Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
trail wrote:
Indirectly, probably forever. As in I'll probably continue doing significant teleworking even after everything goes away.

;

Our company has implied, that work from home may also become a more standard thing. I think many companies are seeing that the work is still getting done, and they don't really need all these offices.

Also, I'll do curbside pick up forever what a great thing.

Assuming you do curbside pick up for groceries after ordering online? Who do you shop with?

Do you mind running me through the process? Where you park, how do they know you're there, does a store member come out to you? etc
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r7950 wrote:
The transition back to 100% will slowly take time from there. A good gauge of normal is when you have sold out rock concerts for older bands (Rolling Stones, etc).

I'm being optimistic in this thread, but I'm not sure if even the Stones will be performing that long.

Though I do believe there's a biotech team in the UK working on a vaccine developed from Keith Richards' plasma.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I work for a medical research facility . Awhile.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
It will be interesting to see how receptive countries are to travellers from US

I'm not optimistic

Bahamas travel guidelines.

that all seems reasonable. May have to head to Atlantis this fall and dive with the Sharks.

If you want to go shark diving out of Nassau, DM me and I’ll hook you up. That was once my job.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Essentially, how long do you think covid will directly impact your day to day life. Obviously there are going to be reverberations of this for decades.

But I think covid is going to be around at least till next summer. If there is a vaccine by the end of the year. (5 months away). It is still going to take months to distribute.

I'm going to repeat what I was talking to my sister about, a few weeks after the first reported cases in China.

I bet this becomes the new Common Cold.

Sure hope I wasnt right!
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is by "normal" you mean "as things were" it will NEVER go back to that

TheRef65 wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
trail wrote:
Indirectly, probably forever. As in I'll probably continue doing significant teleworking even after everything goes away.

Our company has implied, that work from home may also become a more standard thing. I think many companies are seeing that the work is still getting done, and they don't really need all these offices.

For me until at least 2026 or 2027, that is when the aerospace industry is anticipating getting back to normal.

Our leadership has kinda said "if you've been working virtually for some time before this started, and have been performing as well or perhaps better than before; you might NEVER return to your offices"

Our team is scattered between NJ, NY, DC/MD and CT so there's really no reason for us to take up that physical real estate

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
SDG wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
It will be interesting to see how receptive countries are to travellers from US

I'm not optimistic

Bahamas travel guidelines.

that all seems reasonable. May have to head to Atlantis this fall and dive with the Sharks.

If you want to go shark diving out of Nassau, DM me and I’ll hook you up. That was once my job.

your kidding right? That's a bucket list goal for me. Tiger Beach, and Stuart Coves are the places I plan to go. There or also with the Shark guys that head to Mexico to dive in cages with the great whites. Need to see if they are up and running.

will keep you in mind.
Last edited by: SDG: Jul 16, 20 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Some jobs will never be WFH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until the moment that we can safely let people in schools without masks and 200 other sanitizing/ distancing precautions.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be gone Nov 7th....

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Our leadership has kinda said "if you've been working virtually for some time before this started, and have been performing as well or perhaps better than before; you might NEVER return to your offices"

Remarkably timely to this thread, we JUST got an email saying "If you're in the group identified as 'telecommuting until further notice' AND your assigned workstation is in the areas below, we request that you remove your personal belongings from your assigned workstation by July 31"

Basically, being kicked out, as I read it

Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally....an answer I agree with.

Quote:
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [Jrt&j&m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jrt&j&m wrote:

Quote:

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
For me until at least 2026 or 2027, that is when the aerospace industry is anticipating getting back to normal.

???? Or is this limited to commercial aviation? I can see that with cancellations in aircraft orders. I am in aerospace (well, space) and we are full throttle. I am busoer than ever. Supporting astronauts doesn't stop for Covid, and new programs are full steam ahead (no touch labor yet, so certainly that helps).

