Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

THE 100 on CW and Netflix
Quote | Reply
SO I did a search and zilch. Any of you hard core Sci Fi fans watching or have watched this series? I have been sick for 3 weeks, so binged the 6 seasons, and cannot wait for number 7 this spring. It was really well done, and I just loved how each season transitioned to an entirely new theme, while wrapping up the old one nicely.

Premise is post apocalypse earth, about a 100 years into the future. Humanity sent 13 colonies out into space on stations to ride out the 100 years it would take the earth to rebound from all the radiation. So for a few generations, mankind has lived in space, with very limited resources, and a hair trigger on crime, with everything punishable by death(to keep populations down) Only kids under 18 are spared and thrown in jail until they are 18, then they get floated(method of execution, sent into space).

But as luck would have it, the station is dying, so they send 100 of their kids in jail to the surface of earth, to see if it is habitual yet. This is where the story really begins, and then 6 seasons about the survival of the human race, those 100 kids, and the fact that they find out the earth was not exactly empty of folks all those years...

I loved the hard core sci fi element to the show, didn't veer off into the fantasy genre hardly at all.. Anyone else watch this show? really surprised it has not come up as of yet, I would put it in my top 10 of all time sci fi series...
Quote Reply
Re: THE 100 on CW and Netflix [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i watched like 6 episodes and didnt get into it....
Quote Reply
Re: THE 100 on CW and Netflix [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not knowing your tastes in Sci Fi, hard to know why you abandoned. But for me, the first season was the worst one, and it just got better and better. Number two was quite eery in that it reminded me of the old Boy and His Dog flick from the early 70's with Don Johnson. But in your first 6 episodes it did seem like it was going to just be some space station adventure, that would burn the story out quickly. But like I said, it moved quite quickly, in fact each season pretty much ended a chapter, and began a new fresh one..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched the first season (maybe second also, can't remember) back when it originally aired, but never picked it up again as it got annoying.

My recollection was that it was suffered from the typical "CW treatment", which consists of a whole bunch of young overly beautiful adults, perfectly over dressed, acting way overly important and influential. The dumb stupid drama was out of proportion to the actual story.

Having said that, I do remember thinking that the premise had tons of potential, but that CW was shitting the bed and wasting it like they usually do.

Maybe I need to go back and watch again and possibly it improved some. Had no idea it was up to Season 7 now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoilers:

I’m not sure where I left off but it was around the time they found that small group living underground in the advanced building and they we’re going to use there blood for transfusions or something like that. It got a little weird and I lost interest.

Beyond that I did like it, maybe I’ll try to get back into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched the first two seasons, then lost track before season 3 came out. I enjoyed it. Need to go back and binge the rest one of these days.
Quote Reply
Re: THE 100 on CW and Netflix [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
Spoilers:

I’m not sure where I left off but it was around the time they found that small group living underground in the advanced building and they we’re going to use there blood for transfusions or something like that. It got a little weird and I lost interest.

Beyond that I did like it, maybe I’ll try to get back into it.

That's where I left off also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok. i will go back and watch. I typically like all type of good sci - fi. I had no clue it made it to 6 seasons. Anything with that gets to 100 episodes is generally worth watching for SOME audience. Thanks for the rec!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And they are probably wrapping up season 7 now too, but have said this is it. So imagine it will wrap up nicely, like the previous seasons did. Ya, over a 100 shows means someone is watching...(-;

I'm just stoked Netflix picked it up and I would rip through it in a few weeks..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it got lame after the second season. Too much time spent on typical CW teeny soap opera stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: THE 100 on CW and Netflix [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too much time spent on typical CW teeny soap opera stuff. //

Yes, of course there was that element of the show, but there was also some nice character development going on too. Guess that was the beauty of having so many seasons to work with. At least they did not go so far as to invent some 1,000,000 B.C. string bikini for all the women to wear, now that would have gone too far... (-;

It is just that there is so little good hard sci fi anymore, especially in a long run series, that I would put up with almost anything to enjoy the storylines...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has watched it all--she's a big CW fan. I watched a few episodes with her--but as other's have said thought it was to CWish (young beautiful people) for me. On your sickened recommendation I'll go back and give it a whirl

Just checking? You're all up on 'The Expanse'--including the new season (thank you Jeff Bezos)? Best SciFi currently being made and one of the best series of all time. Book #9 should be out from the author team sometime this year.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: THE 100 on CW and Netflix [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I did watch the Expanse, and loved the first two seasons. I think I lost track when I cut the cable cord however, is it on Netflix or other venues now? As I recall, pretty well done with some good stories, and hard sci fi elements. Would love to get back on it, what season are they on? Is it a done series, or still going??

