Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fastest clincher tires for race wheels
Quote | Reply
I need to purchase a set of clincher tires for my race wheel set (H3 front/ Renn disc). What is the fastest clincher tire out there? Of course puncture resistance is very, very important! Also any tube recommendations for a race wheel set?

Many thanks,

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Conti GP3000s on my training wheels and I love them. The training wheels hanging out to the side make tight turns impossible :)...

Clincher race wheels???

It's pronounnced Tube-U-Lar (Just kidding...I just bought a pair of zipp tubulars and will never go back).

----->Trent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fastest tire out there is a tubular, not a clincher.

The advantages of tubualars over clinchers are:

1. Much higher flat resistance (depndant on tire selection, but almost all tubulars are much more flat resistant than clinchers by design).
2. Lower rolling resistance.
3. Lighter weight (rim and tire both).
4. Better traction due to better tire deformation (takes less energy to deform the tire).
5. Much faster tire changes should you ever flat in a race.

In my book, the term "clincher race wheels" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing. The first thing that makes wheels "race" wheels is that they are tubulars, not clinchers.

Having said all that, if you already have clinchers, short of selling them on E-Bay and starting over with tubulars (my recommendation) the new Continental Gran Prix Supersonic is a credible attempt at a race specific clincher as are the Continental Force and Attack front/rear specific tire combination.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vittoria corsa cx evo. as close to a tubular you'll get..and easy to install. after 20 years of racing on tubs i might race on these this year. damn, did i just say that?
Last edited by: Frank Rehnelt: Feb 13, 04 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I figured someone would say just what you did but I already have the clincher front H3 (newbie mistake) so what do you think about these new Tufo clincher-tubular tires?

DC Pattie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<Of course puncture resistance is very, very important! Also any tube recommendations for a race wheel set? >>

I have had really good luck with Conti tires. The plain old Grand Prix, which are discontinued I believe, and the GP3000's. I spend the extra coin for Schwable(sp?) innertubes, but I like the little pressure gauge that they include in every box. OK, so I'm easily entertained. I'm a student on a budget, so I prefer the cost effectiveness of clinchers versus tubulars.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trained and raced on Michelin Pro Race tires last year. Tried out Conti 3000, liked the tread wear but the sidwalls gave me a problem. Same with the Conti Supersonic. Probably my bad luck.

The only thing I didn't like about training on the Michelins is that the tread seemed to cut easier cuz it's a slick. The Conti 3000's have a tread pattern on them and seemed to resist cuts on the tread better.

This year I'm going to Tufo Tubular clinchers for training and Tufo tubular's for racing.

jaretj

In case of fire, yell "FIRE!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie said:
Quote:
I need to purchase a set of clincher tires for my race wheel set (H3 front/ Renn disc). What is the fastest clincher tire out there? Of course puncture resistance is very, very important! Also any tube recommendations for a race wheel set? (emphasis added)

So Tom, I think it's OBVIOUS that his RACE WHEEL SET are CLINCHERS , and he wasn't asking whether to keep them or go to tubulars. Self-admittedly your social skills are in dire need of improvement, so why don't you start with realizing that paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4 and the first part of 5 of your post were unnecessary, and you could have just posted:

"The new Continental Gran Prix Supersonic is a credible attempt at a race specific clincher as are the Continental Force and Attack front/rear specific tire combination."

There's no question you know your stuff about bikes, but it's not always necessary to show how smart or superior you (think) you are. Add this to your "elitism" thread if you're still mystified by customer's reactions. Cats take well to that kind of stuff... people, being human... don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have to go with the Michelin Pro Race, as I just love the feel and handling of these tires.

mp
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I'm a bad person.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom D obviously has more experience than I do but I take issue with his statement concerning faster tire changes. I rode and raced (mostly crits and never above a Cat 4) on tubulars and I would say that if you can change a tubular that quickly then your glue job is substandard. I have rolled a tubular off a front at 20+mph and was on the concrete so fast I never knew what hit me. I have installed many tubulars over the years and they are still a pain in the arse and messy to boot. O.K so you glue it in such a manner that you CAN change it quickly, now you have a new tire that is held on by only by the tackiness of the old glue on the rim. So your descending on one of those nice wiggly downhills at IMOO and your new tire decides it doesn't want to stay on the rim, what next? Give me a good clincher any day, the rolling resistence of a good clincher is close enough to tubular for most of us. I can pay a sprint entry fee with the difference in the cost of clinchers vs tubbies. The only reason the pros still use them is because they have a support vehicle full of wheels right behind the peloton. Conti, Michelin, Vredstein all make good race clinchers that won't break the bank.
Last edited by: robc: Feb 13, 04 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well... at least you have your cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [Frank Rehnelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
victoria corsa cx evo

Uh, that's Vittoria. Close enough though, and I agree, they are the reason that I gave up tubs years ago.

