Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Build structure issue? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
schroeder wrote:
I mean, how hard is it to properly build a wall?

I agree, but have you read this thread? lol

Honestly, looking at that picture is a head scratcher. It almost seems like that would be more work then just building it properly.

The only explanation I can think of this:

The wall was built and stood up with whole studs. The studs in question were bowed inwards quite badly.
Framer cut the studs to straighten the bow out, and scabbed it together poorly. (He should have added a whole second stud to the cut one and nailed together properly.

That's really the only thing I can think of based on what the OP has said.

My guess would be some kind of accident/stupid people.
The cut stud lines up exactly with the slice through the sheathing, someone may have used the wall as a cutting surface cutting something else and sliced right through it. They put on the temp shoring until the framer was back on site? ESPECIALLY if a different trade did it after the rough carpentry was done with the job
Quote Reply
Re: Build structure issue? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it. How do you accidentally cut through an entire stud? Most saws cant cut that deep. The ones that do don't do so quickly.

Also, OP said the scab was stapled on. I've never seen anyone other then a carpenter own a pneumatic stapler.

The cut being on the sheathing line, or the middle of the height of the wall, supports my theory as that is where you would cut the stud to straighten out a bad bow.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Build structure issue? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thought of sabotage was a bit bothersome. But I would think that would be sloppy work. The more I look at that wall the more I am inclined to think oops, they forgot to put a window there, they made a cut, checked the plans and realized nope. The cut is too straight and perfect and those 2x4s appear to match. The 2-3 interior ones do not appear to be same pieces of wood top and bottom.

What I do know esp back in PDX is builder's do not want to deal with small homes saying they don't make money off them. Mine is the smallest model by far in the neighborhood, so did they pan out the work to the cheapest bidder who apparently is not skilled enough to put lincoln logs together?

I'll find out this afternoon and have my list of demands.
Quote Reply
Re: Build structure issue? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay here goes. First, that guy has been fired. The builder will never hire him again.

So I show up today to even more cuts, more scabbing and a few boards replaced. Blue marking paint everywhere. Like a Smurf went splat inside the house. I was early and was having a frigging meltdown when the project manager showed up. Bottom line, she, yes she, is very detailed and does not blow off even one item not being level or square or bowed. Two weeks ago she had gone around and marked anything that was not level or was bowed and told them to fix it. Mind you she says some of the other guys will let more of this stuff go but she won't. Spot on as I don't need nail pops out of drywall over a bowed frame

So to correct bowing you can go three ways: replace, sand to level or notch. Most replace. This person notched. She told him to fix the scabs and they just made bigger scabs as seen today! Still not code.

She called his boss and exactly as I would have demanded, that person is not to set foot back in my house.

His boss is to be out to fix everything and there are likely at least twenty total at this point. All exterior walls are 2x6 as well as between garage and house. It appears they had a pretty subpar lot of wood. But it will get taken care of.

Yes it was one of the worst jobs I have seen but I guess the inspectors are pretty thorough here and the builder has some pretty tough standards which is what I was paying for. I am breathing a bit better. Floor joists, trusses are all prefab and passed inspection so should not be an issue. All of this is the base for how well everything else goes in. I said I expect nothing but the best tile folks and things better be level as they already have lined some of the walls where the full tile shower and frameless doors are going. I don't need broken glass or tile or leaks for that matter. I was not able to see what the exterior wall to the shower was as it also had been insulated.

Crazy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next