Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A-10s in the house [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
If you follow Russian defense announcements its pretty easy to see their game. They announce something with unrealistic specifications, then delay it, then dial back the specifications when they finally deliver the first unit, then advertise mixed specifications, then delay series production... the S-400 is a pretty good example. The 40N6E is quoted at a 400km range and Mach 14 speed but that's on a ballistic trajectory. That's an incredibly... embarassingly... disingenuous way to quote AAM performance. Look at Russia's aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov: it's been in dry dock "for repairs" for over three years now. The only dry dock capable of servicing it sank (it was a floating dry dock). Even when the Kuznetsov was operational it traveled with multiple tug boats because it broke down so frequently. No worries though, according to the Russian MoD two dry-docks from another port will be combined and relocated sometime in "2022" to service the Kuznetsov. I'm sure that timeline will slip. There's really no point in even floating the Kuz tbh. It was a STOBAR carrier. Yes, I'm using past tense.

Heh repairs seem to be going well https://www.wsj.com/...-11576169299?mod=mhp

Quote:
The massive blaze erupted early Thursday aboard the Admiral Kuznetsov as it was undergoing major repairs and quickly spread to much of the 1,001-foot vessel. The fire was the Kuznetsov’s third accident aboard the ship in just over three years.
Quote Reply
Re: A-10s in the house [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B-1s are cool, but kind of on my shit list. Low and slow approaches along I-90 into Ellsworth woke me up while trying to sleep off some college indiscretions more than a few times.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: A-10s in the house [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were being woken up by the sound of FREEEEEDOM WOOOOO!

:)
Quote Reply
Re: A-10s in the house [Kcny01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve said this time and again but Russia is a shadow of its former self. Russia is in the midst of a full-blown demographic crisis which is impossible to reverse. They’re bleeding prime working-age and military-age males. The entire Russian education system is based on an apprenticeship program... which has many advantages... but sucks when the average life expectancy of a male is “officially” 65 (in reality it’s closer to 62). Russia’s knowledge base on things ranging from nuclear physics, to medicine, to things as mundane as welding and rudimentary electrical engineering... is literally dying out.

There’s two sides to this coin.

The good news is that the notion of the Red Army rolling across the NEP into Germany and France, invading Finland/Sweden/Norway... that’s firmly in the past. Russia simply does not have the manpower or industrial output to attempt such a campaign and they know it. However, Russia is an insecure power. They would prefer a shorter, more defensible Western border and a buffer between the Russian core territories and Western Europe. They would also like to have a “subject” population within their economic orbit and to control cities like Kiev for religious regions. In other words, Russia wants the Soviet Union back and they know if they ever want to reestablish it they have a very narrow time window in which to act.

The Kuz is just the most visible failure of Russian military hardware. Most of Russia’s road-mobile launchers are “undergoing maintenance” which is code for out of service (likely permanently). This severely weakened the land-based portion of the Russian nuclear triad. The air portion of their triad might as well not exist. That leaves just the sea-based portion of their triad... generally always seen as the most survivable... but U.S. subs are still better than their Russian counterparts and simple geography means that Russia cannot get a sub into blue water without NATO knowing about it (and tailing it). Subs are also expensive and the (operational) blue water portion of Russia’s fleet is projected to fall by nearly half by 2024. All of this means that NATO, arguably for the first time ever, is very capable of conducting a first strike and *winning* with comparatively little damage and few casualties (not that I’m advocating for such a strike).

Russia knows this and, for historical reasons, they’re paranoid. Hardliners feel they were vindicated when NATO expanded East and now those hardliners are advocating for the development of asymmetrical weapons. That nuclear accident a few months ago? That was one of two cruise missiles under development that are powered by a nuclear fuel source.
Quote Reply
Re: A-10s in the house [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hank rearden wrote:
Yeah, I don't disagree with what you say, I'm just not being verbose enough.

The purpose of the prototype with an existing airframe is to start proofing the Software and Conops. It could be a B-52, P-8, or commercial. It may or may not actually be used operationally. Depends on if it works. 1-2 years?

Clean sheet design: Start with non-LO because it is cheap and you really don't need LO for most of the engagements we have been in. Use existing commercial landing gear, flight software. Unmanned: Lockheed pitched a new U-2 that was "optionally" manned. Use the same idea... You start manned and then gradually let the software take over so that you will eventually be able to make it have super long endurance and you can now send it into more dicey situations if the need is there. If the unmanned performance runs into issues, you still have a fall back option. 2-5 years. # of aircraft: figure it out, but you don't need 100's. It wouldn't be survivable, but if it is unmanned.... The biggest thing is that for the majority of conflicts, you don't need LO for this mission.

LO design: May not need it. Yep, this would have a new OML, but you could roll all your software into this design. If you planned for this, on the first design, you could reap some cost savings.

