Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the tool used to turn the spoke nipples.

Just got a call from my LBS and the guy thinks its a special tool and doesn't have one.

Any options?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect you most probably found the solution (it would have been a good idea to share your experience ;)). You need the Park Tool SW16 or any similar tool. What they use looks like DT Swiss double quad spoke nipples (3.2mm). Not so common obviously but not so special either. My wheel has 14 spokes on the drive side which have black nipples and 7 spokes on the non drive side which have silver nipples, relatively clever designed and must be some kind of powerway hub as novatec does not make G3 hubs IIRC. I think it is most probably the R13 at least on the current RON (not aeron) wheel. I have another wheelset with powerway R36 which has a kind of different axle (most probably due to weight saving aspects). What I wonder if changing the spoke tension after the discs have been glued on is such a good idea cause it obviously changes the distance between the hub and the rim and so it will probably bring a lot of tension on the carbon disc (which is rigid) - but most probably will be doable within limits. I would not try changing the dishing by 2mm though and rather put a shim in. My wheel is slightly (1mm) out of true on one point and I will try to fix it. Will post kind of a review as soon as I have been able to test everything. Still think it is an ineresting option in contrast to bying a cheap or used full carbon disc, which are mostly even heavier.
Quote Reply
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyrunride .. funnily I have a Specialized Transition (Elite) too. Most probably you don't need my information anymore- but, for everyone else, generally the wheel HAS JUST enough clearance but it is VERY VERY tight. The RON wheel is bold on the non drive side (like any spoked wheel) and has just about 2mm clearance on the tightest point. It was rubbing on my speed sensor's cable tie, when those met with the little wobble. I intend to ride it anyway with a little 2mm shim on the non drive side and after truing it meticoulously it will have enough clearance I suspect. BTW the dishing of my wheel seems to be fine. I think they changed some aspects over time, e.g. another buyer said on another forum that the spokes will snap cause there are just 8 on the drive side (so I assume at least they changed that). I hope it does not flex so much but I doubt that, I think it will most likely be very stiff due to the way it has been made. Will report later on that.
Last edited by: zacha81: Feb 19, 18 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [zacha81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd chime in since I own one as well.

As background I've owned one of their earlier generation wheels from 2012 which was their very first wheel I believe. This was a 32 spoke wheel with a permanent cover which was very narrow- 17mm at widest. As expected, this wheel was heavy as heck but rather solid and dependable. The only Con was that it was constructed such that it could not be trued without disassembling the cover. This needs to be done by RON. They are best contacted through facebook, if you want to know.

Fast forward to earlier this year and I sent the wheel for truing and conversion to 11 speed back to RON. the wheel was stuck for 4 months at polish customs (another nightmare story) but RON were professional and helpful. Eventually, the wheel did not get through customs and was returned to me, but RON sent me a brand new 2017 aeron wheel for my trouble- thats A+ customer service from them!

So abit about the new wheel- the 2017 wheels are 19mm wide and sort of lenticular- flat on the drive side but convex on the nds. I believe for 2018 they've gone to 25mm wide (see their website).

First thoughts: the build quality isn't out of this world- its not horrible, and I would say it's acceptable at this price point. They gave me a free wheel, so I'm not particularly complaning. There are some rough edges where the finishing could be better and the area around the valve hole needs some work but by no means is it unrideable, and it certainly looks nice. The wheel itself is a spoked wheel with a foam core.

As expected, there are some corners cut at this price point- the rim tape is cheap (but is not unservicable) - easily remedied anyway. The skewer is a normal, ordinary skewer. The hub is a powerway hub with pillar spokes which are perfectly fine just not brand names.

The black brake track is an anodised coating, so don't expect it to last too long, unless you baby it, but for a race only wheel this isn't a major problem.

The only real concern I have is for long term durability. Taking off the rim tape, the spoke pattern chosen for the underlying wheel looks to be a 21 spoke wheel with a g3 style triplet lacing with the spokes grouped in 3s. They'ved also used a 28h rim with spoke holes skipped. Theres nothing inherently wrong with this build, if you know what you're doing, but those familiar with campy G3 lacing will know that campy actually manufactures their rims off-round so that under tension, the rim becomes round. Doing G3 with a normal rim is hard and getting the best results for round is not easy with a normal rim. I dont have a truing stand handy, so I cant check roundness values, but my guess would be trueness may be a concern here.

All in all, a decent wheel if you can't stomach something more expensive. Certainly satisfied with it.
Quote Reply
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any experience with the 2018 Aeron Disc Wheel? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [ocsurf57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2018 Aeron Disc just recently in their ebay sale. For me it was the cheapest option (449 Eur) as I’m still on campy 10-spd.
I’m using it in my budget Tri-bike (KTM Solus- kind of a P3 rip-off). Wheel came perfectly true and looks solid and nicely build. Just tried with a gp 4000 23 and it has enough space...will post first ride impressions when winter is over...
Quote Reply
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [Leanmeanmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leanmeanmachine wrote:
I bought a 2018 Aeron Disc just recently in their ebay sale. For me it was the cheapest option (449 Eur) as I’m still on campy 10-spd.
I’m using it in my budget Tri-bike (KTM Solus- kind of a P3 rip-off). Wheel came perfectly true and looks solid and nicely build. Just tried with a gp 4000 23 and it has enough space...will post first ride impressions when winter is over...

Leanmeanmachine: Any more updates on the 2018 Ron Disc now that winter is over?

Thanks!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just had yesterday my first test ride with the Ron Disc. Feels pretty stiff (compared with my 5 year old Cosmic Carbone SL) - I had to adjust the Brake to fit the wheel in which is a hassle if I want to switch regularly between the Mavic and the disc. The wheel spins true and also the sound is pretty motivating - the resistance from bearings and the freewheel is okI found that my valve stem on my latex tube is to long to get the wheel inflated with the crack-pipe which came with the wheel. Also I have some trouble with adjusting the rear derailleur to the campy 10-spd pro light cassette - but I can’t blame Ron for this.
So all in all I’m totally happy with the purchase (449 € snap!) - wheel will be race tested in two weeks at Kraichgau 70.3!
Quote Reply
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [Leanmeanmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here: Did my first test ride yesterday after having the disc run through a quick test at my local wheel builder (German Lightness). It is absolutely true, so no issues there. It rides fine, didn't here any whoosh-whoosh sounds but the bunch-of-angry-bees-freehub-sound is absolutely there. No after sales communications but shipping was exactly as advertised.

So far the only "gripe" I am having is that I have to completely overhaul my flat kit strategy with a 80mm front and a disc - loads of fiddling around with valve extensions. Oh and it was pretty hard to get Conti 5000's on the disc and the little crack pipe adapter is crap - just throw it away and get a descent one.
Quote Reply
Re: RON Components Disc Wheel [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is braking on this wheel?
Quote Reply

Prev Next