Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey DC Pattie, my 82 year old Mom can beat me at bowling. It's pretty humiliating.

Before I tried the TUFO "clincher/tubular" mutants I would go with the clincher recommendations people have posted her.

As stated by others, I like:

- Continentals, like Force/Attack TPS system.
- Continental Gran Prix Supersonic.
- Vredestein's (used by Hellriegal to win Hawaii).
- Michelin Race Lites.

In my opinion, these seem to be the better clinchers. It seems like I'm forgetting one though... It's crazy in here, I gotta run.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about the new Schwalbe Stelvio's..just mounted them on my new 404s (they are soooo sweet...and the Renn disc...bless you all for the recommendation...it is also clincher) and they feel awesome. Time will tell how they perform in a race and how long they last
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone tell me how you glue your tubulars for triathlons to enable the "thumbrule" of less than 2 min flat changeouts? My wife has had two tubular flats in races and had to wait for the support van to change the tires (and if it happens again she will probably kill me). I currently use the procedure on the Zipp website and apply very thin layers, but I still never feel like I could get the tube off in anything less than five minutes...(not taking into account race adrenalin). Mahalo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fastest tires in the world aren't fast if you get a flat. Conti 3000s have been pretty much bullet proof for me, while Conti Supersonics have been very flat prone. However, I race with Supersonics because I think they are faster. All that speed I gain with tires puts me in the middle of the BOP or in the back of the MOP. So how stupid am I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh yeah. If you wan fast AND puncture resistance, hard to beat Michelin Axial Carbons.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you guys have already worked this out, kissed, and made up. Still, I'd like to make a point.

Someone asks, "What's the best screwdriver to use to drive a nail into a wall?" One could answer the question and provide a workable solution. Or, one could say, "You COULD use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail, but a hammer is better. In fact, you could probably sell one of your screwdrivers and buy a hammer and be much happier."

Tom did a good job of both answering the question posed (he did suggest some clincher choices) and offered a suggestion that the person may not have considered. As anyone who deals with customers knows, sometimes you have to steer the customer into a solution they had not considered. In the end, whatever decision the customer makes is what you do.

Personally, I bought a clincher Renn disc because my everyday front wheel (Spinergy Rev-X clincher) IS my race wheel and I didn't what to have a mixed bag. When I "upgrade" my race wheel choice, I will almost certainly go with tubulars but for now, this is what works best for me.

That said, I like the Michelin Axial Pro. The seem to provide better grip than the Conti's I've ridden and have pretty good wear. Yes, they do cut a little more easily but that's something I'm willing to live with.

- Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [kvelarde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Someone asks, "What's the best screwdriver to use to drive a nail into a wall?" One could answer the question and provide a workable solution. Or, one could say, "You COULD use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail, but a hammer is better. In fact, you could probably sell one of your screwdrivers and buy a hammer and be much happier."

Snap-on, Craftman, Stanley et al neither design nor market screwdrivers for nail driving. Zipp, Corima, HED, Mavic et al, however, design and market clincher race wheels. It's a subtle, but important, difference.

I have both tubular and clincher "race wheels", depending on what kind of race. They both have their virtues. As far as the fastest clincher tires for race wheels, I think the Michelin Pro Race tires, which were used by several teams in the Tour de France, are probably it.

I can't wait to hear more about the new Michelin tubless tires. That sounds very interesting.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Snap-on, Craftman, Stanley et al neither design nor market screwdrivers for nail driving. Zipp, Corima, HED, Mavic et al, however, design and market clincher race wheels. It's a subtle, but important, difference.
I was making a silly analogy. I agree there is an important difference and I stand (sit) corrected. I think I'll punish myself by slipping out for a run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How come no one has mentioned veloflex? Has anyone ridden them?

I don't claim to have ridden them yet (still sitting in storage), but man, they are a work of art compared to my Panaracer S.E. & Michelin Carbons. And soooo supple!

