Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eric Clapton, I never knew...
Quote | Reply
I just watched a documentary on this guys life and man I was surprised. I guess right at the time I was forming my music associations and bands, he was holed up somewhere for about 4 years doing heroin. I knew him from the Yardbirds and Blind Faith, but when he went to Cream, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce were more known to me than Clapton. I guess in the music world of performers, he was regarded quite highly, but he was just kind of quiet guy.

And I had thought he was in that hotel room where his kid climbed out the 52nd window and died at 4 years old. But no, it was his wife at the time, he was out. And I remember that song of his coming out about the incident, but had no idea that was the turning point in his life, success, and eventually becoming the family man he always wanted to be.

Kind of shitty what he did with George Harrison's wife though, he certainly broke the bro code there.. I should have known his story, but really I didn't. Dude had a hard life, should be with Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison really. Amazing what abuse the human body can take and survive sometimes, it looked like he was drinking Keith Richards under the table in the day!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Clapton, I never knew... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the guy that performed the shittiest song ever 'Cocaine' was an addict? Wow, who knew? Apparently not you. I can't stand Clapton, overrated trash.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Clapton, I never knew... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clapton has funded some huge detox resort in the Caribbean. He had a major fundraiser which I listened to, finished the concert with Cocaine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thought this was going to be about this:

http://samuel-warde.com/...laptons-racist-rant/
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Clapton, I never knew... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the song was fine until Clapton covered it and After Midnight ,thank you JJ Cale
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Clapton, I never knew... [ruby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its in Antigua for rich white folk to kick the habit(s)
it does nothing for the island people.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Clapton, I never knew... [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya they went over that rant in the documentary, he has no idea where it came from. He was of course so drunk during those days, he sometimes could not finish playing. He said half of his friends were black, and the music he loved so much was from the black artists who played the blues. He and BB King were great friends, and other black blues guys were very thankful for him bringing their music to the masses. They attributed their rise out of obscurity to Clapton, people would listen to a white guy playing that kind of music.

Like I said, it was a couple hours and almost all of it I really did not know about the guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Clapton, I never knew... [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Highest Quality of Care that is Affordable
At Crossroads Centre Antigua we will work with you to make treatment as affordable as possible. We are also able to assist clients with insurance filing if this option is available. We ensure all records remain confidential.

In the documentary it appeared he set up an affordable clinic, I got this from the website. I have no idea what it costs, it doesn't say, do you know?? And not sure about locals, but there are testimonials from what appear to be locals, maybe there are some scholarships to island folks? Like I say, I dont really know, but you seem to have a strong opinion, do you know what it costs, do locals get a different rate, scholarships, etc??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was never his biggest fan but I'm glad he came through the tough times to give us some great music including this performance of "My Guitar Gently Weeps" at the Concert for George.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrTMc2i6Lzc

His guitar work at the 3:40 mark is masterful. His voice sounded pretty good too. Just a great piece of concert footage all around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I just watched a documentary on this guys life and man I was surprised. I guess right at the time I was forming my music associations and bands, he was holed up somewhere for about 4 years doing heroin. I knew him from the Yardbirds and Blind Faith, but when he went to Cream, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce were more known to me than Clapton. I guess in the music world of performers, he was regarded quite highly, but he was just kind of quiet guy.

And I had thought he was in that hotel room where his kid climbed out the 52nd window and died at 4 years old. But no, it was his wife at the time, he was out. And I remember that song of his coming out about the incident, but had no idea that was the turning point in his life, success, and eventually becoming the family man he always wanted to be.

Kind of shitty what he did with George Harrison's wife though, he certainly broke the bro code there.. I should have known his story, but really I didn't. Dude had a hard life, should be with Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison really. Amazing what abuse the human body can take and survive sometimes, it looked like he was drinking Keith Richards under the table in the day!!!

the george harrison thing was hard to take. i was a big george fan. but as i recall it didn't break their friendship. at least clapton went to george and had a talk with him about it. i get the sense that with george the topic of women was complicated. i don't think he was a model husband.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Clapton, I never knew... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, sorry I'm blocked at work. Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrTMc2i6Lzc&sns=em

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but when he went to Cream, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce were more known to me than Clapton.

I watched a documentary about Ginger Baker on Netflix, Beware of Mr. Baker. Fascinating. Quite a character. If I recall he punched the guy who interviewed him.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Clapton, I never knew... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another reason I need to get Netflix I guess, I seem to be missing a lot of good stuff over there..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Another reason I need to get Netflix I guess, I seem to be missing a lot of good stuff over there..

Not to get you derailed, but if you like documentaries, there are a ton of them on Netflix.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply