Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
eb wrote:
justcallmejoe wrote:
j p o wrote:
my wife, "when did Magnum become a twink?"

ETA - Mrs. JPO is not very PC

I'm a bit ignorant, wth is a 'twink'?

I'm ignornt too ... or ignrant ... whatever, so I asked Ms. JPO.

In Mrs. JPO's dictionary it is any man that looks like JPO.

That's not what your mom said.

I deserved that! ;^>
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geezus, that was worse than I imagined.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is something wrong with me because it looks kinda good to me. All except that BS stunt at the end where he jumps from sliding car to the helicopter skid. I liked the actor playing magnum but don't know if I could get used to a small magnum. However, much as I liked the old Higgins, there is something appealing about the new Higgins as well.

Having said that, even though the trailer looks ok to me, I bet it sucks because everything on tv sucks these days.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is something wrong with me...

I agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I showed this to the girlfriend ... she was like, OMG- that’s Jay Hernandez. She reminded me that we went to a baby shower in San Diego and he was there. Mutual friend, somehow.

It’s a long shot- how can you compare to Tom Selleck... maybe the younger audience won’t remember the original. Good for him if the career takes off. He stared along side Kirsten Dunst years back in Crazy a beautiful. Kristen obviously went on her way to stardom.

I was more surprised that Higgins is now a girl. Hmmmm
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magnum was the first time I ever saw/heard about Ironman... It must have sat in my young mind and inspired me to the eventual epic glory of trudging through the rain at IM Wales for 13 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justcallmejoe wrote:
One of my favorite lines from the original "Ivan, did you see the sunrise?" What happened next was not what I was expecting.

Coincidentally, Episode One of the new series is entitled "I Saw the Sun Rise".

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20180823cbs18/

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only made it to two minutes of footage before I couldn't watch anymore. Shooting and blowing up the Ferrari is not something I remember much of in the original series. Maybe they have a bigger budget or computers can do wonders with virtual reality. Either way, count me out as well. He is far too boyish for my tastes.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
justcallmejoe wrote:
One of my favorite lines from the original "Ivan, did you see the sunrise?" What happened next was not what I was expecting.

Coincidentally, Episode One of the new series is entitled "I Saw the Sun Rise".

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20180823cbs18/

i got goosebumps watching this clip. i remember seeing it for the first time.
i loved this show.
i love this show.
haven't watched the new trailer, won't do it.

i think hollywood, or whomever, comes up with new ideas are just lazy food blisters. way too many remakes of classics and nothing good ever comes of them. i cant understand how the next dude/chick that pitches a remake of a classic could ever have some fat cat sitting behind a big mahogany desk agreeing with them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
I think there is something wrong with me because it looks kinda good to me. All except that BS stunt at the end where he jumps from sliding car to the helicopter skid. I liked the actor playing magnum but don't know if I could get used to a small magnum. However, much as I liked the old Higgins, there is something appealing about the new Higgins as well.

The only reason I watched was after I realized that Higgins is played by Perdita Weeks, who is absolutely "appealing". I thought she looked familiar, but I had to look it up to realize she looks a lot like her sister Honeysuckle (uh, names?) Weeks who was in "Foyle's War," which we loved.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So did anyone watch it?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
H- wrote:

The only reason I watched was after I realized that Higgins is played by Perdita Weeks, who is absolutely "appealing". I thought she looked familiar, but I had to look it up to realize she looks a lot like her sister Honeysuckle (uh, names?) Weeks who was in "Foyle's War," which we loved.

I watched it. It wasn't horrible. It was like eating the crust off the loaf of bread that my mom used to set out to make bread crumbs. As bland and boring as possible.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i loved this show.

I will never watch the new Magnum out of protest.

I'd like to watch the entire original series again.

Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

i loved this show.

Original series is available via Starz network.
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
H- wrote:

The only reason I watched was after I realized that Higgins is played by Perdita Weeks, who is absolutely "appealing".

You're a sexist, women hating monster.

Don't you know that you aren't allowed to be attracted to women any more? And you certainly aren't allowed to mention that attraction.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

i loved this show.

A few years ago I did, it was airing episode by episode in order every weekday on one of the local over the air channels. I dvr'ed it would watch it while doing some training for the sport central to one of the minor forums on this site.

It was far better than I had remembered. I was a teenager when it first aired, so it was interesting to see the characters from a different frame of reference.

They did skip one episode that always stood out in my memory- "Home from the Sea"- the one where he treading water in the middle of the ocean and having flashbacks. Not sure why that one stood out in my memory, but it was one of my favorites.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have any of you watched the old Magnum recently? My God was it cheezy!!! I gotta say though that I liked those old short-shorts that he wears. Fat guys couldn't wear them though, so they had to come up with the long baggy shorts we wear now. Yeah I know, you had trouble with the end of you c@ck hanging out. I had that same problem, you just had to deal with it.

Anyway, the new show is down two Ferrari's in just one episode. Anyone want to place the over/under for the season?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you watched the new one? Do they have Ferrari's in it?

EDIT: I'm being too obtuse. Look at your first sentence and the first sentence of jmb's post.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Last edited by: H-: Sep 26, 18 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're sure being to obtuse for me!

Anyway, I watched it last night and liked it better than most of those old episodes with Mr Mustache running around in his speedos.

In this first episode, the first Ferrari barely made it to the first commercial and Robin Masters's original 308 was toast by the end of the show. They still had one more to drive to the funeral at the end but it was black so I don't think that one should count.

How many Ferrari's do you think it will take to get through the first season?!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: No. Just fucking no. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You're sure being to obtuse for me!

Just thought it was odd that when jmb says he watched the entire old Magnum series a few years ago, you asked, "has anyone watched old Magnum recently."

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched the first episode last night. I didn't hate it.

It felt like the original... more so than many remakes of shows. They did make it bigger and more explosive, but the general narrative of Magnum telling a story throughout and way the show is visually shot is still there. Everything felt as if it was true to the original- except for Higgins character. Juliet is much more involved in the action of the story and not just a supporting part of the overall story as Jonathon was. Rick and TC seemed to fit with the original mold. It was interesting to see how familiar supporting characters morphed a bit for example - Det Katmatso (instead of Lt Tanaka) and Capt Buck Green, USN (instead of Col Buck Greene, USMC).

Not sure why the felt the need to destroy not one, but two, Ferraris in the first episode. Not of fan the goatee in his Navy Dress Whites at the end of the episode either. At least Selleck's 'stache worked somewhat with what would be expected of Navy Regs.

Jay Hernandez lacks something compared to Tom Selleck, and felt like he was trying to play Tom Selleck playing Magnum. Not sure he will be as well liked or thought of as Selleck... it is hard to replace an person in an iconic role.

But, all in all, I'll watch the second episode.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next