Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think by and large people on here take themselves to seriously. The gauntlet has been dropped no one else has done anything like it. The door is open for anyone to do a 50/50/50 and do it without a elipitical and without IVs. If someone can actually do it they will be crowned the new 50/50/50 king until then I believe what he did was amazing. The documentary is very interesting I enjoyed watching it.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [Slowlocomotion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [Slowlocomotion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowlocomotion wrote:
I think by and large people on here take themselves to seriously.

"Too"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Slowlocomotion wrote:
I think by and large people on here take themselves to seriously.

"Too"

Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My cousin is a geological engineer, I get him to fill me in on stuff like this. It’ll make more sense when he explains it.

Also, long ago I used to film political hearings for work and they always had the potential to be quite interesting - especially when the politicians felt the need to grandstand, which happened a lot.

So, you know, nice try, but it honestly sounds more interesting than the Iron Cowboy thing.

Also, I’m glad that you’ve never exaggerated for affect.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talk is cheap. Do anything close what he did and you can criticize. If you can’t, just respect what he accomplished.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Talk is cheap. Do anything close what he did and you can criticize. If you can’t, just respect what he accomplished.

Which I guess is your way of agreeing with me regarding the content of Slowlocomotion's post #51, to which I had replied...

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did someone succeed to watch it in Europe?
I can find it in Amazon Prime, but it says "not available at the moment".
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw it on Netflix, actually

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
s13tx wrote:

Which I guess is your way of agreeing with me regarding the content of Slowlocomotion's post #51, to which I had replied...

Exactly! It’s easy to be a keyboard warrior but not easy to go out there and deliver things like he’s done. I think it’s great to see what us as a human can do. It was mind boggling watching this documentary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you aren't allowed to question an accomplishment unless you've "done it yourself"? Is that what your saying?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:

When someone makes a public spectacle of their efforts, they invite criticism as well as praise. You are free to praise the effort while others are free to criticize it. That’s the beauty of life.

This bit about not criticizing unless you can do it...well, that’s just cheap. Maybe you should go tell everyone in the lavender room to stop criticizing politicians until they themselves get elected.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
My cousin is a geological engineer, I get him to fill me in on stuff like this. It’ll make more sense when he explains it.

Also, long ago I used to film political hearings for work and they always had the potential to be quite interesting - especially when the politicians felt the need to grandstand, which happened a lot.

So, you know, nice try, but it honestly sounds more interesting than the Iron Cowboy thing.

Just to be sure, does your cousin fill you in while watching the iron cowboy or the iron cowgirl?
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
drm437 wrote:

Just to be sure, does your cousin fill you in while watching the iron cowboy or the iron cowgirl?

Haha a bit of humour and banter never goes amiss
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think that is indeed what he is saying. I am sure there was a mic drop there, too.

To be fair. I don't think he ever used the word race. He said "In 2015 I completed 50 Ironman Courses, in 50 consecutive days through all 50 States.". He's clearly in a category of very few peers (he's not an ultra athlete, he's not racing for time, and his target audience are not slowtwitch die hards). What he did has less to do with competition, and may have more in common with norseman / fitness models (the idea is cool and inspiring).

The definition of his accomplish is also going to be up to each person's interpretation. He did something insane / inspirational / stupid / unnecessary, and he accomplished it. Sure, he moved the goal post, so he's not a freak of nature. But that's besides the point, might actually make him more relatable, and his target audience don't care.

He's having a thriving career as a motivational speaker now ... got a film made ... so fair game and well done. Too bad he didn't know of Zwift. He could've done more from a sponsorship standpoint there.

P.S: Is this how triathlon started? a few people decided to start doing something stupid (sure there wasn't enough competition for tri when it first started). I can imagine the runners "that's not even a real marathon, that's half assing a marathon"

P.S: Surprised that Ironman didn't sue him for using the word "Ironman". I thought their lawyers were as trigger happy as Specialized's.

P.S. I think IV does send a bad message. but hey, I also believe all our sports are dirty (from MLB, to MMA, to NBA), so does it really do any additional harm?

B_Doughtie wrote:
So you aren't allowed to question an accomplishment unless you've "done it yourself"? Is that what your saying?
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: May 27, 20 4:59
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
What about his whole scam about raising money for the Jaime Oliver foundation? They kept saying g it wasn't about records it was about helping the kids. He lifted the Jaime Oliver graphics and photo off their website and put it into his own on the donation page. When you clicked on the donate button you went to a new page and there was small print about the money going to the iron cowboy foundation. But it turned out that foundation was fictional- it did not exist and the Jaime Oliver foundation had never heard of him.

What was he going g to do if no one noticed any of that? Where was that money going? Where did it go? Since he did not have a 501(c)3 did he pay the taxes he owed on it?

The dude is a total sketchy scam artist.

Jeebus. That is not the half of it. The story going around Utah is he was unemployed and instead of getting another job, he moved his family to a parent's house and put them on government assistance. Meanwhile he ran a charity to help African children and tried to gain fame by racing twenty something Ironmans in a year.

I don't know all the details but this is the part that has always really bothered me. He does tell the story these days in a way that makes him look better than his intention really probably at the time. He was in real estate and went bottoms up financially. During the event he was selling essential oils (you might remember it was all over the campers). And he was taking donations. Whether the intention was to defraud the charity or it was just poorly planned it was not set up correctly. The purpose of this was really to shift his career from real estate to coaching and speaking and hopefully get others to pay for it. That's not a terrible idea or plan - and it worked. At one point he was up front about that but he rarely tells it like that anymore. Do you guys remember that he brought his 5 kids along for the trip?

At the time lots of people who were around him were saying what a nice and generous guy he is. I have a podcast about endurance sports and in 2016 I reached out to him for an interview. He declined unless I made a donation to his "charity." I didn't have the funds to do that so it was off the table for me to pay him. I spent some time researching the payment it and it did not look to me at all like a charity. It looked like he just wanted to get paid. Here's the thing. That's fine. People get paid all the time for interviews. The only issue would be saying it's a charity donation if it isn't. Now - in hindsight a few of the people who were telling me how kind and generous he was have also been accused of some financial and moral shenanigans.

His physical accomplishment is impressive. The logistical achievement even more. That's honestly probably the hardest part. Truthfully nobody has come even close to duplicating it and so props to him where they are due. When you make up your own rules you can I guess change them as you go along so I don't really care too much about it other than in my mind he may have a flexible relationship with truth and honesty.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i finally saw the movie out of absolute c19 boredom, and take back most my negative thinking of him as he was honest about elliptical, iv, and the charity debacle.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron elliptical cowboy, the movie!?!? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not gonna get involved in what the IC accomplished or didnt accomplish during the 50/50/50 as its been discussed extensively. But for those calling some people “keyboard warriors” or saying to “go do something like he did” below is a link for actual ultra triathlon races that are held in the USA. Including the triple deca ironman (30 IMs in 30 days on the same course) taking place in November.

http://decamanusa.com/

These are actual races, with real rules that actually test for doping. No drafting, no ellipticals, no IVs, no treadmills and no bike trainers allowed.

And below is the link for the international governing body. International Ultra triathlon association.

https://www.iutasport.com/

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply

Prev Next