That said, they don't last very long, and are best as a race tire only. I also never liked the dual compound tires. The solid black are the way to go, but they may have improved recently.

I just picked up a pair of Conti Attack / Force tires on the recommendation of my LBS. Haven't ridden them yet though, this weekend will be the first test.

Avoid Supersonics, on the back anyway. They wear out in under 1000 kms. The front will last longer (riding buddies experiences, not mine). a similar tire that lasts a bit longer is the Vittoria Ultraspeed, which I raced on for the first part of last year. Still not a high mileage tire, but combined with a lightweight tube is as light as almost any tubular out there, and has reasonable puncture resistance. It requires about 20 psi more than other tires, and not as grippy as the Corsa CX. Great for time trials though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey tom, have you ridden the conti pair before?

It seems like a 100 bucks is an awful lot for some rubber, especially for clinchers.

I love michelins, and i hate to spend anymore than 20 bucks on a tire, in that range, you can't beat the discontinued High Lite's.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [Ben in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry guys, I'm in the middle of doing some fittings. I'll jump back in here in an hour or two....

Good discussion though, as usual.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add to my previous post, I don't deny that good tubulars are probably faster than good clinchers but I question whether that justifies the extra cost and hassle. I'm the guy always checking the sale prices at Nashbar and Performance, my budget (and my wife) don't allow $100 a pair clinchers or tubulars to be part of the discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saber, Tom and I should all go bowling together. Seriously, no hard feelings but I'm still interested in some feedback on the TUFO clincher-tubulars. I have had good luck with the Vittoria's but I'm reluctant to put the new Corsa EVO's on my H3 because of Hed's warning statement on their website.

Thanks,

DC Pattie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rate them as OK. Nothing great.

The CX's are fine on the H3
Last edited by: jasonk: Feb 13, 04 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with a Continental Gran Prix or Supersonic, but get at least a 23 mm width. the 18mm and 20mm tires are narrower than their nominal size and prone to sidewall damage.

The TUFO clinchers have been discussed in previous threads. Personally I don't like them as they give you the worst of both worlds with none of the advantages.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [robc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clinchers can be race wheels!

just ask dave harju (ironman wisconsin winner) heather gollnick (won several ironmans), and both ride spinergy clinchers and the rest of the timex team, and spencer smith. and i saw a picture of chis mcCormick winning a half-ironman in arizona, on alp clinchers. they are such losers! if they knew anything they would ride tubular!.....it might make a very very small difference, but if it was that big of deal (as many slowtwitchers make it) i highly doubt that the pros would ride them. i have clincher race wheels and had the fastest bike split at one race. i also know a cat 1-2 rider who placed in the top 40 at national TT championships, and he rides clinchers......loser.

just ride,

luke

i like michelin pro-race tires alot. i know guys that really like the vittoria stuff too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Conti Supersonics, very fast, but no puncture protection (?), very hard to fit and very limited lifespan.

I now use Veloflex Paves, awesome tyre, great grip, very fast. No puncture as yet (fingers crossed).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same race wheel combo and use Michelin Race Pro. They are great.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The TUFO clinchers have been discussed in previous threads. Personally I don't like them as they give you the worst of both worlds with none of the advantages.

I think the TUFO's are a viable option, because if you have "race clinchers", changing a flat is a royal pain. Not sure what the worst of both worlds would be. But with clincher rims the choice is between the standard clincher tire, tube and rim tape vs. the TUFO setup. The overall weight is similar but the chance of flatting on TUFO's is significantly lower. That is the major advantage of TUFO's.

Some folks don't like them because they feel they ride hard. That's the major knock I've read, but they ride fine for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
victoria corsa cx evo
Before you do that check the Hed web site. They do not recommend this tire (my favorite tire BTW).
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [luke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chill out Luke. If they paid me to use their Crapy Clinchers I would. They don't so I don't. During a race I think I can change a tubie faster then a clincher. I had a bad experance with a clincher when I was a young child. I am still working through it but Dr Phill has bin a big help.He thinks in time I will recover. Till then no clinchers except MB tires but only kevlar folding tires. I want to use clinchers all the time . Their all I think about day and night. French clincher rims. Campy clincher rims. Huffy clincher rims. Stop my !!!~!!!!!! Prozac me DR memory !!! Screw this I'm going Ice biking !!
The Dirtball!
Quote Reply

Prev Next