Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rain Race: Transition Setup
Quote | Reply
My final Oly is this Sunday and there is a 90% chance of rain / thunderstorms. The entire race period is blanketed by the rain probabilities, peaking at 90%+ around T1-mid bike. I run and bike in the rain, as required. I'm not bothered by the chance of that. I know how to manage traction on the bike, and blisters on the run in the wet. The temps will be 75F or so, so no issues with "windchill". I'm just curious if there are any alterations that people make to their transition setup for the rain?

In searching on here, I've read a few past threads and from those I mostly gleaned:

1. Bring trashbags for covering T-bag, and storing wet, nasty racekit post-race, sharing with the less fortunate.
2. Cover shoes in bag so you, at least, START the run dry...besides if its stopped raining by then...might even finish that way.
3. Dry pair of socks for the run (same argument as #2).
4. Change of dry, clean clothes (including shoes) for post-race.

Am I missing anything?

Hopefully it just rains, and no lightening-thunder.
Quote Reply
Re: Rain Race: Transition Setup [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on the race, you may or may not be allowed that big bag o' stuff at your rack space. Besides, you don't want to waste time digging in the larger bag for your run shoes etc. Put your run shoes in a simple plastic (grocery, shopping, whatever) bag, with socks pre-scrunched into the opening of each shoe, ready to put on. I don't bother with socks on the bike, and those shoes stay on my pedals... so it's a given I'm cycling with wet feet/shoes. Apply lots of Body Glide on your feet and between toes before the race to ward off blisters. Inflate your tires ~10psi less than you normally ride, if the course is wet. Wear clear sunglasses or a clear/light visor on your helmet... you don't want the water and grit that gets kicked up off the course to end up in your eyes. My last horrid-weather race was draft-legal, where that was even more of an issue.

Oh, and have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Rain Race: Transition Setup [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Depending on the race, you may or may not be allowed that big bag o' stuff at your rack space. Besides, you don't want to waste time digging in the larger bag for your run shoes etc. Put your run shoes in a simple plastic (grocery, shopping, whatever) bag, with socks pre-scrunched into the opening of each shoe, ready to put on. I don't bother with socks on the bike, and those shoes stay on my pedals... so it's a given I'm cycling with wet feet/shoes. Apply lots of Body Glide on your feet and between toes before the race to ward off blisters. Inflate your tires ~10psi less than you normally ride, if the course is wet. Wear clear sunglasses or a clear/light visor on your helmet... you don't want the water and grit that gets kicked up off the course to end up in your eyes. My last horrid-weather race was draft-legal, where that was even more of an issue.

Oh, and have fun!

Screw the socks (if you're going for a podium) & before you start the race or leave the house, apply NU SKIN to your "hot spots" where you typically get rubbed on the run. Apply, let it dry, repeat to build up layers. However, if you're just going for the completion--go ahead & be more comfortable with the socks. Go crush it!
Quote Reply
Re: Rain Race: Transition Setup [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Screw the socks (if you're going for a podium) & before you start the race or leave the house, apply NU SKIN to your "hot spots" where you typically get rubbed on the run. Apply, let it dry, repeat to build up layers. However, if you're just going for the completion--go ahead & be more comfortable with the socks. Go crush it![/quote]

x2. As someone who focuses on OLY distance racing, always sockless rain or shine if you are aiming for a podium spot. Good luck
Last edited by: gphin305: Oct 11, 17 19:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#4 makes sense for the trip home. I think 1-3 are a waste of effort. Everything is going to be wet, just plan on racing wet, it's not that big of a deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually put my running shoes on a small towel (use it to wipe my feet before putting shoes on) and cover them with a small plastic bag so at least they aren't waterlogged when I start the run. I also put my helmet right side up so the inside isn't wet and put my glasses under the helmet so they are dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DO not use black trashbags to cover your gear. I know athletes who have lost gear because the volunteers thought the bags were trash, and hoofed them in a dumpster... The clear recycle bags are a safer bet... Gear bags should be in the car, as should your dry clothes for post race. A plastic grocery bag for your run shoes and a few plastic bags for your manky clothes after the race... Clear lenses are a must on the bike to avoid being blinded by grit spewed when passing/being passed. Cycling shoes are going to be wet, either from your feet or the rain... also be prepared for delays. If there's lightening, there will be delays in the races, so be mentally prepped for that. Some people are not,. and their performance suffers. And yes, blister prep is key with lots of body glide or similar product on the feet...
Quote Reply
Re: Rain Race: Transition Setup [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all. Good additions/modification.

Not going for podium....If I have a solid well-executed day, I'm probably a 5th place finisher in this race. Socks for me are necessary---I have sensitive nerves in my feet and the cushioning minimizes the nerve pain, post bike/run. Next year, I may try and put the socks on my insoles inside out---but, I'm not doing something new in the race that I haven't tried in training.

I have prescription auto-darkening glasses because I've been practically blind since birth. :-)

1. clear bags---hadn't expected that overzealous volunteers might throw stuff away.
2. Helmet on top of glasses---might as well be able to see for the first 100 feet (:-).
3. NU SKIN on hot-spots, and body glide on feet.
4. Think about removing some PSI from tires, if known wet/slick course.
Quote Reply