Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Screw Brightroom Photography!
Quote | Reply
I swear they have something against me.
1) Du Nats=shit photos! Terrible photog positioning!
2) Muncie Endurathon...I got a whopping 5 photos, 4 of me ready to dismount the bike and 1 from what seems like 300m away on the bike from a frontal angle. So again, shit photos.

I realize it was raining at Muncie for the end of the race, but Jesus, did everyone decide to have a drink while I was going by? I went through all of the 10,000 or more photos and didn't see shit. That and they mistook someone else for me when I looked up my race number. Ugh, so pissed off....
Quote Reply
Re: Screw Brightroom Photography! [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brightroom has always been awful for photos, sometimes i really don't know why they bother.

Asi orders is probably the best out of the big companies, at least they go out onto the course.

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I somewhat agree. Last race they were set up just outside transition area as you were getting on your bike. Not a good photo spot. I have seen some decent photos from them once in a while in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed! They took more photos of me than you but they all sucked. 2 exiting the swim, several head on shots of me putting my shoes on at the beginning of the bike and taking them off before T2. All the photos on the run were approaching the finish line (which didn't even say Finish). I was really hoping for a full blown aero shot. I've got a new bike an I wanted to see her in action.

I noticed during the race photographers in areas where we were slowing down (T1, T2, turns). I had more & better photos from a sprint distance event last summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we complain about their prices too?
It's been a while since that thread was up, and I feel like bitching.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw Brightroom Photography! [angryirish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the prices are insane for all photo companies, i have given up that war.

Grant
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Screw Brightroom Photography! [angryirish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their camera makes me look fat. SUCK IT BRIGHTROOM!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And sometimes they are wiseasses.

Quote Reply
Re: Screw Brightroom Photography! [wckid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Agreed! They took more photos of me than you but they all sucked. 2 exiting the swim, several head on shots of me putting my shoes on at the beginning of the bike and taking them off before T2. All the photos on the run were approaching the finish line (which didn't even say Finish). I was really hoping for a full blown aero shot. I've got a new bike an I wanted to see her in action.

I noticed during the race photographers in areas where we were slowing down (T1, T2, turns). I had more & better photos from a sprint distance event last summer.

Why can't we have slowtwitchers taking the pictures. I would love to see a side view of me going down the biggest hill, on a nice flat, and of course a frontal shot near the top of the steepest hill. Those are the ones I'll pay for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't Brightroom just a printer? Do they actually have a staff of photographers?
Last edited by: stainofmind: Jul 16, 09 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right. Hopefully they'll realize that good photos are the lifeblood of their business. I'm sure they employ experienced photographers, but experienced at what? I think it's studio photography because their actions shots are nearly always poorly composed. Just like others have said, they get you mounting/dismounting the bike, never riding along on the aero bars.
Another annoyance is that when they are out on the course, they are at a corner when you have gotten up on the base bars and are coasting around the turn.

On the other hand, after 5 years of 100% crap photos they finally got good ones at 2 races this year, so there's some improvement perhaps.

And prices? Never paying that amount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lepow photos did Great Floridian and Florida Challenge last year...those were some fantastic photos... I think that there were about 40+ of me! And I did the half!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last race, no pics on the bike and it's $25 for a single image.. Pu lease....

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Re: Screw Brightroom Photography! [RACERX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Last race, no pics on the bike and it's $25 for a single image.. Pu lease.... "

I don't think $25 for a single image is expensive if it is a good shot. Getting the good shot seems to be their problem.

They obviously have their business model, which must work, since they have been taking the same crappy shots from the same crappy angles since I've been around, often with crappy lighting.

From my experience, head on is a decent angle for runners, but for cyclists, it is awful as it makes just about everyone look chubby, doesn't show the bike at all, and unless is pretty zoomed in doesn't even make the rider recognizable.

If you look at cool shots of cyclists TTing, they are almost always from the side with a cool back/foreground.