And since the 100 is about 100 sub18 year olds avoiding the death penalty, would be pretty hard not to have a lot of young, beautiful folks playing those roles..But rest assured, some of the main characters are just regular folks, some on the not so beautiful side too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Expanse is on Amazon now. SyFy cancelled it after season 3. Bezos liked it so much he had his folks pick it up and make season four--all seasons are available on Amazon streaming service now.

There are currently eight books out--book number 9 (the final one in the story arc) is due out this year some time. This is aside from some short story novelas.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree re the Expanse. Fantastic series. It's on Amazon Prime and the fourth season was released a few months ago. I liked the 100 (it's filmed in Vancouver and I happen to know one of the producers), but haven't watched the last few seasons, and should get back into it.
Quote Reply
Re: THE 100 on CW and Netflix [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Steve, think my wife is a Prime member, so I think we get that station now too. Did not know the Bezos connection, must be nice to have so much money, that you can just buy a newspaper or tv show, just because you like them and don't want them to go away...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
SO I did a search and zilch

Not quite zilch.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious what would everyone’s top 5 sci fix of the last ten years to binge watch?

In no particular order
1) dc universe on cw (Netflix)
2) marvel on Netflix
3) Star Wars cartoons (clone wars / resistance )
4) stranger things
5) fringe
6) dr who

For slightly older things I would put in. Buffy. Angel. X files, battlestar. stargate

For one off seasons that are stellar. I would put in heroes (I liked it all), and misfits (liked it all but seasons 1/2 were great )
Last edited by: patentattorney: Feb 13, 20 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Just curious what would everyone’s top 5 sci fix of the last ten years to binge watch?

In no particular order
1) dc universe on cw (Netflix) Arrow, mebbe
2) marvel on Netflix
3) Star Wars cartoons (clone wars / resistance ) Definitely Clone Wars
4) stranger things
5) fringe Absolutely
6) dr who

For slightly older things I would put in. Buffy. Angel. X files,

For one off seasons that are stellar. I would put in heroes (I liked it all), and misfits (liked it all but seasons 1/2 were great )

Older than 10 years, but Farscape is still worth binge watching. Fortunately, Prime includes access to the 4-hour mini-series finale.

◼︎ We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green. - Chesterton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
S
I loved the hard core sci fi element to the show, didn't veer off into the fantasy genre hardly at all..

Oh dear. If you think this is hard core sci fi I have some work to do with you.

This is lightweight teen high school drama with a patina of sci fi on top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd put Firefox on my list, concluding with Serenity.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: THE 100 on CW and Netflix [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I say hard core Sci Fi, I'm referring to the premises of the stories. I realize that the interpersonal relationships within a story can be varying, but the stories in this series are solid. End of world with space living, AI taking over with implants, all the different living situations on top and underground, Cryogenic travel and sub light speeds, etc.

IT is a series that stays away from the fantasy genre pretty much, no goblins, gouls, or things made up without science as the backdrop(except last season). That season has a little bit, but mostly centers around the human element and the interaction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved the first few seasons. I need to go back and pick up where I left off which is somewhere in season 5 or 6. I'm always in the middle of watching multiple shows and some times shows drop off the short list of what I am currently watching.

Maybe tomorrow mornings trainer ride I an get back into it.

I recently binged the second season of Lost In Space on netflix. Its not too many episodes so its not too hard to get through. Other scifi shows I have liked include Doctor Who, Firefly, Farscape and Eureka.
Quote Reply