Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon
Quote | Reply
He was no slouch, having broken three hours just two weeks before.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, that is terrible.Do we know how fast he was running at that point. I wonder if the sub 3 2 weeks ago had any connection to trying to go again soon after and if there was any residual damage to the cardio vascular system that needed more healing. He won't be the first nor last to dive into a second event ignoring stuff not working perfectly from the first one (if that was even the case).
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Oh wow, that is terrible.Do we know how fast he was running at that point. I wonder if the sub 3 2 weeks ago had any connection to trying to go again soon after and if there was any residual damage to the cardio vascular system that needed more healing. He won't be the first nor last to dive into a second event ignoring stuff not working perfectly from the first one (if that was even the case).

No splits available on the London Marathon website for him.

Very warm, but they provided lots of water. Wonder why that might be an issue...

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article says it was 75 degrees F (24C), which is not very hot at all

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
The article says it was 75 degrees F (24C), which is not very hot at all
I had friends running the race and they mentioned it being 77 degrees F so similar and indeed, not very hot at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was unusually warm In UK last week.

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hot for the UK, and we've just had pretty much 5-6 consistent months for it being at least 10*celsius less.
Last edited by: messien: Apr 23, 18 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Very warm, but they provided lots of water. Wonder why that might be an issue...

Are you inferring hyponatremia?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
klehner wrote:

Are you inferring hyponatremia?

Unusually warm for the location and for a marathon, and they have lots of water for the runners. So, yeah.

Of course, nobody knows right now.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There could be a lot of things going on here. I imagine that sub 3 hour effort was an all out one, so he would have still had all those heart attack markers still roaming around in his blood, and certainly not fully recovered from that effort.

And 77 degrees is hot for a lot of people, it is for me. It is not for those that thrive in 90 degree weather, but I thrive when it is 50, so that would have been really hot for me. And if he was going for it again, well he was just stacking on top of the pseudo heart attack he had just had two weeks earlier.

And lastly there is the celebrity element of this whole thing and the possible ego involved. I just wish in all these types of deaths that there would be an automatic drug test. I know the families don't care, or really want to know. But like with all the young cyclists deaths making a comeback, I think it would be in the pubic's interest to have this out there as a deterrent to others not to play around with this stuff..So we are just left to wonder if it was just the obvious circumstances that killed him, and not something else that could have been involved.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
...But like with all the young cyclists deaths making a comeback...

link or reference?

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Last edited by: maukiwauw: Apr 23, 18 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ILONDON694#history/s20180101/e20180423/mcustom

This was the warmest weekend, so yup, people are not yet acclimatized.

Of course, there is a huge amount of variation between "not warm at all" for some people vs. others. Even if 74 sounds fine, it will be a shock to anyone if you are doing a marathon in in while all of your training was 10+ degrees cooler.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [maukiwauw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link or reference? ///

Go to Neahle's #3 post, he has a few of the recent cycling deaths, and of course there is the one the OP is about. There are more too, I hear all the time, but they just don't make much news unless they are known or it happens in a spectacular way..

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ring=nealhe#p6604616
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad.

His justgiving fund now just over ÂŁ60k and seems he was running for charity for his late father.

https://www.justgiving.com/...pbell-LondonMarathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really sad. Masterchef Professionals is one of the few programs I watch, and Matt Campbell was a standout contestant in the last series. Extremely innovative, in one round he blew away professional food critics with a miso soufflé and kefir ice cream that looked like a minimalist sculpture in white. In another, he likely brought most viewers close to tears with the nature inspired homage to his father that he cooked, including ingredients such as edible moss. That he was kicked out before the final seemed a terrible misjudgement in the series. Regarding Monty's insinuation, I'm not buying it in this case; indeed I find it inappropriate. Campbell was not a celebrity chef, but a professional chef who competed in a demanding cooking competition. In the series he was visibly not driven by ego, but entered with a goal of proving that healthy and ethical cooking could be merged with haute cuisine.
Last edited by: duncan: Apr 23, 18 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
This is really sad. Masterchef Professionals is one of the few programs I watch, and Matt Campbell was a standout contestant in the last series. Extremely innovative, in one round he blew away professional food critics with a miso soufflé and kefir ice cream that looked like a minimalist sculpture in white. In another, he likely brought most viewers close to tears with the nature inspired homage to his father that he cooked, including ingredients such as edible moss. That he was kicked out before the final seemed a terrible misjudgement in the series. Regarding Monty's insinuation, I'm not buying it in this case; indeed I find it inappropriate. Campbell was not a celebrity chef, but a professional chef who competed in a demanding cooking competition. In the series he was visibly not driven by ego, but entered with a goal of proving that healthy and ethical cooking could be merged with haute cuisine.

What is ethical cooking?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrity chef collapses and dies at London Marathon [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ILONDON694#history/s20180101/e20180423/mcustom

This was the warmest weekend, so yup, people are not yet acclimatized.

Nailed it.
Quote Reply