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not being a wise guy but what exactly is interesting about tubless clincher road tires? When I questioned the Mavic guys about their tubless MTB system a few years ago they told me the main benefit was the ability to ride lower pressures without pinch flatting. On technical mountain trails this makes tons of sense and may be worth the problems that come with the system. i.e. limited rim choices, heavier tires, the use of a compressor to seat the bead, inability to patch on the trail. etc. The road thing looks like a "marketing" driven product. "Lets see we have a rim with no spoke holes, and we are the only company that has it. Lets promote tubeless road tires!" I doubt anyone would ever consider running low pressure on the road, if you puncture you have to patch the tire. If you have ever done it on a UST mt bike tire it is not easy. the weight savings will be 70 grams for a tube but the tire has to be heavier to keep air from escaping. Based on the MTB system weights you will be lucky to break even on weight. So you end up with the performance of a clincher, without the ability to pop a tube in after a flat. Just tell the group, "hang on I got a flat, anyone have a patch kit, some soapy water and a compressor so I can repair my tubless system? Dont worry though I only have to pump them up to 35psi. I can run low pressure."
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Veloflex in both tubular and clincher versions are sweet, supple, and great road racing tires. As noted above, one needs to get to the finish line and a flat adds 2minutes to one's bike time if you are adept at tire changes. Do a solid roadie glue job and one can spend 20 minutes trying to get a hold of the tire to get it off. Do a cyclocross glue job, and you're stuck. I go back and forth between these (in tubs) and Conti GPs. Flatted both in various races, so who knows. The Veloflex clinchers are my tire of choice for Crits when I don't want to worry about my glue job in the middle of a sharp corner. Paired with latex tubes, and it's a freakin lightweight and supple set up. For the glue wary folks out there, a great tire, IF you are willing to accept the slightly higher possibly of puncture in exchange for the ride and lighter weight. They aren't for everyone.
Quote Reply
Vittoria open corsa evo-cx [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got my vittoria in the mail today. what can I say? Howabout WOW! I can't even see the threads, let alone try and count them. I haven't had a chance to get these on my bike (or even try ridin) but dang these sure looklike nice tires.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria open corsa evo-cx [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a shame that Hed wheels are not compatible with the EVO line. If I could ride these with confidence on my H3's it would be an easy decision. Hed also points out on their website that the other Vittoria models are O.K. so I'm considering the Vittoria Diamante; 20's up front with 23's on the disc.

DC Pattie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tufo Elite Jet tub/clinchers go up to 220psi (please don't try that, for your dental health's sake) but they roll like nothing else. With a little practice (remember practice?) you can change one in about 3 minutes.

Thumbs up also on the VeloFlex and Vredesteins. Both ride like tubulars, hold plenty of pressure, and grip well in corners.

Michelin is a French word for "Bad Tire".

b

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fastest clincher (since that's what you stipulated) I've ever used is the 20mm Veloflex Record.
  • ~120 grams
  • despite that, surprisingly durable tread life

All the speed you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the veloflex. They are made by the former Italian employees of vittoria beofore vittoria moved to Taiwan. Veloflex creates high quality mand made race tires. They smell like natural rubber and are very light weight.
I have Veloflex Records on my tt bike. I am a road guy, just like hearing what multi-folks are saying. the Records go to 140psi and have great feel. I am a cat 3 road racer (well, thanks to my itb I haven't raced ina year) and among folks I race with almost nobody uses tubulars. There are some web sites that have very low prices on veloflex. I have used conti 3000s, vittoria open corsa and they are both good, but they are not high pressure tires. They are for a more general purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Specialized S-Works Mondo Tires are the bomb!
Here's a direct quote from my buddy who admittedly may be somewhat biased since he works for Specialized: "Independent testing in Japan showed the S-Works Mondo tires to be the lightest ( 190 grams ) best cornering adhesion, lowest rolling resistance of any tire tested, including Michelin, Hutchinson, Vittoria, Continental, Vredestein."

I have a set on my new bike that I just picked up yesterday. Haven't tried them yet, but they sure look fast!

TriDi
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest clincher tires for race wheels [TriDi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried Conti 3000, Michelin Ironman (Pro Race) and Vittoria EVO CX and the Vittoria is by far the best of the three. The ride is as good as a high quality tubular and better than many cheaper tubulars (if there is such a thing) and they can be pumped very high unlike the Michelin or Conti. However, I ride Hed 3's and they do mount very easily on those rims so I can see the potential for danger there at high pressures. I did ride 2 ironman's with them at 140psi before I read the warning in HED's website.
Quote Reply

Prev Next