Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: CFP Rankings [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like how you left off LSU beating both top 10 Auburn and Florida. How convenient for you.
Quote Reply
Re: CFP Rankings [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SinkCrashBonk wrote:
I like how you left off LSU beating both top 10 Auburn and Florida. How convenient for you.

And I left off OSU beating Wisconsin. How inconvenient for you. And will play 3 more top 10 - 20 teams before the season is out. But none of that is the point.

Your homerism made you miss the point. You can't choose your conference schedule. Only your non-conference schedule. No one is playing a tough non-conference schedule. And that makes any bitching about strength of schedule nonsense. The playoff committee needs to start leaving a traditional power out of the playoffs because of it or they won't change how they schedule. And unless they do that, they SHOULDN'T schedule a tough non-conference schedule, there is nothing to gain and everything to lose.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Billabong wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
eye3md wrote:
I get LSU being ranked number one. Truthfully, I would not have had an issue if OSU was still #1.

Clemson is undefeated and still has not defeated a ranked team yet (unless you count them defeating Texas A&M when TAM was ranked)

Should UGA be ranked at #4?

I thought Bama would be #4 but there schedule is crap and their only "good" game was a loss at LSU

Glad to see Minnesota moved up a lot. Quality win against PSU.

Oregon is the PAC-12's only hope right now

The rankings are fine for this week. I would be surprised to see UGA make the final 4 which I expect to be;

LSU
Alabama
Clemson
OSU

I have not watched 4 better teams all year.

Alabama is overrated and can't even win their division

Oh shit, here we go again, :)

And if you have seen OSU and the other top teams play this year and don't think OSU is1 or 2 you should probably stop commenting on college football.

I have OH-IO and the felonious illiterates as 1&2 interchangeably at the moment. Alabama is not good this year and their only legit win will be a middle of the road Auburn team.

I was more referencing Billabong above.

Until we have a traditional power that is a good team left out and explicitly told that it was because Alabama played Western Carolina for instance then there is no reason for any team to schedule tougher teams.

Ohio State in 2017 is a perfect example. I don't necessarily think they were a top 4 team. BUT. They played and lost to Oklahoma. Then they lost one more game, won the Big 10 and were left out of the playoffs in favor of an Alabama team that didn't win their division and didn't have to play in the conference championship game risking another loss.. If they had played Western Carolina instead of Oklahoma they probably are in the playoff.

If they don't do that then it is foolish for any team to schedule a tough non-conference game. And that is a lot of why I think we need to use only conference champions or teams that played in the championship. Because Alabama is set up perfectly again to miss their conference championship game, avoid having to play Georgia, play Western Carolina, and still make the playoffs.

ETA - holy crap - just looked and in 2017 Alabama played Mercer the week before they lost to Auburn. So I don't want to hear strength of schedule arguments.

Please tell me the GREAT Victory this year that entitles the nuts to be number 1. The all time great football powers of Maryland and Northeastern. The play the same same weak schedule that is keeping Minnesota ranked low. Now if they go out and blow out PSU, Michigan and Minnesota then they deserve the ranking, but right now they don't.

Five years ago today there was a Jeopardy question about the only three FBS teams to never play a FCS/IAA team. Notre Dame UCLA and USC. (it popped up in my Facebook Memories today) So everyone else in FBS schedules weak teams. But do notice that the top teams are playing teams like Mercer but shy away from playing teams like North Dakota State or James Madison.

Please tell the the GREAT victory of anyone this year. Did you even look at schedules this year? Or actually watch the teams?

OSU
FAU - 1in their division in Conference USA
Cincinnati - best record in AAC
Miami of Ohio - best record in MAC
best BIG win is Wisconsin ranked 13th by 31, meat of the schedule still to come, closest game 24 points

LSU
Georgia (oops) Southern - second in their division, 3rd in conference in the Sun Belt
Texas - and this is the only close to a top team on anyone's non-conference schedule - 3rd in the Big 12
Utah State = 2nd in division in MWC
Northwestern State - 8th in the Southand, behind Incarnate Word

Alabama
Duke - 6th in their division in the ACC
New Mexico State - last in everywhere - 0-9 independent
Southern MS - 2nd in division in Conference USA
Western Carolina - 8th in the Southern Conference

Clemson
Charlotte - 4th in their division in Conf USA
Wofford - 2 nd in the Southern but at least they are ahead of Western Carolina
Texas A&M - 4th in their division in the SEC

So spare me talk about strength of schedule. OSU's isn't great, but it more than matches up with the others in contention.

