Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [jlh1750] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlh1750 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

The only time I ever play the doctor card is in jest, when my husband starts acting like the life authority on everything, and I remind him my degree is higher than his.

I have said to mine on occasion "How many more letters do I need after my name for you to start listening to me?"

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [jlh1750] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlh1750 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Yea douchebags. So much shady stuff went on also. The guy is an insecure nutcase.

Surprisingly, the white coat thing for PTs is becoming more and more common. I dont get it. We're just PTs. So much insecurity.

I'm also a DPT-and could not agree more with you on this. I graduated ten years ago, and even back then felt like it was just a bunch of filler courses added to call it a doctorate degree, without adding to clinical skills or knowledge. My school actually did a "white coat ceremony" to make us feel more like "doctors". Every year now, they still try to solicit donations from me so current students can have this life-changing experience. My white coat is somewhere in storage, never worn.

The only time I ever play the doctor card is in jest, when my husband starts acting like the life authority on everything, and I remind him my degree is higher than his. I'll also very occasionally pull it out when patients imply that becoming a PT is akin to taking a weekend course and I should ultrasound their shoulder because their PCP said they have arthritis...but these circumstances are rare.

They started the white coat ceremony 2 years after my class graduated. Dodged a bullet. I did get to hear my name called on the stage in Carnegie Hall as a doctor, so that was cool. But that was enough ego stroking for me. Back into the real world. So many DPTs I meet are insufferable. Not all, but so many. Social media is the worst, all they care about is the doctor title. I feel like thats the "get off my lawn" version for us.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turtleherder wrote:
I also have a J.D and don’t demand that people call me doctor. I instead insist on Mr. So-and-So, Esquire.

Dr. So-and-so, Esq.

When I was was a little kid one of our doofus neighbors had esq. on his mailbox. I asked my dad why and he said,”because he’s a lawyer.” I wondered why he wanted the mailman to know he was a lawyer.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turtleherder wrote:
I also have a J.D and don’t demand that people call me doctor. I instead insist on Mr. So-and-So, Esquire.

I always insist that our firm's holiday party invite be sent to "Dr. and Mrs. Dr. OakCliffTri, Jr., JD, Esq." It cracks me up to see it written.

For some reason when I check in to Hyatt hotels the tv always says Welcome Dr. OakCliff Tri- must have been something stupid I did when i was first licensed.

But IME PhDs are the worst about insisting about being called Dr. I will play along a little but shut it down during trial testimony so long as no one on my jury is a PhD too.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to the thread in general.. it's been said that the academic path is something like:

BS = (we know what that stands for)
MS = More of the Same
PhD = Piled Higher & Deeper

Disclaimer: I went "ABD" = to go After Bigger Dollars
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
turtleherder wrote:

Dr. So-and-so, Esq.

When I was was a little kid one of our doofus neighbors had esq. on his mailbox. I asked my dad why and he said,”because he’s a lawyer.” I wondered why he wanted the mailman to know he was a lawyer.

Anyone that's mainly chasing or concerned about the letters, is in it for the wrong reason. The height of pretentiousness was a college housemate of mine. Senior year before he headed to Law School he started adding ESQ { ____ future graduation year} after his name. He never made it through law school.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
sometimes in healthcare settings i'll introduce myself as Dr (or mention that my wife is a biologist) in the course of explaining that we can maybe digest higher-order information that some other patients.

like, when a doctor starts talking about my "thigh bone," . . . "it's OK doc, you can say femur." that way we end up having a more frank and more informative conversation about test results or prognoses or whatever.

YES. THIS.

I flex my doctor title (PhD in biomedical sciences and pathobiology) when meeting new doctors because I don't need things translated into layspeak, and it's much easier to talk about things and also be taken seriously when I bring up concerns or questions. I also do so when I'm with my husband at his appointments with new doctors because they will think we're a bit out there when we start asking difficult questions.

I don’t have a title - but still as someone who has run failure analysis processes ask total PITA statistical questions. I’m generally shocked how little doctors know about the top failure modes etc. maybe I should finish my PhD that I left ABD to justify my PITA level?
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a general dentist for 25 years. Graduated from a very prestigious University. I don't give a rats ass what people call me. Just pay your bill!

However, I guess I'm old school...I hate it when my teenage daughter's friends address me by my first name. I certainly don't expect Dr....but Mr. would be nice. I don't say anything, though.

I have a buddy from dental school that now places dental implants and provides all kinds of dental prosthetics in Fort Lauderdale. He always says, "for what I do, and how much they pay me...I don't care what they call me."

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
turtleherder wrote:

I always insist that our firm's holiday party invite be sent to "Dr. and Mrs. Dr. OakCliffTri, Jr., JD, Esq." It cracks me up to see it written.

For some reason when I check in to Hyatt hotels the tv always says Welcome Dr. OakCliff Tri- must have been something stupid I did when i was first licensed.

