Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Terriers doing their thing killing rats
Quote | Reply
Enjoyed watching these videos of terriers doing what they were bred to do.

I love the brown fuzzy dog in the second video. This little guy loves his job

Quote Reply
Re: Terriers doing their thing killing rats [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had two Airedales when we were in England. Couldn't stop them from chasing rabbits. But a field mouse was in our kitchen one time, and they couldn't be bothered.

We were told, "The breed's gone off."

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Terriers doing their thing killing rats [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
We had two Airedales when we were in England. Couldn't stop them from chasing rabbits. But a field mouse was in our kitchen one time, and they couldn't be bothered.

We were told, "The breed's gone off."

Lol, we have two Boston terriers and a mouse ran by in the living room once and they both just looked, pretty sure the male maybe groaned but that’s it. Grass hoppers and butterflies are more their thing.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Terriers doing their thing killing rats [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in high school I was picking a girl up for our first date, She lived out in the country. When they let me in to meet her parents, a mouse ran through the living room. Their two dachsunds took off after it. We joked that we had a "rat good time" on our first date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little different, but similar vein, our current pup is a boxer/pit bull mix. She’s sweet as pie and loves other dogs. I take her to the dog park a lot and her favorite thing to there is wrestle/fight , with other dogs. It is always 100% play, and I can’t emphasize enough how much I despise actual dog fights and fighters. But watching her work and eventually pin down mutts 50-75 pounds heavier than her (she’s about 55lb) is pretty amazing.

This is her with one of her buddies Bear. He’s about 15 month old GSD and a big boy at least 115 lbs. They are best buds but will wind up kicking his ass (in a fun way) every time they get together. My point to all this I guess is that while I find dog fighting to be damn near the most repulsive thing possible, watching her do her thing for play, as long as it’s just play, is amazing. Kind of like those people terriers.:)

In this picture they’re taking a break and she’s trying to get Bear to get up and go another round. He’s tired, as was she, and a few seconds after I put my phone away she laid sown next to him and they shared that stick for awhile.

Last edited by: chriskal: Feb 15, 20 21:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome videos, thanks.

We used to have two miniature Schnauzers, they were both from the same litter. It was amazing how different when it came to this sort of thing. One of them had the killer instinct like this, if it was small and moved, it had to die. She would hunt squirrels in the woods in our backyard for hours if we let her. Her sister.... completely indifferent to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Parson Russell Terrier whose motto seemed to be, "if it moves, it dies". He'd chase or hunt down anything. That was until he saw a horse out on a trail one day, he couldn't get away fast enough. His tenacity was amazing.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Terriers doing their thing killing rats [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
A little different, but similar vein, our current pup is a boxer/pit bull mix. She’s sweet as pie and loves other dogs. I take her to the dog park a lot and her favorite thing to there is wrestle/fight , with other dogs. It is always 100% play, and I can’t emphasize enough how much I despise actual dog fights and fighters. But watching her work and eventually pin down mutts 50-75 pounds heavier than her (she’s about 55lb) is pretty amazing.

This is her with one of her buddies Bear. He’s about 15 month old GSD and a big boy at least 115 lbs. They are best buds but will wind up kicking his ass (in a fun way) every time they get together. My point to all this I guess is that while I find dog fighting to be damn near the most repulsive thing possible, watching her do her thing for play, as long as it’s just play, is amazing. Kind of like those people terriers.:)

In this picture they’re taking a break and she’s trying to get Bear to get up and go another round. He’s tired, as was she, and a few seconds after I put my phone away she laid sown next to him and they shared that stick for awhile.

Both pups look great! We have a young GSD and I know exactly what you mean re watching them work. Its amazing. My parents have a 3.5 year old Berner and we take them to play all the time, watching them out work one another is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently encountered Malinois for the first time. They are also amazing (and terrifying)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was awesome! Notice all the farmers had their pants tucked into their boots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an astounding number of rats... way more than I would have guessed.
Quote Reply
Re: Terriers doing their thing killing rats [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
That was awesome! Notice all the farmers had their pants tucked into their boots.

Hahaha. Yeah, I bet someone learned the hard way not to give them a place to run up your leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My newest puppy has that instinct too. Although thankfully she doesn't have that many critters to chase. She doesn't kill, sh grabs them and walks around like she won the SB and it's the trophy, then lets it go. Mostly possum and the occasional rat. She tries like hell to catch the birds, but she's a little too slow.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have four Border Collies. Had a squirrel laid on my top step last week. They are constantly chasing anything that hits the ground and love digging up moles in the pasture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching dogs do what they were bred for is incredible.

My golden retriever is a very close working dog and seeing her get birdy on a pheasant is pretty cool, she is usually only 5 to 10 yards ahead so you can really see here working scent. She is so laid back and easy going until it is time to chase roosters.

Our new pup Nicki is going to be a spectacle in the field next year, she has a crazy prey drive. I promise to bring the gopro hunting next year and get some video of my dogs working birds.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an American Foxhound. A year ago we got up early to head out on vacation and let him into the backyard. It was still dark.
I heard a horrible squealing and our little dog (a dachsund/Yorkie mix) was barking like crazy.
I grab a flashlight and a possum is standing under our foxhound. Somehow my dog swoops up the possum.
Fortunately I got him to drop the possum which in turn bolted for the fence. I swear the possum gave me a quick "thanks" look as it bolted.
Some day my foxhound is going to catch a heron that keeps eyeballing our fish in our pond. I won't show the heron any sympathy.
Quote Reply