Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resume services - yay or nay?
Quote | Reply
I've had good coaching and practice for resume writing and interviewing ever since college. I've had recruiters tell me that I have a great resume. Right now, I'm really busy. I don't have the time. The resume/LinkedIn rewrite/revamp services seem to have become legit.

Anyone with experience using this sort of service? Buyer's remorse? Satisfied?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services - yay or nay? [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im sure there may be good ones, but do you really need to pay for it?

If yours is OK, why do you need to pay someone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might just be me, but as I hiring manager I have never made decisions based on superficial resume formatting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need a new resume, you need to find the time.

As a former hiring manager I never hired off a resume. As long as there were not numerous errors and the formatting was consistent the resume just gets you in the door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
I've had good coaching and practice for resume writing and interviewing ever since college. I've had recruiters tell me that I have a great resume. Right now, I'm really busy. I don't have the time. The resume/LinkedIn rewrite/revamp services seem to have become legit.

If you already have a great resume, how long can it really take to edit/update it?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services - yay or nay? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services - yay or nay? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:

If you already have a great resume, how long can it really take to edit/update it?

Not a hiring manager but from what I understand is a lot of bigger companies use programs to catch certain words and phrases to weed out the mountains of resumes then send the remaining qualified batch to the hiring manager. This is where I believe resume services come in as they use the exact words and tricks to get the resume past this first filter.

Of course the best method is to always know someone who can help put your resume on top of the pile and get a foot in the door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Headhunter/Recruiter here...here's what I tell people...If you make more than six figures a year, you need a professional resume. Period. They just look and present better and just like how recruiters serve a purpose...(good/great) resume writers do too. If you find a good one, they normally become a service for life. I have a dear friend who updates his customers' resumes no charge. I look at hundreds of resumes a day/week. I can spot a professionally written resume a mile away.

If you need a referral, HMU.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services - yay or nay? [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had a Exec Recruiter request or ask for my CV to be rewritten. I've not had issues with not getting in front of the write people for senior exec jobs.

I don't know anyone who uses a writing service, though equally I'm not sure they'd tell me if they did.

Its hardly a difficult task, if you're in the market for a six figure job, you should be able to articulate on paper why in order to land it.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services - yay or nay? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I've never had a Exec Recruiter request or ask for my CV to be rewritten. I've not had issues with not getting in front of the write people for senior exec jobs.

I don't know anyone who uses a writing service, though equally I'm not sure they'd tell me if they did.

Its hardly a difficult task, if you're in the market for a six figure job, you should be able to articulate on paper why in order to land it.

Andrew you are clearly smart and articulate. Some people are not, and some people in the 6 figure range don't have time. I have been recruiting for 21 years. I tell my candidates all the time, "go get that thing professionally written and get back to me". The reason recruiters don't request or ask for them to be rewritten is bc that gives my competition a leg up, too. That is the #1 reason I don't rewrite them myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services - yay or nay? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Not a hiring manager but from what I understand is a lot of bigger companies use programs to catch certain words and phrases to weed out the mountains of resumes then send the remaining qualified batch to the hiring manager. This is where I believe resume services come in as they use the exact words and tricks to get the resume past this first filter.

Of course the best method is to always know someone who can help put your resume on top of the pile and get a foot in the door.

This is why you get a resume service. Most resumes are filtered by a program/recruiter that may or may not know much about what you do (especially if it's technical/niche). So you may be incredibly qualified for the job and an easy pick for a hiring manager, but you get filtered because you said you "have managed several large scale projects" instead of "have acted as a project manager" (missed the keyword "project manager" filter).

I've heard it's better to look for an individual resume writer than a service though, as the services usually just farm out their work to a resume writer and act as a middleman.
Last edited by: PomDad: Sep 22, 20 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't doubt it's a service that helps some, 100% people have reviewed and commented on mine (career professionals and recruiters) I just think a lot of the services you see are not providing the intangible inputs that provide value.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume services - yay or nay? [PomDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PomDad wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

This is why you get a resume service. Most resumes are filtered by a program/recruiter that may or may not know much about what you do (especially if it's technical/niche). So you may be incredibly qualified for the job and an easy pick for a hiring manager, but you get filtered because you said you "have managed several large scale projects" instead of "have acted as a project manager" (missed the keyword "project manager" filter).

I've heard it's better to look for an individual resume writer than a service though, as the services usually just farm out their work to a resume writer and act as a middleman.

Bold above. THIS! My associate who does resume writing, does many of the same things I do, as a recruiter. He spends about 45-60 minutes doing an intake phone call. Then proceeds from there. Plus, a resume writer gets REAL inside information. Why?/How? well my associate actually gets calls, emails, recommendations from the people he actually helped land that last job. What amazes me, is my associate has a marketing budget of ZERO dollars. He has been in business for 20+ years and works primarily word of mouth. That last statement is why and how I know a real professional resume writer serves their purpose and make a difference. A good recruiter/headhunter and resume writer - we are not doctors, saving lives. But we sure as hell change people's lives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a good resume already you can probably update and be fine.

I have been in the Talent Acquisition space for the last 25 yrs or so.

Challenge is typically that people aren’t great at saying wha they do. The resume is your marketing material. If you can articulate what you have done effectively and align it to the role you are applying to then you should be good. Every job you apply to should require a slight tweak to highlight how your skills and experience align.

If you are not sure how to articulate what you have done then services like this are valuable. The companies that tend to be good at this are the outplacement companies as they work with impacted employees at all levels. Lots of these people might not have written a resume in 20 years.

Resumes are a slightly nuanced based on where in the world you are working. If you opt to leverage someone go local. In US/Canada we don’t put pictures, age or lots of personal info where elsewhere it’s common.

I spend a lot of time with employees in my organization on their resumes, social media and interviewing prep.
Quote Reply