Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still rocking the Giro Empire SLX I wrote about in 2016 for lightweight, comfort, ease of transition, aerodynamics, stiffness. No plans to change although I do have a pair of customs that I have had but I have been to afraid to try them as my feet grew a half size at the least.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link no bueno... fixed http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...es-aerodynamics.html

Curious, when you cut the tongue out, did you need to do anything to keep the cut area from chafing your foot? Also, do the elastic laces feel like they are flexing during your pedal stroke?

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE the specialized S-works

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I can't recommend the DMT KR1 highly enough from a comfort perspective. I've worn top of the line Sidi, Shimano, Bont and Gaerne and these are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn especially without socks in a triathlon. You will have to put them on in transition but they feel so good to ride in. Note they are very airy so wouldn't be a great winter shoe without an overshoe.

https://www.dmtcycling.com/en/road/dmt-kr1

Why do you have to put them on in transition? Are they not stretchy enough to jam your foot into on the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had Sidi, Shimano and Scott and I think Sidi are the best. They're pricey but considering I've had the Sidis for 10 years and they're still going strong, I think its worth the extra money.
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihawg wrote:

Curious, when you cut the tongue out, did you need to do anything to keep the cut area from chafing your foot? Also, do the elastic laces feel like they are flexing during your pedal stroke?
Inspired by Thomas, I did exactly this - but with a pair of less expensive laced Garneau shoes. Cut the tongue out, put in flat elastic laces. Loving it... very simple and comfortable. I don't have any chafing issues - the tongue was stitched on at the base, so I simply removed it. It did not leave a raw cut edge or anything. I don't notice any sensation that my foot is coming off the shoe while I'm pedaling.
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no way you will get them on in the peddles. They aren't that stretchy and were designed for road not triathlon in mind. Elia Viviani is the pin up boy for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI! Sidi haha....T1, also from 1998, and sidi road shoes( I'm on my second pair)
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:
HI! Sidi haha....T1, also from 1998, and sidi road shoes( I'm on my second pair)

That's the best! Amazing how long they last!!! I am trying a few different pairs now and keep coming back the Sidi T-4 - I guess some habits are hard to break!
John
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihawg wrote:

Thank you for fixing that link. The tongue was cut out because it bunches too much when trying to slip in. I am sure you could figure out a way for that not to happen but for me the simple, but not so elegant solution was just to cut the tongue out. I have laces set up pretty loose and they are a little bit flexy but I have never felt like it was an issue. I have seen enough monster bike splits by pros running a setup to know that it isn't a issue with regards to performance.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your best bet is probably just to get a new pair of Sidi (T4 now?) In the same style (stiffness). My tri shoes are a pair of Sidi T2's from 2011 and since I'm riding my road bike a lot more now, I recently decided to try to find a good pair of road shoes with boa dials to possibly help with sprinting. It has not gone well. So far I've tried Specialized Torch, Shimano RC5, Shimano RC7, and Fizik R3. While the Fiziks may eventually work (they give me much less knee issues than the others), they have all given me knee pain that I've never had before (and goes away when I switch back to Sidi). Currently my theory is the issues likely stem from the different fit (the specialized had a built in varus angle that definitely did not work) along with the increased stiffness of the shoes.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
trihawg wrote:

Thank you for fixing that link. The tongue was cut out because it bunches too much when trying to slip in. I am sure you could figure out a way for that not to happen but for me the simple, but not so elegant solution was just to cut the tongue out. I have laces set up pretty loose and they are a little bit flexy but I have never felt like it was an issue. I have seen enough monster bike splits by pros running a setup to know that it isn't a issue with regards to performance.

I've been running the same setup since not long after that post and I've absolutely loved it. Easy flying mounts and never any issues after I nervously cut out that tongue. Thanks for that long ago tip!

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sidi makes Speedplay specific shoes that cut out a lot of the stack between your foot and the pedal. I have a pair... love them!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bont Zero. Stiffest shoes I have ever worn by a long shot.

Fit wide feet, look the bees-knees, and well made.
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [beatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have high arches and slightly wide feet. Shimano shoes fit me best. I've also found Shimano shoes to be very durable. Currently using new RC-7s on the road and slightly older XC-7s for gravel and singletrack. These are both great shoes and are both priced reasonably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Tri-Vent (the S-Works version from 2013) for triathlon

Specialized Torch 3.0 (2017 version) for the road

Both have the Varus shims installed

Both are running Speedplay Stainless Zeros

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JourneyToGoPro wrote:
Your best bet is probably just to get a new pair of Sidi (T4 now?) In the same style (stiffness). My tri shoes are a pair of Sidi T2's from 2011 and since I'm riding my road bike a lot more now, I recently decided to try to find a good pair of road shoes with boa dials to possibly help with sprinting. It has not gone well. So far I've tried Specialized Torch, Shimano RC5, Shimano RC7, and Fizik R3. While the Fiziks may eventually work (they give me much less knee issues than the others), they have all given me knee pain that I've never had before (and goes away when I switch back to Sidi). Currently my theory is the issues likely stem from the different fit (the specialized had a built in varus angle that definitely did not work) along with the increased stiffness of the shoes.

Thank you. I did go with a the Sidi T-4 but after seven rides I cannot get comfortable. The top strap is riding into my lower leg where it connects with the foot. There is not a tongue with the T-4 - just the strap that makes it uncomfortable with every pedal stroke. I am currently waiting on two other pairs to see if I can eliminate this rubbing from this top strap. I have a Lake and Shimano coming and will try one of these. Bummed but the design just cuts into my foot too much!

Last edited by: johnnybefit: Apr 11, 19 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: What cycling shoes do you wear? [beatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beatle wrote:
Bont Zero. Stiffest shoes I have ever worn by a long shot.

Fit wide feet, look the bees-knees, and well made.

Thank you - will check these out - I think the LBS might have them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next