife has an athletic build and doesn't care to bulk up, so combining this with the Bike+ and pilates style workouts hits all the right notes for her, keeps it interesting and dialed in to the Peloton platform. My cardio routine used to be 4-5x per week on the bike, 20-30 minute workouts, and instead now I'm doing 20m bike and 15-20m rows back to back, so my total cardio time and muscle engagement has increased while making it more enjoyable. The form tracker feature is great to get you dialed in, only downside is that I'm now obsessed with hitting 100% form rating but consistently fall short by 1% every last time. At least it gives me something to chase.

Even considering the added cost I'm glad I stayed within the Peloton ecosystem. It's a fantastic piece of hardware and the familiar platform makes if feel more personal. Last week I did a 20m ride with Matt Wilpers, then jumped on the row and did 20m interval with...Matt Wilpers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on business travel last week and the hotel had a Peloton so I tried it out. I did a workout but this isn't something I could do consistently. Maybe it was just the instructor but it wasn't my cup of tea. I think my wife would enjoy the program but for the cycling side, I'll stick with Zwift, for me, it's much more of a workout and more fun.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton people, checking in [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figuring out which instructors you prefer is a fairly integral part in the creation of a dedicated peloton user.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did everyone see OG bike recall? Free new seat post sign up:

https://support.onepeloton.com/...icles/14762167850260
Last edited by: Moonrocket: May 11, 23 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton people, checking in [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hard to imagine the post breaking; it's quite beefy.

that's a reported failure rate of .002%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 6’5” husband- ours gets used at the edge of the specs and was bought at the height of the pandemic refurbished. I’m replacing mine.

If it’s metal fatigue or bad welds failure rate should increase over time-which May impact recall decisions.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: May 11, 23 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton people, checking in [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone is using or looking to buy Peloton dumbbells, they are reliably available at TJ Maxx and Marshalls retail stores for just over $1/lb. Half of what you’ll pay online at Peloton or Amazon. We’re two dumbbells short of the full set as of today. If you like the bootcamps, these square shape dumbbells are far better than round ones for stability purposes and nicely constructed.

Hard to find a good rack but after trial and error, this Amazon special A-frame CAP tower fits the full set perfectly. $65

CAP Barbell A-Frame Dumbbell Rack https://a.co/d/3vmsVpN

Quote Reply
Re: Peloton people, checking in [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
I was on business travel last week and the hotel had a Peloton so I tried it out. I did a workout but this isn't something I could do consistently. Maybe it was just the instructor but it wasn't my cup of tea. I think my wife would enjoy the program but for the cycling side, I'll stick with Zwift, for me, it's much more of a workout and more fun.

As with cycling I don’t think you can appreciate the experience without clipless pedals and cycling shoes. It’s an entirely different experience. I think I would still prefer working out in a gym but with nothing available nearby and a wife who works out at least as often as I do, it fits our needs perfectly. And the platform entices you to other types of workouts. We recently replaced the non peloton bike with a high end treadmill that was collecting dust, so we now have the complete studio with tread (via peloton app on TV) the Bike+ and Row, and dumbbells. Row and Tread bootcamps are her favorites and she never tires of the platform or instructors. She’s definitely the prototype user, hooked on the workouts but loves the community aspect just as much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
If anyone is using or looking to buy Peloton dumbbells, they are reliably available at TJ Maxx and Marshalls retail stores for just over $1/lb. Half of what you’ll pay online at Peloton or Amazon.

Big stock buyout! I was at my local Sierra trading post Saturday and there were tonns of them and Peloton branded HRMs and bands and at least one bike mat.

If people don't remember, TJX bought Sierra in 2012. There's a strip mall in Framingham, across the street from the Natick mall, that has a TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Homegood, Sierra, and Homesense! Of course it's less than a mile from the TJX HQ
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton people, checking in [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We snagged the bands for maybe $20 as well. Very nice construction. Doubtful they’ll ever get used but we’re pretty much Peloton collectors at this point.

I use resistance bands from Amazon at home and work quite a bit to supplement weight training. They’re a great inexpensive and portable addition to anyone’s workout routine.

Quote Reply
Re: Peloton people, checking in [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
mck414 wrote:
Replying in line with a general rowing question. I honestly haven't touch a rowing machine for probably 3 decades. Back then I was 10' tall and bullet proof. Today I have the lower back of a 100 year old. How much stress does rowing put on the back? I'm genuinely interested in picking up rowing as my running days seem to in my rear view mirror after this latest SI joint flare up.

Sorry, I missed this question first time around.

I honestly don't know how to answer that. I probably don't have the best form or approach to the discipline (I currently use a hydraulic rower with the back end elevated to put more stress on the legs) and I don't use it consistently week to week, but I haven't had any back flareups, and my lumbar area used to be a train wreck, always one sneeze away from bed rest.

Most of the back engagement I feel is upper back, scapular, rhomboids, traps, posterior delts, etc. I do feel some muscle tightness in the lumbar and paraspinals after a workout but nothing resembling pain or anything that doesn't improve with stretching.

Coming back to this question with a year's experience as a regular (2-3x/wk) rower on the Peloton Row.

Having dialed in my form fairly well, I think I'm hitting that 60-40 lower-to-upper body engagement ratio.I never row more than 20 minutes at a stretch unless I'm doing a 30 or 40 minute bootcamp that mixes strength and rowing, and I never feel like I've done a leg workout coming off the seat. Tired, but not leg pump tired. Well rounded exhaustion, on the harder workouts. I don't get the upper body muscle soreness or tightness I had initially, so either I'm more conditioned for it or my form has improved such that I'm not straining those muscles as much now.

A huge difference since starting rowing is glute and leg strength gains. It doesn't feel like a lower body workout when I row, but it absolutely is. My jeans fit differently, thighs are more muscular, everything feels more balanced and strong. Secondary effect is that the added strength makes leg strength workouts more enjoyable and so less likely to skip.

My wife and I both use it routinely. We love our Bike+ and Row equally; it's hard to imagine having just one or the other given how they complement each other and work seamlessly together.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not rowing related, but my wife was in NYC this past week for work and was able to get in-studio and do a 30 minute Adrian run and a 30 minute Becs run the next morning. She really enjoyed the experience both times, although Adrian was a lot more gregarious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did she have to register well in advance or was she able to do a walk-in?

My wife would love that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She got on Adrian's wait list in advance, and a few days before was "in." Bec's class was similar, the wait-list opened up and she got on that and then knew Sunday or Monday that she was in for the Thursday AM class.

It's become "easier" to get into classes as wait lists are more frequent. I think it's definitely possible to plan a NYC trip and get into a class without doing anything crazy at this point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next