Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

U.S. Open
Quote | Reply
Nevermind the weird timing in the Fall, I'm pumped.

Courses like Winged Foot are why I love the U.S. Open. I hate it when they play at the newer courses (Erin Hill, etc.). I want to see these ultra-exclusive, storied clubs. Winged Foot, Shinnecock, Baltusrol, Olympic, etc. Wish they could land some of the other famous clubs that we don't ever get to see - Cypress Point, Pine Valley, Seminole. Some probably aren't set up to host, but would be cool.

I'll go with Rory as my bet, with Webb Simpson as a sleeper.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pine Valley is too small, unfortunately, so it shall forever remain unseen to those not from "around here"

It's weird that one of the best golf courses in the US, is in such a shitty neighborhood

They also have that "asshole next door" of Trump National

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither Pine Valley nor Seminole have adequate space for spectators. TBH, I don't think Seminole is well suited to an Open. IIRC it's only about 7,000 yards and there's no room to lengthen it. Considering how fast the fairways would be, it would effectively be closer to 6,600 yards. Heavy emphasis on shot placement, sure, but you'd have guys going driver 8-iron into the Par 5s.

Personally I'd like to see them play the U.S. Open at Isleworth but I doubt the community would ever allow that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Nevermind the weird timing in the Fall, I'm pumped.

Courses like Winged Foot are why I love the U.S. Open. I hate it when they play at the newer courses (Erin Hill, etc.). I want to see these ultra-exclusive, storied clubs. Winged Foot, Shinnecock, Baltusrol, Olympic, etc. Wish they could land some of the other famous clubs that we don't ever get to see - Cypress Point, Pine Valley, Seminole. Some probably aren't set up to host, but would be cool.

I'll go with Rory as my bet, with Webb Simpson as a sleeper.

I could have written the exact post. The Masters and US Open are the 2 best weekends of the year.

My pick is also Rory with Jon Rahm and Webb Simpson as my other picks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many years ago I played a charity event at Winged Foot. It was such a great experience to play on a “proper” golf course.

Other than the constant caddy eye rolls it was an amazing day.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Other than the constant caddy eye-rolls it was an amazing day.

Did you fail to say "Wing-ED Foot?"

Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was either that or listening to his detailed description of the line I should take on a putt and then hitting said putt 4 times too hard and ruining his hopes and dreams for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw coverage and reporting the USGA may just start lean your way with a rotating narrowed selection of the old school courses. Merion didn't cut it from 1971 to 2013 because of the not big enough for a good crowd and too short in length. Funny how a short tight course with some challenging contoured greens can still frustrate the shit out of the bombers of today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Pine Valley is too small, unfortunately, so it shall forever remain unseen to those not from "around here"

It's weird that one of the best golf courses in the US, is in such a shitty neighborhood

They also have that "asshole next door" of Trump National

The area around East Lake GC has seen quite the gentrification since the Tour Championship has been played there every year. I vividly remember taking the bus there the first year.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My nephew works at Arcola CC in Paramus, which is literally right off the Garden State Parkway

Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Many years ago I played a charity event at Winged Foot. It was such a great experience to play on a “proper” golf course.

What would you shoot on the pro set up at Winged Foot?
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
triguy101 wrote:

What would you shoot on the pro set up at Winged Foot?

Back when I played a lot I would shoot in the low 90s. Even back then I’m quite sure that it would add 20-30 strokes to that score. The layout of the course is just littered with traps and risks. Biggest thing tho is the greens. They’re like glass. Crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread needs a bump. Winged Foot played much more difficult today.

They mentioned that a lot of the recent winners at the US Open were within a couple of shots halfway through, which isn't surprising when scoring is so difficult.

I hope DeChambeau can pull it off. He's due for a major. But my prediction is that Reed finishes it off.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:

They mentioned that a lot of the recent winners at the US Open were within a couple of shots halfway through, which isn't surprising when scoring is so difficult.

I hope DeChambeau can pull it off. He's due for a major. But my prediction is that Reed finishes it off.

Reed blew up. Matthew Wolff could make golf history. I found it quite compelling to watch yesterday and will be sure to tune in today.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Azinger just said that this is validation on steroids for everything that De Chambeau is doing.

hmmmmmmmm...
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockwaslen wrote:
zed707 wrote:

Reed blew up. Matthew Wolff could make golf history. I found it quite compelling to watch yesterday and will be sure to tune in today.

Yeah, it was interesting to see a player of Reed's quality completely collapse.

Wolff sure could of made golf history.

But DeChambeau made his own history. He's only the 3rd player to win the NCAA, US Amateur and the US Open. The other 2? Tiger and Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Paul Azinger just said that this is validation on steroids for everything that De Chambeau is doing.

hmmmmmmmm...

I could not believe he said that--what a stupid thing to say. You could just feel his fellow commentators cringe, but nobody dared touch it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

hmmmmmmmm...

I could not believe he said that--what a stupid thing to say. You could just feel his fellow commentators cringe, but nobody dared touch it.

Stupid is the PGA's drug testing. There is no way to not be skeptical about him putting on 50 pounds in 9 months. And a testing protocol that is pretty much completely secret doesn't alleviate that, it fuels it even more. If the last 25 years has taught us anything about sports, it is that rapid transformations are cause for concern.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
spockwaslen wrote:
zed707 wrote:

Yeah, it was interesting to see a player of Reed's quality completely collapse.

Wolff sure could of made golf history.

But DeChambeau made his own history. He's only the 3rd player to win the NCAA, US Amateur and the US Open. The other 2? Tiger and Jack.

DeChambeau was pretty impressive today. Looked like he was being all analytical on the last hole even. Don't know what he is doing with his little book.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply