Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fire pits [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
I guess a follow-up is what is the best method to keep a small child from getting burned. One of those rock curtain wall things?

Try teaching them not to be idiots...

We have a wood burning insert. The face of it gets incredibly hot. Kid never touches it.

Thanks for the advice Eyeroll emoji
Quote Reply
Re: Fire pits [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
LCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
I guess a follow-up is what is the best method to keep a small child from getting burned. One of those rock curtain wall things?

Try teaching them not to be idiots...

We have a wood burning insert. The face of it gets incredibly hot. Kid never touches it.

Thanks for the advice Eyeroll emoji

Hey, that wood burning freedom comes with responsibility ;-).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Yeah...I've seen stuff like that. There's a FB owners group that share all kinds of ideas that you might want to check out.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wood. Do not compromise on that point.

Ours is essentially a mini Stonehenge. Inner ring of boulders is about ten feet in diameter, outer ring about 15'. Sits between the barn and the horse field. But I'm guessing you're thinking smaller scale. Composite Adirondack chairs cost about a hundred apiece but were definitely worth the investment.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check local fire regulations.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Fire pits [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Check local fire regulations.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7317350#p7317350
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

Seems like your freedom is disappearing daily to me.

4 more years!!! Then 4 more!!! Then... well he’ll likely be dead by then but he will have made Don Jr dictator for life.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Fire pits [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Interesting.

Seems like your freedom is disappearing daily to me.

4 more years!!! Then 4 more!!! Then... well he’ll likely be dead by then but he will have made Don Jr dictator for life.

You should drink less
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have these folding chairs we bought summer of 2016 and they still look great. Had to stain them then and again beginning of this summer.

I doubt I paid this much for them though.

But they are nice chairs.

https://smile.amazon.com/...pop_mob_b_asin_title

I also agree with the solo stove recommendation for less smoke fire pit.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Sep 7, 20 19:15
Quote Reply
Re: Fire pits [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
This is mine. Picture taken about 2 minutes after I finished 6 years ago. Pines have grown in so it is completely secluded. Can't see the area from the house at all - just looks like a grove of trees. Woods that go for about a mile are behind so can't be seen from that direction. Rocks on the right become the table below. It won't blow away in a storm.

But the firepit itself is something you should look at. The iron ring is from Menards. I poured a concrete pad for everything to go in. Put the ring in place to get the shape of the rocks. Then laid the rocks up and mortared in place. Making sure to leave a hole for drainage.

I can provide directions if you want to do it. First step is collect a bunch of very large rocks. Then find a shovel to cut the flat spot into the hill. You'll want gloves.

ETA - the phlox now cascade over the rocks and look really nice in the Spring.

So.....

How about this

Stamp the ground flat

Sand

Bluestone call it 20 to 30 feet by 20 to 30 feet

Leave space in middle

Put fire ring

Mortar rocks around fire ring

I'm probably missing something important
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
This is mine. Picture taken about 2 minutes after I finished 6 years ago. Pines have grown in so it is completely secluded. Can't see the area from the house at all - just looks like a grove of trees. Woods that go for about a mile are behind so can't be seen from that direction. Rocks on the right become the table below. It won't blow away in a storm.

But the firepit itself is something you should look at. The iron ring is from Menards. I poured a concrete pad for everything to go in. Put the ring in place to get the shape of the rocks. Then laid the rocks up and mortared in place. Making sure to leave a hole for drainage.

I can provide directions if you want to do it. First step is collect a bunch of very large rocks. Then find a shovel to cut the flat spot into the hill. You'll want gloves.

ETA - the phlox now cascade over the rocks and look really nice in the Spring.

So.....

How about this

Stamp the ground flat

Sand

Bluestone call it 20 to 30 feet by 20 to 30 feet

Leave space in middle

Put fire ring

Mortar rocks around fire ring

I'm probably missing something important

That's pretty much it. I got a few bags of quickrete to pour a base of concrete for the firepit itself to keep the ground from heaving and causing issues.

Make sure to leave a hole at the bottom of the fire ring through the rocks to let water out he side. Otherwise when it rains you will have a place to soak your feet. That is one I actually got right the first time.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Sep 19, 20 21:50
Quote Reply
Re: Fire pits [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
windywave wrote:
I want one.

Away from the house

Thinking on pavers

Folding Adirondack chairs

I want wood boss wants gas

Talk to me.

Solo Bonfire. Look it up. Burns super clean. Clothes don't end up smelling like smoke. Won't even need pavers since the bottom stays cool to the touch.

I bought one for camping and have been using it in the back yard more than anything.

