Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Social Dilemma (Netflix) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
Unintended consequences like feelings of alienation by teenagers, teenager depression, teenage suicide (examples) are not baked into a system maxed for clicks and screen time.

And yet here we are...

Trust me, a true system *always* outputs what it outputs. By definition.

true, but at some point one has find a method to cut the chain of outputs, or how to limit the consequences of a 'system', or else one ends up with the circular and useless 'everything is connected to everything else', ie the invention of the binary electronic swith is the system, or the use of 'tools' such as the ancient use of stone fragments is the system that output social media.
Quote Reply
Re: The Social Dilemma (Netflix) [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way to win is not to play the game...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The Social Dilemma (Netflix) [ahaberkorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i watched with my teen and thought it was really well done. Loved seeing Pete from Mad Men playing the evil algorithm. Jaron Lanier is straight out of Dungeons and Dragons. My kid thought it was hilarious that "the centrist party" was the bogeyman.

what rang most true to me was Tristan saying "does it seem like over the past xx years things have gone absolutely crazy" yes, yes it does.

one thing -- the fictional nice suburban family -- is that degree of nonintervention by the parents standard in your experience?
Quote Reply
Re: The Social Dilemma (Netflix) [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Unintended consequences like feelings of alienation by teenagers, teenager depression, teenage suicide (examples) are not baked into a system maxed for clicks and screen time.

You don't have to be a genius to predict this outcome, though. And it may be a necessary symptom of the platform's main effect/strength/goal...

Which is the incredibly effective and addictive manipulation of human beings via beliefs/lies/BS.
Quote Reply
Re: The Social Dilemma (Netflix) [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
one thing -- the fictional nice suburban family -- is that degree of nonintervention by the parents standard in your experience?

hope not.
Quote Reply
Re: The Social Dilemma (Netflix) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and no.
First, I don't think the family(at least the mom) was fully noninterventionist. She made a half-hearted attempt to get the family to put technology aside and even came up with a way to get her son to do it for an extended period of time. It's just their was no follow-up/follow through.

Second, I think the biggest issue is that adults/parents are just as addicted to technology as their kids. And they don't want to apply those rules to themselves or feel like hypocrites for just imposing rules on their kids. So they turn a selective blind eye, not noticing the destructive elements or maybe just saying well...he's just playing video games or posting pictures. They don't even think that really bad things could be happening.
Quote Reply
Re: The Social Dilemma (Netflix) [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Second, I think the biggest issue is that adults/parents are just as addicted to technology as their kids.

Someone needs to limit the access of adults.

Seriously.

As much as I'm cool with letting adults get addicted to their drug of choice, this is a bit too pervasive, manipulative, and devastating to let run rampant.

Can we have a "War on Marketing"?
Quote Reply
Re: The Social Dilemma (Netflix) [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
...I think the biggest issue is that adults/parents are just as addicted to technology as their kids. And they don't want to apply those rules to themselves or feel like hypocrites for just imposing rules on their kids. So they turn a selective blind eye, not noticing the destructive elements or maybe just saying well...he's just playing video games or posting pictures. They don't even think that really bad things could be happening.

Yep. I totally agree. In post 12, above, I outlined a bunch of steps that people can take to somewhat limit and mitigate what's going on.

The first response to that post was somebody saying, basically, "...but it so convenient to do xyz..."

That convenience is by design. As a society, we're hooked.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply

Prev Next