I am a Pac-12 guy so I have no real dog in the fight. I am really sorry that you are so Triggered by people not falling down in praise of the Big 10 that you have to make childish comments about not watching game. Just because someone disagrees with you or doesn't post every week does not mean they don't watch/understand what is going on. Now put your bias aside an answer this, Do you really think any Big 10 team other than Ohio State could compete against the top four teams in the SEC or Clemson?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: CFP Rankings [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
8 teams will not eliminate the problem (but it would be an improvement)...instead do what every other level of sport whether college or pro's...why is that HS, NAIA, FCS, D2 and D3 seem to play in a playoff like the NFL and have no issues.

All FBS conference winners and 6 at large - you get a 16 team playoff that would be compelling. There is no other way.

Don’t disagree. That would be great but probably need to reduce the regular season slightly. That seems to be a source of resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: CFP Rankings [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:
8 teams will not eliminate the problem (but it would be an improvement)...instead do what every other level of sport whether college or pro's...why is that HS, NAIA, FCS, D2 and D3 seem to play in a playoff like the NFL and have no issues.

All FBS conference winners and 6 at large - you get a 16 team playoff that would be compelling. There is no other way.

Don’t disagree. That would be great but probably need to reduce the regular season slightly. That seems to be a source of resistance.

I agree with blue that an eight team field doesn't eliminate the problem because people will always have problems, but I agree with you that any team #9 -- within a good ranking methodology -- would have no chance of winning the Championship. And no, not all conference winners deserve to go to the Championship playoff.
Last edited by: SH: Nov 14, 19 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
SinkCrashBonk wrote:

And I left off OSU beating Wisconsin. How inconvenient for you. And will play 3 more top 10 - 20 teams before the season is out. But none of that is the point.

Your homerism made you miss the point. You can't choose your conference schedule. Only your non-conference schedule. No one is playing a tough non-conference schedule. And that makes any bitching about strength of schedule nonsense. The playoff committee needs to start leaving a traditional power out of the playoffs because of it or they won't change how they schedule. And unless they do that, they SHOULDN'T schedule a tough non-conference schedule, there is nothing to gain and everything to lose.

How can you said that just days after OSU scheduled a home and home with UGA................in 2030 and 2031?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
SinkCrashBonk wrote:

no you didn't. It was your closing point on OSU.
j p o wrote:
OSU
best BIG win is Wisconsin ranked 13th by 31, meat of the schedule still to come, closest game 24 points

But the rest of what you said is spot on. I would almost like to see prereq on being considered for BCS championship for power conference teams, 2 non-conference games with a team that has finished top 4 in a power conference in the past 5 years. Of course then you need something to balance it out for the non-power conference teams.

Now back to the rankings. as much as I love my Dawgs we are not a number 4. Embarrassment to SC and a first half no score to UK makes us look unpredictable, not solid. Now ask me again after this weekend and I may be more convinced we deserve the #4 ranking. But right now I feel like we are their as a place holder for Bama to leap back into the playoffs if/when we loss the SEC championship.
Quote Reply
Re: CFP Rankings [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
j p o wrote:
Billabong wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
eye3md wrote:
I get LSU being ranked number one. Truthfully, I would not have had an issue if OSU was still #1.

Clemson is undefeated and still has not defeated a ranked team yet (unless you count them defeating Texas A&M when TAM was ranked)

Should UGA be ranked at #4?

I thought Bama would be #4 but there schedule is crap and their only "good" game was a loss at LSU

Glad to see Minnesota moved up a lot. Quality win against PSU.

Oregon is the PAC-12's only hope right now

The rankings are fine for this week. I would be surprised to see UGA make the final 4 which I expect to be;

LSU
Alabama
Clemson
OSU

I have not watched 4 better teams all year.

Alabama is overrated and can't even win their division

Oh shit, here we go again, :)

And if you have seen OSU and the other top teams play this year and don't think OSU is1 or 2 you should probably stop commenting on college football.

I have OH-IO and the felonious illiterates as 1&2 interchangeably at the moment. Alabama is not good this year and their only legit win will be a middle of the road Auburn team.

I was more referencing Billabong above.

Until we have a traditional power that is a good team left out and explicitly told that it was because Alabama played Western Carolina for instance then there is no reason for any team to schedule tougher teams.

Ohio State in 2017 is a perfect example. I don't necessarily think they were a top 4 team. BUT. They played and lost to Oklahoma. Then they lost one more game, won the Big 10 and were left out of the playoffs in favor of an Alabama team that didn't win their division and didn't have to play in the conference championship game risking another loss.. If they had played Western Carolina instead of Oklahoma they probably are in the playoff.

