Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts...
Quote | Reply
According to CBS News, the sponsor of a ballot proposal to split California into three parts has garnered over 600,000 signatures, which is more than enough to place the proposal on the 2018 ballot. I don't see this having a snowball's chance in hell of passing, but it's entertaining nonetheless:

"If the proposal passes, the Bay Area, along with counties north of Merced, would be considered as Northern California. Along the coast, from Monterey to Los Angeles, would be California and the counties to the east would be Southern California.

The population of each new state would range from 13.9 million people in Southern California, 13.3 million in Northern California and 12.3 million in California. The three new states would still be among the top ten most populous in the country.

"This would make sure everyone has a government that is responsive and responsible," Draper said.

But the devil is in the details, and there are a lot of details.

Joe Rodota is the founder of Forward Observer. He's a longtime California political consultant who says this is all a "waste of time."

"There area a lot of good ideas that come out of Silicon Valley and this isn't one of them," Rodota said."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
According to CBS News, the sponsor of a ballot proposal to split California into three parts has garnered over 600,000 signatures, which is more than enough to place the proposal on the 2018 ballot. I don't see this having a snowball's chance in hell of passing, but it's entertaining nonetheless:

"If the proposal passes, the Bay Area, along with counties north of Merced, would be considered as Northern California. Along the coast, from Monterey to Los Angeles, would be California and the counties to the east would be Southern California.

The population of each new state would range from 13.9 million people in Southern California, 13.3 million in Northern California and 12.3 million in California. The three new states would still be among the top ten most populous in the country.

"This would make sure everyone has a government that is responsive and responsible," Draper said.

But the devil is in the details, and there are a lot of details.

Joe Rodota is the founder of Forward Observer. He's a longtime California political consultant who says this is all a "waste of time."

"There area a lot of good ideas that come out of Silicon Valley and this isn't one of them," Rodota said."

Since this is California and it's a bad idea does that mean it will pass?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former CA resident I think it would be awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In true leftist identity politics fashion, California should be split up in to around 20,000 states so every group that currently feels somehow under-priviledged could find a home in which their interests feels are properly represented.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
In true leftist identity politics fashion, California should be split up in to around 20,000 states so every group that currently feels somehow under-priviledged could find a home in which their interests feels are properly represented.

Whatever happened to just "live and let live," and "I'll leave you alone if you leave me alone?" The disappearance of that mindset and way of behaving is not just isolated to California, I'd say.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do wonder, California does seem to have distinct regions with fairly distinct economies, demographics, political leanings. It's somewhat unique in that most states have a major city (or cities) with different economic and political climates than the more rural areas but in California it's entire regions that are fairly divergent, does it make sense to break them up?

If that happened you'd then see 6 senators from 'California', so better Congressional representation. Why is this a bad idea?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
I do wonder, California does seem to have distinct regions with fairly distinct economies, demographics, political leanings. It's somewhat unique in that most states have a major city (or cities) with different economic and political climates than the more rural areas but in California it's entire regions that are fairly divergent, does it make sense to break them up?

If that happened you'd then see 6 senators from 'California', so better Congressional representation. Why is this a bad idea?

Because there'd likely be the chance they all wouldn't be voting in lockstep, as they do now?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:

Because there'd likely be the chance they all wouldn't be voting in lockstep, as they do now?
And that's a good thing, right? I mean if I'm outside the Bay area and away from the coast don't I WANT representation that is different from them? A good chunk of the state is very different, politically, than what they have representing them in Congress, I'd think those folks would want this split.

Now the coastal elites are more than happy with their representation and thye make up the largest voting bloc but still, I'd think for a lot of the state they'd welcome this change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so you know. Texas has the right to split into 5 states. It was a condition of our treaty (we were an independent country) to join the U.S.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would mean 8 more senators and I doubt that they would all be GOP or DNC.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Just so you know. Texas has the right to split into 5 states. It was a condition of our treaty (we were an independent country) to join the U.S.

Another reason why I love Texas. :-) The spousal unit and I are considering eventual permanent retirement/relocation states (forget about Michigan... too damn cold). We're down to Arizona (can be too damn hot, I admit), Texas and Hawaii. All three have large military bases scattered about (meaning, military treatment facilities that have space available appointments for retirees (at least currently), commissaries and exchanges and such), and the kind of weather friendly to older (non-cranky) folks. But one of these three is not like the other two, of course. LOL!