But IME PhDs are the worst about insisting about being called Dr. I will play along a little but shut it down during trial testimony so long as no one on my jury is a PhD too.

Haha I did the same with my hyatt acct. back when I first graduated. thought it would help me get upgrades.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the first 10-15 years of my career in the office I mostly went by my first name in the office. If the patients don't understand they are seeing a doctor something is wrong. For the last ten years I have introduced myself as Dr. X. I found the familiarity of first name basis eroded a professional relationship to a certain degree. But it someone calls me on my first name I don't call them on it. Sometimes folks use your first name because they want to say something really heartfelt. I don't want to undercut that. Outside the office I mainly deal on first name basis or Mr.

If I was in hospital as a patient or with a relative I would only point out I was a doc if it helped. Like if someone was trying to put explanation in layman's language I am happier to hear it with all the medical terms.

Plane tickets I go as doctor as I am happy to help out if there is a problem. Lol one of my worries would be if I had to start an IV on a plane. I have not done it in so many years it might take a few attempts. Hopefully a nurse would help me out

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol@ american lawyers using 'esquire' as a title.

qc is generally the only title added to lawyer's names here, and for that you need to be awarded qc status (ie Queen's Counsel - usually the top court room advocates who have applied for it and been granted it).

Is there anything similar to a QC in the US?
Last edited by: fulla: Feb 18, 20 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
lol@ american lawyers using 'esquire' as a title.

qc is generally the only title added to lawyer's names here, and for that you need to be awarded qc status (ie Queen's Counsel - usually the top court room advocates who have applied for it and been granted it).

Is there anything similar to a QC in the US?

Not that I can think of off hand. I’ve heard of a few pseudo honorifics like “lead counsel”, or the ever popular “Superlawyer” but those are mainly made up by marketing companies.

And, just to be clear, the only attorneys using Esq. other than for amusement are probably sociopaths.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
spudone wrote:
In a hospital, the title goes with responsibilities so like you said, no one wants that confusion.

In a casual setting, it doesn't hurt anyone. My dad was a combat medic, but not an M.D. His Army friends still called him Doc even after they were all civilians.

I think a lot of non-medical Ph.Ds avoid using Dr. outside of academic settings, just to avoid confusion.

For a combat medic, I believe it is a badge of honor the other guys put on their medic by calling him "doc". My dad was a Marine in Vietnam. To this day, he still refers to the Navy Medic as "doc". Also said these medics are some of the bravest men he has ever met. I have a former Navy Medic that works with me now. He doesn't tell anyone he was a medic but I do. Some of the old vets, especially the retired Marines, will give him a hard time when they hear he was in the Navy. I'll tell em "he wasn't just in the Navy, he was a corpsman". Almost universally, these old vets will stand up, grab his hand, and say to him "doc, you are not just a Navy man, you are a Marine". Its really cool to watch the level of respect these guys have for Navy Corpsmen.

Sorry, to go slightly off topic.

I spent 20 years as a Navy Corpsman, 14 with the Marine Corps. When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton it was not easy to hide that I was a Corpsman, when i moved to Virginia Beach I just told people I was in the Navy, but every now and then it would/does come up in conversation.

Now as a young Corpsman hanging in bars with my Marines being called Doc brought in some good attention from others in the bar.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Whats with doctors and their titles? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:
spudone wrote:
In a hospital, the title goes with responsibilities so like you said, no one wants that confusion.

In a casual setting, it doesn't hurt anyone. My dad was a combat medic, but not an M.D. His Army friends still called him Doc even after they were all civilians.

I think a lot of non-medical Ph.Ds avoid using Dr. outside of academic settings, just to avoid confusion.

For a combat medic, I believe it is a badge of honor the other guys put on their medic by calling him "doc". My dad was a Marine in Vietnam. To this day, he still refers to the Navy Medic as "doc". Also said these medics are some of the bravest men he has ever met. I have a former Navy Medic that works with me now. He doesn't tell anyone he was a medic but I do. Some of the old vets, especially the retired Marines, will give him a hard time when they hear he was in the Navy. I'll tell em "he wasn't just in the Navy, he was a corpsman". Almost universally, these old vets will stand up, grab his hand, and say to him "doc, you are not just a Navy man, you are a Marine". Its really cool to watch the level of respect these guys have for Navy Corpsmen.

Sorry, to go slightly off topic.

I spent 20 years as a Navy Corpsman, 14 with the Marine Corps. When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton it was not easy to hide that I was a Corpsman, when i moved to Virginia Beach I just told people I was in the Navy, but every now and then it would/does come up in conversation.

Now as a young Corpsman hanging in bars with my Marines being called Doc brought in some good attention from others in the bar.

Well, all of my respect to you sir! The way Marines brag about you guys, you'd believe you all walked on water.
Quote Reply

Prev Next