Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone here own a Traeger? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go Rec Tec all day everyday. I have the smallest model which fits 2 pork butts, a 12 lb spatchcocked turkey, or probably about 8 burgers. Which is fine for most days. On those days where I’m doing burgers and chicken for a crowd I have to use the gas grill. Rec Tec has sizes that go all the way up to fitting a whole hog. If I was going to do it again, I’d get a bigger size. Oh, and the wi fi kicks ass. I can watch and adjust the temps from anywhere.
Last edited by: wild hare: Dec 9, 19 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here own a Traeger? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, after an absurd amount of time researching the various offerings out there, I have settled on a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SG. I've compared literally every pellet grill out there and this one seems to take the cake in every department.

- Large temp range
- Easiest clean out for ash, grease, and unused pellets
- Comes with a propane/gas sear box for reverse searing (from what I understand, no pellet grill out there gets hot enough or offers enough exposure to infrared heat to sear well). Also works in a pinch for some quick and dirty weeknight burgers/dogs on direct grilling, without the need to keep a small gas grill handy.
-Wifi controls so you can monitor your cook from anywhere. Perfect for not having to sit around and babysit a smoker all day.

I haven't read a bad review for this unit yet. It seems to check all my boxes. I'd love to get the 36" version, but, it isn't available in Canada yet, so I would have to pay a lot more to get it here (Probably looking at around $2100 all in) vs the 24" model I can order from HD for $1600.

Either way, I'm just super excited to get and start upping my BBQ game!!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just take a quick drive south and buy the 36” version for less than the 24” version you’re looking at!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here own a Traeger? [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might just end up doing that. However, I live on an island, so with ferry cost (roughly $200 round trip) and a tank of gas (~$100) plus whatever I'll have to pay at the border, the price will creep up regardless of how I obtain it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please let us know how it works out. I'm thinking of picking up a smoker this summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I might just end up doing that. However, I live on an island, so with ferry cost (roughly $200 round trip) and a tank of gas (~$100) plus whatever I'll have to pay at the border, the price will creep up regardless of how I obtain it.
Eh fit it into your next trip off the island. One thing I heard from a long-time pit master is to buy one size bigger than you think you need...once you get hooked - and once people get a taste of what's coming off your smoker - you'll want to do bigger cooks. Settling a size down from what you want will cost you more in the end when you frustratingly upgrade in 2-4 years.

That said good luck with the Camp Chef, I'll PM you my address for my consultant fee :) Kidding, but I'm happy you settled on that brand, I reached the same conclusion you did but went cheap for my first smoker. Let us know how things work out once you get the hang of it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next