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. Iowa and Texas were added at the same time. Texas gave up territory that later became 5 different states (New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Oklahoma and Kansas). Even then, Texas was still 5 times the size of Iowa and wanted the same number of senators based on size.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Apr 15, 18 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their attempt to solve all California's problem pushed the same problems into each new state, in my opinion.

The Central Coasters won't want to be ruled by Los Angeles (if Duffy were here, I think he'd agree).

The rural Northern Californians won't want to be ruled by San Francisco (will this state go by Libtardistan?)

And the rural Central Valley and Sierra mountain men won't want to be ruled by San DIego.

Edit: Also anything called "Southern California" that doesn't include Los Angeles is absurd. From a purely branding/tourism/marketing standpoint Los Angeles won't vote for that. Los Angeles makes billions from the world-famous "Southern California" brand.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 15, 18 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid that drawing those particular lines would just send 6 democratic/independent senators to Washington. If you actually wanted a Republican to represent, you would have to draw some screwy lines down the middle, and have a lot of rural areas combined on the east side of the state. But then you would have a state with a million or two only, and a left north and left south that would be most of the population...

Nothing but a big waster of money and time, but seems a lot of people have too much of both these days. No doubt a lot of the support comes from out of state too, like the Russians with our country, a lot of outside forces like to see us fighting each other here in CA. Its not working by the way, we continue to fight the good fights, until the rest of the country can join us once again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't see the citizens of the self proclaimed "State of Jefferson" in North Cal being cool with the idea of getting lumped in with San Fran. In fact from what I hear from yet another Kommifornian who recently moved to my state to get away from those bay area whackos, the other people near the bay area are not big fans of San Fran either. She was from Sacramento and got out because of the influence of San Fran.

Best solution for Cali and even Oregon and Washington would be to say everything within 100 miles of the coast is one state and the rest of the state is it's own thing. That would make all sorts of people happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

My understanding is Texas is the only state that has that de facto "right" to split. Any other state would need permission from Congress to enter the union as a new state. Technically, the new Texas states would have to go through that process but could not be prevented from splitting and being admitted. A California split, on the other hand, could effectively be blocked by Congress.

Also, one of those new Texas states would be required to be Texas.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

I don't see the citizens of the self proclaimed "State of Jefferson" in North Cal being cool with the idea of getting lumped in with San Fran. In fact from what I hear from yet another Kommifornian who recently moved to my state to get away from those bay area whackos, the other people near the bay area are not big fans of San Fran either. She was from Sacramento and got out because of the influence of San Fran.

Best solution for Cali and even Oregon and Washington would be to say everything within 100 miles of the coast is one state and the rest of the state is it's own thing. That would make all sorts of people happy.

That'd be like adding another ID & UT to the Electoral College... the cows are already over-represented relative to the coastal metropolises; this would only exacerbate that. I get that the eastside ranchers & such are tired of being the fleas on SF/LA's arse, but it'd make more sense to dissolve/annex them into NV instead.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree. The beauty of our political arrangement is that it protects the minorities (in this case flyover states) from the Tyranny of the Majority.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 California Ballot Proposal to Split State into Three Parts... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I disagree. The beauty of our political arrangement is that it protects the minorities (in this case flyover states) from the Tyranny of the Majority.

Madison was worried about what he called "factions" who'd band together to thwart the will of the majority of the "several states," which is why we have the set-up we have today; an Electoral College and the Congress divided between the House -- where the "people" (meaning the population and their popular vote) reign -- and the Senate, where each state, no matter its population, has two senators. I liked it even more when each state's legislature chose its senatorial representation rather than senators being chosen by popular vote, but I don't think there's a hope in hell of getting the 17th Amendment repealed.

It's also why the Electoral College vote total -- based on electors from each of the states, with the popular vote winner of that state getting those electors -- is what counts when it comes to electing a president, NOT the popular vote. (Maine and Nebraska are exceptions because they apportion electors by congressional district won.)

But try getting those crybabies in Cali and NY to understand the above. "NAH, NAH, NAH!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! ;-)

Quote Reply