Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sunscreen
Quote | Reply
I am a pasty caucasian that looks like a freaking lobster right now. The NW finally got summer and I burnt the crap out of my arms, neck, calves this weekend. Yes, the bike burn... Anyone has any good sunscreen recommendations. The stuff I have used in the past is just sticky and messy so I tend not to use it. Please, let me know what work for you.

In peace,
CQ

Quote | Reply
Have heard good things about Kinesys.

That being said. I go with long sleeves and just hit my face and neck and I'm off.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [CaptainQuiche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be able to go several hours without sunscreen and not burn. Yesterday I was out in it for less than two and I'm a bit of a lobster today. Of course it was also the first truly sunny day since almost the first of the year, and I've spent the last two months house-bound...

But when I do wear sunscreen, I like to use 8 or less (No Ad usually), since if I'm going to burn, I might as well not be out in it anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Last edited by: brider: May 18, 08 19:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the feel of your sunscreen is keeping you from using it, check out the Neutrogena UltraSheer line. You can get it up to 55 SPF, and there really is a noticeable difference- no greasy feel. Downside? Very pricey... That said there are 3 tubes in my home right now, because it gets used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get something like bluelizard which is a sunblock, Ti dioxide and zinc oxide in it. I have some but when I sweat according to my riding partner I look like a living cadaver (thanks 115intheshade). http://www.trisports.com/...izard-sunscreen.html
or you can get sunscreen like coppertone which has a combo of chemicals that absorb the sun.

Whatever you do get UVA and UVB broadspectrum protection, something water and or sweatproof and a high spf. (fwiw I use spf 45 or 50 depending upon which tube I grab but I also live in Tucson and we were #1 in skin cancer in the US at one time) Claim to fame We're #1 at killing you!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I freaking love Bullfrog.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just switched to this stuff and I'm loving it: Hawaiian Island Creations 2X Sunblock, SPF 50 Lotion. It doesn't run into my eyes and doesn't sting and after a 4 1/2 hour ride in 100+ degree heat (in Palm Desert, CA) this Saturday no sign of sun on my pale skin.
Last edited by: sailnfast: May 18, 08 20:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always stick to Coppertone sport. Never had any issues. Love that coconut smell.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Banana Boat SPF 50. Slather it on liberally and you should be good. I'm not shy to paint myself paper white with any sunscreen. That being said, Coppertone didn't work for me.

-- Boris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my fourth skin cancer surgery in three years a few weeks ago. Trust me, you don't want to go there.

My dermatologist and I are both avid outdoor athletes and we both Ski in the winter at altitude as well.

He is an advocate of the Kinesis spray (30) and the neutrogena Sheer. I comes up to SPF 85.

USE IT.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
neutrogena dry touch 45 or 55.

kinseys never stayed on me, but neutrogena does.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are suggestions for sunscreens that work for races ie don't wash off during swim...
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [surfnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#1 choice by professionals...unless you want cancer from the sunscreen instead of sun.

http://www.uvnaturalusa.com/site/main.asp?pageid=2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read all the replies but, no matter you put on it will washout and you'll get sunburn one time or another. My best advice is to get a safe gradual tan before fully exposing your pale skin to sun. This will prevent painfull sun burns and if you go to a tanning salon you can get a safer tan.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is a toughie. but if you put on neutrogena WAY before you get in the water (ie, as soon as you get out of bed) then you should have it deep in your skin before the swim. that really helps.

look for sunscreen with one or more of these three ingredients: The only three ingredients approved by the FDA that can protect skin from UVA damage are avobenzone, titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide.*

Avobenzone can also be called Parsol.

anyway, i think the bullfrog superblock is pretty strong and sturdy (bullfrog irritates me, so i cannot use it, but i do think it is pretty solid in terms of waterproof). http://www.bullfrogsunblock.com/super.html

here is super neutrogena dry touch that has worked well for me...there are other SPF's, but it is in my experience the higher the SPF the sturdier the cream and more likely it is to stay on (i'm a "heavy" sweater). http://www.neutrogena.com/...sp?lProductLineID=15

so i think the key is a really good formula cream pr gel (not spray on, given it slides off the skin easily) and put it on first thing in the morning so it has time to penetrate the skin.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [aequitates] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for listing that. i see the zinc oxide is very high percentage, with other natural ingredients; i look forward to trying it!

do you use this yourself, and if so can you provide a review?
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [kenwil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get a pack of 2 tubes for $13.00 at Costco (and it includes a lip moisturizer). I just got a pack today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Banana boat surf stays on really well, as does their sport 50.
I did find, at IMAZ last year, that not having the volunteers reapply after the bike was an error. At Kona, I got the reapplication and had no major problems.

The Neutrogena mentioned above was the number one rated by consumer reports. I just don't know how well it stays on with prolonged water or sweat.

A number of folks here swear by the Kinesys, as do, I am told, the surfers. I want to give this one a try.

Lancombe (I think) has a new ingredient that is supposed to be better for UVA than others, but I don't know how well it stays on in the water and with heavy sweating.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UVnatural is extremely resilient and one dab covers a pretty good area. It took months of polling dermos and serious health conscious ahtletes to find it. I wish I could take back all the years of using crap sunblock like bullfrog and banana boat.
Last edited by: aequitates: May 18, 08 22:11
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [aequitates] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems a lot of the brands the other recommended are on the worst list
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/
Last edited by: aequitates: May 18, 08 22:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KINeSYS is the way to go for sure. sprays on for easy application when you're solo, and doesn't contain any alcohol or other crap -i love it. they also make a version with Ti and one that smells like lavender for the ladies.
check out their website for more info. www.kinesys.com
use code: fechrissy when ordering.....

http://www.fechrissy.blogspot.com
Trisports.com CPARK - S for 10% off
nuun
Splish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two of the ones we carry...particularly Headhunter and Vertra are excellent!
Sunscreens we carry

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the best sunscreens I've tried lately are by Neutrogena and Banana Boat that contain an ingredient called Helioplex (for Neutrogena) or Aviotriplex (for Banana Boat). They are said to be much better than previous sunscreens because they protect against both UV A and UV B rays and last much longer. Apparently these ingredients bond to your skin much better and don't wash off as easily, making them ideal for triathletes and endurance athletes. I've had good luck with both, and I think they come in SPF 30 and 45.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying" -Shawshank Redemption
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Headhunter sunscreen. It kept me from frying in the intense sun while surfing Costa Rica.

Last edited by: thetodd: May 19, 08 3:30
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [thetodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neutrogena 85 the only way to go, tried Kinesys did not work for me, spent a lot for the Kinesys spray and stick applicator but failed on my first run.

My wife and I are putting our Dermatoligists kids through college, so trust our opinion, numerous operations and procedures from heavy sun exposure when we were kids.

Ron W.
Quote Reply

Prev Next