Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap stomp calibration test
Quote | Reply
I got a new Powertap recently and am concerned that it reads low. I have used an SRM for a few years and have an idea of what power levels feel like at different intensities (for me). It seems to me that the PT could be 25% low. I have zeroed the torque a few times on every ride. Before I send it back to Saris to get checked out I tried the calibration test as described here below. My numbers are 167lbs x 175 x 1in/25.4mm x 26/34 = 880. The PT CPU shows 570 so a difference of 35%.

Anyone tried this test and come up with this kind of variance?

"Technically, the PowerTap cannot be user-calibrated, but its accuracy can be checked using a simple test that is similar to the SRM calibration check. First, check that the transmission icon is on, and if not, give the rear wheel a spin. Then, enter the torque mode by holding the “Select” button down for 2 seconds or longer (the “WATTS” designation will disappear from the top line.) Apply the rear brake sufficiently to lock up the rear wheel. Now, measure torque as follows: with the cranks exactly horizontal (right crank at 3 o’clock), hang a known weight of at least 50 lbs from the right crank, or simply stand on it – hence the name ‘stomp test’! Measured torque = (weight in lbs) × (crank length in mm) × (1 in/25.4 mm) × (cog teeth/chainring teeth). For a 159 lb rider standing on a 175 mm crank, with the chain on the 39 tooth ring and the 23 tooth cog, 159 lbs × 175 mm × 1 in/25.4 mm × 23/39 = 646 in-lbs. Compare this to the displayed value by calculating % error as (measured torque - displayed torque)/measured torque."
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap stomp calibration test [Zooma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I got a new Powertap recently and am concerned that it reads low. I have used an SRM for a few years and have an idea of what power levels feel like at different intensities (for me). It seems to me that the PT could be 25% low. I have zeroed the torque a few times on every ride. Before I send it back to Saris to get checked out I tried the calibration test as described here below. My numbers are 167lbs x 175 x 1in/25.4mm x 26/34 = 880. The PT CPU shows 570 so a difference of 35%.

"Technically, the PowerTap cannot be user-calibrated, but its accuracy can be checked using a simple test that is similar to the SRM calibration check. First, check that the transmission icon is on, and if not, give the rear wheel a spin. Then, enter the torque mode by holding the “Select” button down for 2 seconds or longer (the “WATTS” designation will disappear from the top line.) Apply the rear brake sufficiently to lock up the rear wheel. Now, measure torque as follows: with the cranks exactly horizontal (right crank at 3 o’clock), hang a known weight of at least 50 lbs from the right crank, or simply stand on it – hence the name ‘stomp test’! Measured torque = (weight in lbs) × (crank length in mm) × (1 in/25.4 mm) × (cog teeth/chainring teeth). For a 159 lb rider standing on a 175 mm crank, with the chain on the 39 tooth ring and the 23 tooth cog, 159 lbs × 175 mm × 1 in/25.4 mm × 23/39 = 646 in-lbs. Compare this to the displayed value by calculating % error as (measured torque - displayed torque)/measured torque."

First off...are you trying this with your body weight? If so...don't do that. Seriously. Trying to do it with body weight is an exercise in futility, despite the "stomp test" moniker.

Find a "known" weight of ~50 lbs or so and hang that from the pedal spindle. Then, when in "torque mode" on the PT, rotate the rear wheel backwards so it lifts the weight off of the floor (it helps to have the bike in a trainer for this) and VERY SLOWLY move the weight up and down, periodically holding it still, to find the maximum torque reading.

Secondly, how do you know your SRM was "correct"? Did you ever statically check the torque calibration on it?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Not only have I tried that test, I invented it about 10 y ago.* :-)

For some reason, though, many others can't balance on a single pedal well enough to obtain a valid reading, so first thing you might try is using some heavy weights (and/or repeat the test making absolutely certain that ALL of your weight is on the pedal). If it still seems off, then you should probably give Saris a call (miscalibrated PowerTaps are rare - especially by such a large margin - but I've heard of one or two).

BTW, I wouldn't necessarily put stock in the numbers from the SRM unless it, too, has been statically calibrated using a similar approach...factory-miscalibrated SRMs don't seem to be as common as they once were, but historically there have been a lot more of them than miscalibrated PowerTaps.

*I just checked: it will be 10 y exactly a week from today.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 12, 09 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also going to suggest that some portion of your weight might still have been on the handlebars.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap stomp calibration test [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Tom. Yes body weight. I will try again with a known weight.

I never checked the SRM besides doing the zero offset. I think it was accurate based on a number of things.

My SRM power numbers compared well to my Computrainer.

I also compared power numbers to training partners on uphill sections and made allowance for differences in weight.

Race times vs watts seemed to compute
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap stomp calibration test [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have credited you for that test. Midweek club is where I found it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I should have credited you for that test. Midweek club is where I found it.
Not really. I just figured that I had a right to brag since Robert Chung claims that just because something is known doesn't mean that you can't discover it all over again. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally got around to do a known weight test and not body weight. I had the crank arm horizontal and hung the weight off the pedal axis.

50 lbs × 175 mm × 1 in/25.4 mm × 24/34 = 243.17 in-lbs was the formula I used from AC.

Actual result was 229 lbs so a difference of about 6%. My suspicion is that the PT reads low. Would the lower reading of 229 support that or is it the other way around?

Is this worth bothering about and should I send it to Saris for checking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Finally got around to do a known weight test and not body weight. I had the crank arm horizontal and hung the weight off the pedal axis.

50 lbs × 175 mm × 1 in/25.4 mm × 24/34 = 243.17 in-lbs was the formula I used from AC.

Actual result was 229 lbs so a difference of about 6%. My suspicion is that the PT reads low. Would the lower reading of 229 support that or is it the other way around?

What value do you get when you rotate and hold the rear wheel SLOWLY as I described above?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: May 31, 09 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

What value do you get when you rotate and hold the rear wheel SLOWLY as I described above?
Worth checking it in a couple of gear combinations as well. When I see 6%, it makes me want to check the tooth count on the cog.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Training Plans -- Power Meter Hire -- SRM Sales Australia -- cyclecoach.com -- My Blog -- Sydney Turbo Studio
Quote Reply