As an example, here is a typical brightroom angle:
http://sports.espn.go.com/..._armstrong01_200.jpg

And here is what I think they should be doing:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/....default-283x360.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Screw Brightroom Photography! [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many of you have actually purchased a printed picture or pictures from any of the photo companies? Unless you are winning races and have a trophy room in your house, what do you do with the pictures?
The only time I have bought one was when my wife and I did a half marathon. We took a finisher's medal picture together. The picture is now stuffed in a drawer somewhere.
What I'd like to see is a less expensive option to use the digital images (IE- post on Facebook or in blog). I'd gladly pay a little to have these images available, but the $50ish they want for a download of digital images is too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw Brightroom Photography! [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How many of you have actually purchased a printed picture or pictures from any of the photo companies? Unless you are winning races and have a trophy room in your house, what do you do with the pictures?
The only time I have bought one was when my wife and I did a half marathon. We took a finisher's medal picture together. The picture is now stuffed in a drawer somewhere.
What I'd like to see is a less expensive option to use the digital images (IE- post on Facebook or in blog). I'd gladly pay a little to have these images available, but the $50ish they want for a download of digital images is too much.
My wife got me one of the expensive Ironman Finisher things from ASI with 3 different pics and my time on it from IMWI in 2007. It's nice, but I sure would not have paid for it. I agree the prices they ask are astronomical. Must have to get the $ where they can to make up for all the people that just do a screen capture of an image.

I did however buy some pictures from a small local tri that I did a few weeks ago. They were from a local guy that comes out to most races and instead of pulling a screen capture I decided to do my bit to help the economy and help the guy out. Besides, it was only like $3.00 each for a digital file good enough for a facebook or blog page. I'm all for helping guys like him out but $30+ for a pic is a ripoff.

I dont purchase pictures from them, because well i can have a friend come out and take them with my 200 dollar handheld and make them look better.

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one from a local race that used a local photographer that managed to get a half decent bike shot that wasn't completely head-on. It wasn't for me, my mother wanted one, so I don't have to look at it very often but it's nice that it's not an awful picture.

I don't think brightroom have ever taken a decent picture of me, they are pretty terrible. The local guy was cheaper and his turnaround for the print was pretty fast.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best photo I ever had was from ASI. At the lone star tri festival, they got a picture of me in the process of pulling my wetsuit down to my waist. That would not be so bad, except they only got my right arm pit, elbow and hip. Some other dude is framed in the center of the pic. There is nothing in the world I want more than a picture of hairy pit. The fact that they bothered to ID this as me is astounding. I almost had to buy it.

Brian
Splash - Hammer - Plod
Last edited by: bcw_STP: Jul 16, 09 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We do the wall'o'images on the side of our fridge. It's like a scrapbook page of interesting stuff in our lives- photos of us, our cats, our families, design work that the spousal unit has done, assorted cool magnets... I've got a marathon finisher's picture up there, and bought a second copy of that picture to send to my parents because they like pictures of that kind of thing for the family photo album. Also random flotsam and jetsam from random races- the parking passes from a couple races on local military bases tend to end up on there.
Last edited by: FLA Jill: Jul 16, 09 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased 2 from the Florida Challenge last year... it was a random trip that ended up producing a 5th OA placing and I think I was a little giddy when the photos turned out. Wasn't even a PR, but I got caught up. Bought one hard copy and one digital image of me on the bike from the side that is internet worthy.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They (race photo companies) are the ones behind the "number must be worn in front" clause. As they probably have software to auto I'd racers. They need to see the number in the photo to get revenue. Otherwise they have to pay a real person to sort through the photos. How many people will search through all the photos to find and buy theirs?

Put your bike number to be side viwable if you want a good bike photo, then hope that the phoographers have selected a good location.

Run like you stole something
Formerly Fueled by ZYM
Quote Reply
Re: Screw Brightroom Photography! [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite race photo ever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brandon, my guess is that you were going too fast for the photographers to frame you in the shot!

My Brightroom pictures sucked also. It seemed to me like the photographers knew how to take pictures in crappy light conditions (it was raining, but the shots were all clear and well colored), but the angles were just awful. All front-on shots within 400 yards of transition. No, I don't need seven pictures of me putting my left shoe on as I roll out of T1.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw Brightroom Photography! [Rahzel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Brightroom photo from Buffalo Springs about five years ago. I'm running out of the water next to a thin triathlete who actually looks like he belongs there, my arms pumped up from the swim, my sleeveless wetsuit acting as a perfect girdle to my ever-present love handles. It was my second-worst Half Ironman time ever, but I told my wife that when I die I'm going to have to insist it be used as the obituary picture.
Quote Reply

Prev Next