I put my marker down and told my coworkers that no earlier than April 1, 2021 is my expectation to be at work.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Remarkably timely to this thread, we JUST got an email saying "If you're in the group identified as 'telecommuting until further notice' AND your assigned workstation is in the areas below, we request that you remove your personal belongings from your assigned workstation by July 31"

Basically, being kicked out, as I read it
If your employer leases their office space then it make sense to clean out that space and save some money. I am not planing on going into our office on a regular basis for another year. At the same time we have a long term plan on expanding footprint in that office building, so I don't think we will be cleaning it out any time soon. The company is paying for the lease for a year when they don't really need it, but that is under the expectation that we will be back with larger need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sake of discussion and counterpoint to several in this thread who foresee work from home 'forever' or becoming the new dominant paradigm, I was interested to read this article which takes the position that the death of the in-person office has been overstated.

https://www.nytimes.com/...om-home-failure.html

Among other things, it points out that big, dedicated moves toward remote workforces have been tried before without lasting success; and argues that innovation suffers from lack of spontaneous, in-person encounters, and a particular company culture can be harder to develop remotely.

I think I agree to some extent with the article - I think there may not be the huge, permanent shift to remote everything once it's not required by the pandemic. But I've been wrong about a lot of things in the last 4-5 months, and I also personally want to be able to go back to an office, so maybe this is just my bias showing.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
If your employer leases their office space then it make sense to clean out that space and save some money

Actually, I'm in a building we own, but I can see moving what people we can out, then bringing in people from the leased space, and getting out of that

But, basically, yeah, they've been wanting to do that for ages, and now they have a great opportunity

Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:

???? Or is this limited to commercial aviation? I can see that with cancellations in aircraft orders. I am in aerospace (well, space) and we are full throttle. I am busoer than ever. Supporting astronauts doesn't stop for Covid, and new programs are full steam ahead (no touch labor yet, so certainly that helps).

I put my marker down and told my coworkers that no earlier than April 1, 2021 is my expectation to be at work.

Commercial, our military is going crazy. We do very little for the space program but those areas are busy as well. I have been back in the office since June 1 and don't expect that to change any time soon. However, our governor just said we should WFH if possible.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

How has it impacted your tipping policy?

Walmart does not allow their employee's to accept tips. So it works very well.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helliquin wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
trail wrote:

;

Assuming you do curbside pick up for groceries after ordering online? Who do you shop with?

Do you mind running me through the process? Where you park, how do they know you're there, does a store member come out to you? etc

I use Walmart. Place order, pick a 1hr window I want to pick up the stuff in (interesting, thats when the shoot to have it ready now they hit the beginning or early, but you can actually pick up anytime after. Anyhow they shoot a text / and or email, saying they are picking and then a list of items they did not have. If you choose to substitute (you check that box when you order- for each item individually) they tell you what item they are subbing (if you don't want the item they subbed with you can start a return and then when you pick it up tell the person you are returning that item -- I have never done a substitution the only thing we check the box for is banana's and they just sub with the organic. )

Then when it is ready to pick up the app ping's your phone you hit the check in. it tells you how far from the store you are (this helped me once as I have 3 walmarts I shop at and i started heading to the wrong one once) when you the there they have dedicated spots, the app detects you in the lot, you select the spot number and the color of your car.

I then pop my trunk, and put my drivers license in the window. Eventually(within a minute or so if they are not loading another car) they come out, with your order (with alcohol they need to see the license) without it's just the easiest no verbal way for them to check its the right person, sometimes they do, other times, if I am the only car, they just load up the trunk, close it, we give each other the thumbs up and I drive away. Sometimes I'll be playing or reading on my phone, and all of the sudden feel a thud or hear it from the back and it startles me, as they have started loading the car and I didn't even notice.

for the past month or more I would say I am in the parking lot, less then 10 min 100% of the time, less than 5 min 90% of the time. Now its slowed down so much, i can put an order in online around noon and select a 4 or 5pm pick up same day. So lately if the store I had chosen for the Sat. Pickup ends up out of something the wife wants, we place an order that day with one of the other nearby (within 15 min drive) find enough stuff to get us to $35 and pick it up that evening.

When this started you had to pounce on openings a week out. and then as they expanded they could not handle it so your order might not be ready for several hours after your selected time. But not an issue at all anymore.

I had thought of and others do. Put an envelope in the trunk labeled tip and put some cash in there. But like I said in other post, Walmart does not allow employees to accept tips, so I skip that part. (early on it was always the same person, now it seems to be someone different each time)

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Until the moment that we can safely let people in schools without masks and 200 other sanitizing/ distancing precautions.

Oh so you mean now, right.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you think Covid will directly impact your daily life / Covid will be around [Jrt&j&m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jrt&j&m wrote:

Quote:

Wow a global pandemic will disappear cause America counts a bunch of ballots. Could you explain how that works?

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Safely. Not emotionally or stubbornly.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next