Just my 2 centavos

Although not directed to me originally I followed your advice when my wife started talking about how I t would be cool to have firepit. We’re going to do a significant outdoor living remodel in the next couple of years, so I wasn’t interested in anything permanent so the Solo, being portable, looked perfect.

We had our first burn today. That thing is awesome. So damn cool. As others have said, very little smoke, burned clean and easy. I bought the extra base piece and it stayed close completely cool to the touch the entire burn. I had it out on a paver path that leads off our deck, but I could have set up t n the deck itself with no issues.

We had hot dogs cooked over the fire and s’mores for dinner. Wife loves her birthday present. Windy, if you haven’t already done something different, this is what you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built a circular one out of wedge-shaped concrete blocks, stacked 3 high, about 9 years ago. Just has a gravel base, no pavers, and the adirondacks chairs (real ones, not stupid folding chairs) sit around it on the grass. They aren't mortared together, but thats never been a problem, I did it that way in case one cracked from the heat, but none have. It also means that drainage isn't an issue, nor is cleaning it out since all I have to do is remove a section of the wall (makes shovelling easier). I have a metal grate to cover it, fire dept had a look and said it's up to local code, so we're all good. Which reminds me, I really need to shovel out the thing.

Most of the wood we burn is stuff that I've had to cut in our own backyard, broken branches from nor'easters and the like.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Fire pits [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
windywave wrote:
I want one.

Away from the house

Thinking on pavers

Folding Adirondack chairs

I want wood boss wants gas

Talk to me.

Solo Bonfire. Look it up. Burns super clean. Clothes don't end up smelling like smoke. Won't even need pavers since the bottom stays cool to the touch.

I bought one for camping and have been using it in the back yard more than anything.

Just my 2 centavos

Although not directed to me originally I followed your advice when my wife started talking about how I t would be cool to have firepit. We’re going to do a significant outdoor living remodel in the next couple of years, so I wasn’t interested in anything permanent so the Solo, being portable, looked perfect.

We had our first burn today. That thing is awesome. So damn cool. As others have said, very little smoke, burned clean and easy. I bought the extra base piece and it stayed close completely cool to the touch the entire burn. I had it out on a paver path that leads off our deck, but I could have set up t n the deck itself with no issues.

We had hot dogs cooked over the fire and s’mores for dinner. Wife loves her birthday present. Windy, if you haven’t already done something different, this is what you need.

One of my husbands clients just gifted us a Solo Bonfire. It just arrived and is still in the box, but can’t wait to try it out. We’re probably going to have to buy the storage cover since it’ll be permanently outside year round and it snows a lot here.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Fire pits [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That client must really like your husband as that’s a heck of a gift. I thought the same re: the cover, but it comes with a carrying case/bag that seems to seal up tight enough to keep the weather off of it. I decided that ours will be fine in the case partially sheltered from the house overhang.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought on today, coming next week

These things are the new bikes or TP In covid, the manufacturer is backed up about a month
Quote Reply
Re: Fire pits [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I’m normally a last minute shopper but I’m glad I took a look at and bought one of these back in September because it was on back order and didn’t ship until last week. If I would have waited like normal I’d have been giving my wife a picture of the bonfire, instead of the actual bonfire, for her birthday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
That client must really like your husband as that’s a heck of a gift. I thought the same re: the cover, but it comes with a carrying case/bag that seems to seal up tight enough to keep the weather off of it. I decided that ours will be fine in the case partially sheltered from the house overhang.

Yeah, he’s a fantastic architect and will go above and beyond for clients when problems arise even if they haven’t hired him to do construction administration. (That being said, if it’s a major problem he has to charge actual money🤪). So, said client knew he wasn’t going to send a bill so he sent a Bonfire!

As for the cover, is it strong enough to handle lots of snow? We’ll shovel often, and will clear out the fire pit area, but a normal winter here is between 250-300 inches of snow. Might be worth the $50 for the all cover?

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
chriskal wrote:

Yeah, he’s a fantastic architect and will go above and beyond for clients when problems arise even if they haven’t hired him to do construction administration. (That being said, if it’s a major problem he has to charge actual money🤪). So, said client knew he wasn’t going to send a bill so he sent a Bonfire!

As for the cover, is it strong enough to handle lots of snow? We’ll shovel often, and will clear out the fire pit area, but a normal winter here is between 250-300 inches of snow. Might be worth the $50 for the all cover?

Hard to say, I’d guess the cover would be quicker and perhaps easier than the case? It seems to cinch up pretty tight. I’d wait until you get the stove and check it out before pulling the trigger on a cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t have any snow and hardly any weather (so cal) but went ahead and got the bundle with the cover and stand. Just keeps things nicer
Quote Reply

Prev Next