Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watch repair/refurbish UPDATE
Quote | Reply
I know there are some watch people on this forum and wanted your input. I am looking at getting my fathers Omega Seamaster serviced. He bought it new in ‘63 I have the box and papers. From the serial number it was made in ‘61. He wore it as an ever day watch for the better part of 30 years. I’m not sure he ever got it serviced. It runs but loses about a minute and hour. I know there is some value to it but I’m not looking at that I would like to get it back up and running right and maybe be able to give it to my son. Where should I go to get it serviced. I’m in Wyoming so I know I will have to sent it somewhere. I assume an Omega authorize repair place? I’m guessing it would be a 1k or more to have it completely taken apart and serviced with new seals and such. Will this effect the value in any way. Thanks for you reply
Last edited by: Decker21: Nov 17, 20 15:11
Quote Reply
Re: Watch repair/refurbish [Decker21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to get it serviced, contact Omega. Give them the all the information you have for the watch. It may be $500 or so. If it only requires an adjustment and no replacement parts, it could be less.
I'm not sure if it would negatively affect the value after having it serviced, but I doubt it will have an impact.
Can you post a photo of the watch? I'd like to see it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ideally a omega service centre

There's little different in price between an omega sc and a watchmaker who can service them.

The guy who services my watches, can do omega, rolex, Iwc and Patek. He's not official but is one of the best dealers in the UK so very trusted.

In wy, I'd go the official route, good watch makers are scarce
Quote Reply
Re: Watch repair/refurbish [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit to add. Minimus service for a omega in the UK is about 500 pounds. Parts and anything else will be more

If the oil has not be changed since the 60's I'm guessing they strip and clean interior and look for wear and will then get back to you. I'm guessing it will be more than 500
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replacing the battery on my wife's Piaget is about $200, so $500 for a tune up on your watch seems reasonable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And my dad has been in the hospital for two weeks getting tuned up for five or six heart artery bypasses and three valve replacements. His insurance company is probably going to be billed for about $6K per day and then about $150K for the surgery if he can get strong enough to handle it.

He will probably pay less than $12K for everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think $500 is very optimistic.

I have a 20 year old Seamaster that was a wedding gift from my wife. It stopped running a few years back and I finally sent it out to Omega for repairs. The estimate I got back was $1200.

I told them to box it up and send it back.

Oddly enough, it has run ever since and now keeps perfect time again.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch repair/refurbish [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're meant to have them serviced every 3-5 years give or take.

I've always been at the upper limit on having watches serviced, it's expensive, but I'm not sure I'd stretch it to a decade because the oils degrade, wear increases and then you're looking at parts plus service.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch repair/refurbish [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Watch repair/refurbish [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
You're meant to have them serviced every 3-5 years give or take.

I've always been at the upper limit on having watches serviced, it's expensive, but I'm not sure I'd stretch it to a decade because the oils degrade, wear increases and then you're looking at parts plus service.

I used to have mine done on a pretty regular basis at an old school local watchmaker. He closed up and now everyone will only send it out to Omega which charges 5x the price.

I wear my Fenix 5 daily now.

I'll end up giving my the watch and E30 M3 to my son when I get too old to enjoy them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy I must be forum post challenged but for the life of me I can’t get pictures to post. What am I doing wrong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decker21 wrote:
Jimmy I must be forum post challenged but for the life of me I can’t get pictures to post. What am I doing wrong?

You can only attach very small files. I would upload it to a website like imgur.com and then get the URL from there and post it that way.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm as challenged as you are, as I've never added a photo. You can attach the photo to your profile quite easily.. I had a Seamaster that I sent for service in Canada. I think I paid just under $500 for the service, and I had a couple of parts replaced. I sent it to Omega in Toronto. I would suggest sending your watch to Omega in whichever country you're in. I found some good photos of 1963 Seamasters on Google. It's a nice, understated watch.
Last edited by: jimmy d: Feb 13, 20 22:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the watch have a dive bezel? If so, it might be very valuable. Depending on the condition of the movement I would guess you're looking at $300-$1,000. I have a watchmaker I use regularly at Ben Bridge Jeweller inside Park Meadows mall (south Denver). Feel free to give them a call and ask for Ryan and at minimum he can give you some more recommendations. He works on a lot of older Rolex models that Rolex will not service themselves, along with other modern stuff if it can't be sent out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the link to the images to work . I called Omega Factory service and they are sending me a box so I can send it into them for an evaluation. I will keep you posted on their estimate. Thanks for the feedback
Last edited by: Decker21: Feb 13, 20 22:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! It's a great watch, and the fact you have the box and the paperwork adds a lot of value. Keep us posted on what Omega does. There is a history with this watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Omega service center for the US is (or used to be) in New York. They do fantastic work. However, they are not fast....be prepared for a 4-6 month turnaround. And they are also at the mercy of the movements--while they don't usually change, and most of the '60s are still being utilized today, if they can't get parts for something internal, it can get pricey quick. But so it would be at any other high-end service center. I sent them a titanium seamaster chrono that the bezel had gotten knocked off, and they replaced it with a newer version since they didn't have the originals any longer. Same price as original quote.

BTW, minute an hour isn't horrible for a 60 y.o. mechanical. A minute a day is within tolerance for "new", and if it really was never serviced is a testament to how well made these were back before Omega became a fashion brand (that being said, they still make a lot of great watches).

Thats great you are saving your fathers watch--they will last almost forever if properly cared for.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish i'd have seen this sooner. www.timecareinc.com is a good place. If Rikki is still running the place he was certified in all sorts, and has an account with all of the companies (I think Rolex pushed him out finally) so he can get parts. Great guy to deal with.

One thing I'll add: only get guts fixed/replaced. Don't let them replace your dial or any of that. The patina is the value. Original parts with patina is what is wanted. Now if you don't care about that, and just want a nice watch, then have them replace whatever they want to make it look like new.

Really nice watch. Great family heirloom!
Quote Reply
Re: Watch repair/refurbish [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if you are keeping the watch as a user, I would pay to get it refurbished and shined up. It may not be worth what it would cost, but since it is a family deal do we really care? I am not that sentimental but you may be.(I also don't own a watch) I have seen some really beat up old watches come back like new. Probably need a new crystal if it was a daily user Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well got my dads watch back from Switzerland today. They rebuild most of it. Got a bag full of gears and parts that they replaced, new crystal, new seals, and cleaned up the face. They guarantee that’s it back to the original factory specification. I will again try and add a few more pictures. Almost 10 months but not bad considering we are in a global pandemic. Cost was 1,500 but worth it to have it running and keeping good time again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you post a picture of all the parts you got back? Especially the gears.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Watch repair/refurbish UPDATE [Decker21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a few others said, not send to an Omega service center.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/customer-service

Servicing the watch is like doing maintenance on a car. Oil change, new tires, air filter, etc are all good things. It doesn’t hurt the value. If anything , help it.

They should be able to check the watch band pins and also shine it up too. I bet it will look brand new when they are done. It’s cool that you have an original Seamaster that was in the family! You are doing the right thing. I bet that watch still has value of about $1800 even its unfixed condition and I bet whatever the service is will add to its value and put it at $2500 or more.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch repair/refurbish [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://imgur.com/a/uftvnNn
Here are part and gears. It’s crazy how small and dirty they were. When you see them you can understand the price to refurbish
Quote Reply