If they don't do that then it is foolish for any team to schedule a tough non-conference game. And that is a lot of why I think we need to use only conference champions or teams that played in the championship. Because Alabama is set up perfectly again to miss their conference championship game, avoid having to play Georgia, play Western Carolina, and still make the playoffs.

ETA - holy crap - just looked and in 2017 Alabama played Mercer the week before they lost to Auburn. So I don't want to hear strength of schedule arguments.

Please tell me the GREAT Victory this year that entitles the nuts to be number 1. The all time great football powers of Maryland and Northeastern. The play the same same weak schedule that is keeping Minnesota ranked low. Now if they go out and blow out PSU, Michigan and Minnesota then they deserve the ranking, but right now they don't.

Five years ago today there was a Jeopardy question about the only three FBS teams to never play a FCS/IAA team. Notre Dame UCLA and USC. (it popped up in my Facebook Memories today) So everyone else in FBS schedules weak teams. But do notice that the top teams are playing teams like Mercer but shy away from playing teams like North Dakota State or James Madison.

Please tell the the GREAT victory of anyone this year. Did you even look at schedules this year? Or actually watch the teams?

OSU

LSU
Georgia (oops) Southern - second in their division, 3rd in conference in the Sun Belt
Texas - and this is the only close to a top team on anyone's non-conference schedule - 3rd in the Big 12
Utah State = 2nd in division in MWC
Northwestern State - 8th in the Southand, behind Incarnate Word

Alabama
Duke - 6th in their division in the ACC
New Mexico State - last in everywhere - 0-9 independent
Southern MS - 2nd in division in Conference USA
Western Carolina - 8th in the Southern Conference

Clemson
Charlotte - 4th in their division in Conf USA
Wofford - 2 nd in the Southern but at least they are ahead of Western Carolina
Texas A&M - 4th in their division in the SEC

So spare me talk about strength of schedule. OSU's isn't great, but it more than matches up with the others in contention.

I am a Pac-12 guy so I have no real dog in the fight. I am really sorry that you are so Triggered by people not falling down in praise of the Big 10 that you have to make childish comments about not watching game. Just because someone disagrees with you or doesn't post every week does not mean they don't watch/understand what is going on. Now put your bias aside an answer this, Do you really think any Big 10 team other than Ohio State could compete against the top four teams in the SEC or Clemson?

Read the post right above this. Or the post you responded to where I talked about 2017. And then try to find anywhere I am trying to get people to praise the Big 10. I am pointing out the failing of the way selections are being made and that people use strength of schedule when it works for them and ignores it when it doesn't. The SEC cannot make any claims on strength of schedule when they play the non-conference schedule they play. And under the current system they shouldn't play anyone harder. All it does is put you at risk. Again, look at OSU in 2017, they played Oklahoma when they should have played Central Connecticut and gotten in the playoff (and again, I didn't really think they were a top 4 team that year but they would have gotten in if they hadn't played Oklahoma).

Quote Reply
Re: CFP Rankings [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
j p o wrote:
SinkCrashBonk wrote:

How can you said that just days after OSU scheduled a home and home with UGA................in 2030 and 2031?

There has been speculation that there is change coming to the playoffs that have not been announced. And changes to the scheduling are a sign of that. And if there aren't changes then OSU and UGA are being foolish under the current system.

Quote Reply
Re: CFP Rankings [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
j p o wrote:
SinkCrashBonk wrote:

no you didn't. It was your closing point on OSU.
j p o wrote:

OSU

But the rest of what you said is spot on. I would almost like to see prereq on being considered for BCS championship for power conference teams, 2 non-conference games with a team that has finished top 4 in a power conference in the past 5 years. Of course then you need something to balance it out for the non-power conference teams.

Now back to the rankings. as much as I love my Dawgs we are not a number 4. Embarrassment to SC and a first half no score to UK makes us look unpredictable, not solid. Now ask me again after this weekend and I may be more convinced we deserve the #4 ranking. But right now I feel like we are their as a place holder for Bama to leap back into the playoffs if/when we loss the SEC championship.

I should read my own posts. :)

I think UGA is in the position of OSU the last two years. Outside the top 4 and kind of hoping you don't make the playoffs. That way you can bitch about being left out while not being shown to not being that good. :)

I know the playoffs are about TV, but OSU in 2016 and Alabama in 2017 (and looking like Alabama in 2019) getting into the playoffs without having to play the conference championship games really rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Reply

Prev Next