Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The OJ Trial
Quote | Reply
I just watched OJ Made in America and re-lived that 15 month period. I was young (9) but remember the Bronco chase, watching the verdict in school and have a faint memory of the news reports coming out of the brutal murder scene.

Man what a botched prosecution led by Clark and Darden. Never knew Fuhrman pleaded the 5th!

Now almost 30 years later and watching again from another view and learning so much more that happened I'm curious to what everyone believes how the murder went down? I think at this time we can all agree OJ is the murderer.

Let me hear your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: The OJ Trial [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember how the defense swayed the jury into believing their was "reasonable doubt" in coming to their verdict. I remember thinking, what would be the odds that the person you were trying to frame would have no alibi at the time of the murder, have a violent relationship with the victim, have a cut finger, and everything that happened? The prosecution did a lousy job at countering that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
I just watched OJ Made in America and re-lived that 15 month period. I was young (9) but remember the Bronco chase, watching the verdict in school and have a faint memory of the news reports coming out of the brutal murder scene.

Man what a botched prosecution led by Clark and Darden. Never knew Fuhrman pleaded the 5th!

Now almost 30 years later and watching again from another view and learning so much more that happened I'm curious to what everyone believes how the murder went down? I think at this time we can all agree OJ is the murderer.

naw naw dude!... on acquittal OJ promised to spend the rest of his life searching for the REAL killers! He looked and sounded damn sincere to me so NO we certainly don’t ‘all agree OJ is the murderer’ .
Last edited by: shady: May 9, 21 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: The OJ Trial [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
907Tri wrote:

naw naw dude!... on acquittal OJ promised to spend the rest of his life searching for the REAL killers! He looked and sounded damn sincere to me so NO we certainly don’t ‘all agree OJ is the murderer’ .

OJ got himself framed for another crime just so he could search for the killer in prison.

What a self sacrifice.
Quote Reply
Re: The OJ Trial [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
I remember how the defense swayed the jury into believing their was "reasonable doubt" in coming to their verdict. I remember thinking, what would be the odds that the person you were trying to frame would have no alibi at the time of the murder, have a violent relationship with the victim, have a cut finger, and everything that happened? The prosecution did a lousy job at countering that.

Last edited by: shady: May 9, 21 17:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to watch that one. I really liked The People v. O.J. Simpson: An American Crime Story with Cuba Gooding Jr.

I was 12 and living in the Inland Empire at the time of the murders and I remember the white Bronco chase, but can't recall if I saw it live or just saw the replay on the news. I was homeschooled and we watched the trial almost every day, but the TV series gave me a much better sense of the timeline of the events (I didn't realize that the Bronco chase was a few days after the murders. I had thought he was fleeing from the crime scene).

I think he went to her condo in a rage after smoking enough meth with the intent to kill Nicole and Ron Goldman was just unlucky enough to be there at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember watching something a bunch of years ago that made a really compelling argument that it was OJ's boy and OJ was taking the rap for him.

I don't remember much about it other than thinking, "Huh. That actually seems reasonable."

I then went back to being disinterested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia (Clark).

She has to be in the running for "Worst Performance by a Prosecuting Attorney" award.

But in true "Fuck up and move up" tradition, she seems to have made out well since quitting the DA's office after the trial.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have not seen any recent commentary. This is based on my recollections from back in the day.

1. OJ did it.

2. If you reject Fuhrman as not credible (which is not a crazy position to take), then you might have some doubt. It is possible that Fuhrman framed OJ with the glove.

3. With that jury, it is tough to say that better prosecutors would have gotten a conviction.

4. But, the lawyers in the civil case had an important bit of new evidence with the shoes. Might not have changed anything in the criminal case, but they missed it.

5. Judge Ito failed to control the case. It went way too long.

6. I still remember walking back to my office in DC after the verdict. The difference in the reactions of whites vs blacks was unmistakable. Things often seemed divided in this country (along various dimensions), but that division was the clearest of any I have seen in person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two big things came out of that investigation and trial - one very good, and one very bad

Good - Crime scene integrity

We now know that stomping over everything while gathering recording evidence is not optimal. I was watching This Is A Robbery on Netflix [about the 1990 theft of a couple million dollars worth of art from a private gallery in Boston] and one of the investigators said something like "this was before the OJ case, so no one knew much about preserving a crime scene. All we did was take photos and dust for fingerprints"

Bad - The Kardashians

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The OJ Trial [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember watching the Bronco chase at my buddy's house. It was the summer before college and we were watching Yo MTV Raps when somehow we stumbled across it. One of those moments you never forget.

The second unforgettable OJ moment, I was in an introductory physics class at Stockton (go Ospreys), and everyone filtered out into the hallway to watch it delivered live. Half of the reaction was cheers, the other half gasps. One of those moments when you suddenly realize you're not living the same collective reality you previously thought. It was jarring.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: The OJ Trial [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I remember watching the Bronco chase at my buddy's house. It was the summer before college and we were watching Yo MTV Raps when somehow we stumbled across it. One of those moments you never forget.

The second unforgettable OJ moment, I was in an introductory physics class at Stockton (go Ospreys), and everyone filtered out into the hallway to watch it delivered live. Half of the reaction was cheers, the other half gasps. One of those moments when you suddenly realize you're not living the same collective reality you previously thought. It was jarring.

I would love to see a poll of people who thought he should be acquitted back then and what they currently think.

Shirley a fair chunk of them have changed their opinion. Shirley.

Nevermind... roughly half of black people (as of 2015) now think he was guilty. Up from about 20-25% way back when...

Of course, many of the respondents in 2015 probably were too young to remember the events.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/...-simpson-was-guilty/

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: May 10, 21 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had gone out to the movies that night and got home late, flipped on the news and saw that the chase had ended by then where the car was parked back at his house. No social media back then so we were in the dark as to what had happened as the chase was going on. Some friends were at a bar watching the NBA Finals which had gone to a split screen with the chase and they said the whole place watched in silent disbelief.

For the verdict, a bunch of us at work were watching it. I said after it was announced that if any of us were on trial we’d have been found guilty, meaning it in regards to his having a high-profile defense team that got him acquitted. A black co-worker of mine erupted (and rightfully so), saying “No, you wouldn’t have been found guilty!”. I apologized and explained what I meant and he accepted, but I still felt stupid afterwards for saying it. Probably one for the regrets thread.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: The OJ Trial [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:

I would love to see a poll of people who thought he should be acquitted back then and what they currently think.

Shirley a fair chunk of them have changed their opinion. Shirley.

Nevermind... roughly half of black people (as of 2015) now think he was guilty. Up from about 20-25% way back when...

Of course, many of the respondents in 2015 probably were too young to remember the events.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/...-simpson-was-guilty/

2015 was after he pretty much confessed. 50% is better than 25%, but still, that’s a lot of denial.
Quote Reply