It really upsets me when you see MANY situations where troops on the ground need air support, but: bad weather, low fuel, no ordinance, no platform, etc, etc. We can solve this problem and it wouldn't be that expensive. Shouldn't this be one of the most important missions? It is essentially where the guys on the ground can dial in a weapon to a point on the ground at anytime.

"Lastly, it’s ordnance. An ordinance is a law; ordnance goes boom." -- ??

Yeah, and I get what you're saying. The thing is...we have plenty of CAS platforms for the permissive/benign threat fight. The issue we have is...CAS in a non-permissive environment. Which is why the USAF originally wanted to retire the A-10....it is becoming increasingly unsurvivable in a conflict with a peer competitor. The same with the AC-130, which may be the ultimate CAS platform, but it is very vulnerable...you may remember the AC-130 that got shot down during Desert Storm by a MANPAD because it stayed over the target area after dawn.

Bad weather doesn't hamper CAS operations with inertially aided munitions (IAMs) like the JDAM, as long as you can get good coordinates from the JTAC. I provided CAS for hours during OIF during the night of the really bad sandstorm with GBU-31s.

On call CAS that is available within minutes of anyone needing it would require many, many platforms, all dependent on the size of the area of operations. We solve that issue today somewhat by having aircraft fly "XCAS" missions, where they take off and orbit near the fight waiting to be needed. Of course, this isn't the most efficient use of resources to have them potentially just orbiting and then heading home, so it's always a balancing act of allocating enough XCAS missions to the need.

Ordinance vs ordnance:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ordinance

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ordnance

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Yeah, and I get what you're saying. The thing is...we have plenty of CAS platforms for the permissive/benign threat fight. The issue we have is...CAS in a non-permissive environment. Which is why the USAF originally wanted to retire the A-10....it is becoming increasingly unsurvivable in a conflict with a peer competitor. The same with the AC-130, which may be the ultimate CAS platform, but it is very vulnerable...you may remember the AC-130 that got shot down during Desert Storm by a MANPAD because it stayed over the target area after dawn.

I think this gets lost on outside observers. The pictures that have circulated of A-10s flying back missing half of a wing or riddled with bullet holes... I think that conveys an unrealistic image of their survivability. Can an A-10 absorb a hit from a MANPAD? With a bit of luck, yes. Could an A-10 absorb a 9M96 or a similar SAM? No. The A-10 has been a fine plane and served well but the sun is setting on it. The airframes are old and the money spent to keep the plane in service would be better allocated elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: A-10s in the house [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.thedrive.com/...it-tried-to-suppress

20 minute video well worth it
Quote Reply
Re: A-10s in the house [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
spot wrote:

I think this gets lost on outside observers. The pictures that have circulated of A-10s flying back missing half of a wing or riddled with bullet holes... I think that conveys an unrealistic image of their survivability. Can an A-10 absorb a hit from a MANPAD? With a bit of luck, yes. Could an A-10 absorb a 9M96 or a similar SAM? No. The A-10 has been a fine plane and served well but the sun is setting on it. The airframes are old and the money spent to keep the plane in service would be better allocated elsewhere.

No other plane could survive those weapon strikes either, so that argument is bogus. The real argument is what aircraft can fulfill the mission the A-10 accomplishes. The answer, none currently available. The A-10 airframes can be replaced, the wings replaced, the electronics upgraded, so the aircraft can continue on mission just as the B-52's have. There are no replacements for either aircraft so they continue to fly as long as their mission exists. And close air support for Army and Marines is a very, very important mission.
Quote Reply
Re: A-10s in the house [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17332/the-usaf-has-finally-released-a-glowing-film-about-the-a-10-it-tried-to-suppress

20 minute video well worth it

Thanks for sharing that.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: A-10s in the house [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
spot wrote:

No other plane could survive those weapon strikes either, so that argument is bogus. The real argument is what aircraft can fulfill the mission the A-10 accomplishes. The answer, none currently available. The A-10 airframes can be replaced, the wings replaced, the electronics upgraded, so the aircraft can continue on mission just as the B-52's have. There are no replacements for either aircraft so they continue to fly as long as their mission exists. And close air support for Army and Marines is a very, very important mission.

It is not bogus at all that the A-10 can't survive on the modern battlefield. That is simply fact. And we're not talking about whether or not an aircraft can take a hit and continue to fly; we're talking about not being engaged in the first place. And bolded, once again, this is just not true. It absolutely depends on the context of what is happening. Everyone wants to define the CAS mission as solely requiring a low flying airplane with a 30mm gun, and that is not true, at all. Now, sometimes it does...I will be the first to agree that there are most definitely cases where the only aircraft that will do is an A-10 with its awesome cannon. Or, sometimes what you need is something else entirely. For example, much of the SOF mission needs an AC-130 and an A-10 just won't do. But AC-130s aren't very survivable, either, which is why they fly only at night. But this notion that every single CAS engagement can only be solved by an A-10, or even a majority of situations, is bogus.

Prev Next