Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [kartbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just making an observation that at 10 mph and 300 Watts, it feels like a pretty big hill and it is really quiet. You certainly don't have to ride it that way, but you can. I think it sounds better than a roller based trainer at a similar speed, but I'm obviously biased...

Chip from Wahoo
Quote Reply
Post deleted by kartbuilder [ In reply to ]
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray,

Thanks

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kartbuilder wrote:
chippyhawkeye wrote:
Hi Nate,

Thanks for making that point. The high torque electromagnet is designed to generate high power even at low speeds, something I don't believe any other trainer can do. This allows Erg mode to operate at low speeds and makes the Trainer exceptionally quiet. I'm obviously biased (it's my baby) but it doesn't "feel" as loud as other trainers even at similar speeds.

Chip from Wahoo

The stumbling block with high power at low speeds to correct a noise issue, is like driving a ferrari at low speed to correct an air leak makin' noise at one of the windows, no? If you slow down the brake with a lower gear, you slow down the flywheel. If you slow down the flywheel, you reduce the momentum. If you reduce the momentum, what the heck is that gonna feel like? Surely, it won't feels like a bike. Basically, you're sayin' you should drive the ferrari like a prius? I don't get it..

It still feels good, at least it did for me. I'm a high torque rider and have problems ridding mag trainers without a lot of roll down in them. I can't get power up on low inertia trainers. I didn't have any problems on the Kickr.

There's only a few of us who have done workouts on them, and I think we all like it. If you're on the fence I would just wait until a buddy/bike shop gets one and try it out.

But it's not like it's loud at high speeds either. As Ray showed, it's about the same sound level as a road machine, which is known to be a quiet trainer.

So at high speeds it's as quiet as a "quiet" trainer and is a very high inertia trainer (only beat by the lemond revolution I think) so it will have a good feel. Then if you want a quieter trainer, put it in a small gear and your drive train will make more noise than the trainer (and it will still have a good feel). I personally couldn't tell any difference feel wise between the high and low speeds. I'll pay more attention next ride.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Nate,
Sorry if I missed this being mentioned earlier...

Any idea when the ERG mode will be available for Windows and ANT+ option?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [runner87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner87 wrote:
Hey Nate,
Sorry if I missed this being mentioned earlier...

Any idea when the ERG mode will be available for Windows and ANT+ option?
We don't have a date for when this will be ready. I know the Wahoo guys are working on this now, though.

theSufferfest.com
Co-Founder of TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [grad98cofc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really surprised to see the Kickr's weight come in at 46 lb. .Just to put that in perspective that's more than double the weight of a Computrainer and almost 20 lb heavier than a KK Road Machine. I'd been imagining it might be a nice unit to travel with but suddenly that's not looking quite so attractive. Despite nice looking packaging, schlepping it around would verge on a weight workout and you know how most Slowtwitchers abhor those;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kartbuilder wrote:
sciguy wrote:
I'm really surprised to see the Kickr's weight come in at 46 lb. .Just to put that in perspective that's more than double the weight of a Computrainer and almost 20 lb heavier than a KK Road Machine. I'd been imagining it might be a nice unit to travel with but suddenly that's not looking quite so attractive. Despite nice looking packaging, schlepping it around would verge on a weight workout and you know how most Slowtwitchers abhor those;)

Hugh

Interesting, must be steel not aluminum. If half the trainer is frame/structural i.e. not brake, they could've lopped 8 lbs off the frame. Aluminum 1/3 weight of steel (46/2)/3

46 lbs doesn't leave much room for box, spare tools, packaging, etc. to avoid airline baggage surcharges over 50 lbs

I never once even considered using the Wahoo as a travel unit, and I doubt most people are thinking similarly. Use a compact trainer or compact roller set for that. Save the Wahoo for heavy duty at-home use. Who lugs their computrainer around when they travel?

Looks like a good unit - the price has unfortunately leveled it out with the Computrainer and the Powerbeam from Cyclops, but if the software (TrainerRoad etc) really shine through that could give them the edge they need. I'm rootin for them - always good to have another quality player in the erg bike market.
Quote Reply
Last edited by: kartbuilder: Jan 27, 13 9:01
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [grad98cofc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK so who reserved theirs? I was right there at 9am ET and got the confirmation message, but no email so far (and not sure one is coming). It seems that they are taking reservations but not telling you which batch your unit will ship from (which I understand, since some reservations will drop out and that will move others up). The waiting and mystery continue!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike from Wahoo here.

We should get confirmation emails out by Friday providing batch details and estimated ship dates.

Thanks...

mike@wahoo wrote:
Mike from Wahoo here.

We should get confirmation emails out by Friday providing batch details and estimated ship dates.

Thanks...

So I was right.. the "waiting and mystery" DO continue. But only until Friday!

All I know is that if I'm not in the first batch, there are some seriously fast typists out there, because I was constantly refreshing that page at 9am and started furiously entering in my info as soon as the reservation link went live.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are batch #9. Please refer to the thread "cry like a batch here".

Kidding! I haven't even seen the list yet but I do know we will review tomorrow and keep the process rolling.

Mike

refthimos wrote:
mike@wahoo wrote:
Mike from Wahoo here.

Thanks...

So I was right.. the "waiting and mystery" DO continue. But only until Friday!

All I know is that if I'm not in the first batch, there are some seriously fast typists out there, because I was constantly refreshing that page at 9am and started furiously entering in my info as soon as the reservation link went live.

I had form information saved in my browser so as soon as I entered the first three letters of my name the entire form was filled out! Only hesitation was when I didnt see a submit button which isn't visible in Chrome so I just hit enter from the email field and it worked. In order to see the submit button in Chrome you have to tab down from the email field. Found this out after and I went back to verify I wasnt crazy!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mike,

I'm still not clear on how the order in which the KICKRs will be distributed is to be determined. Will the order be based on how early people signed up today? Or will their be another race when it comes time to provide credit card information?
Last edited by: K_Man: Jan 29, 13 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike@wahoo wrote:

Kidding! I haven't even seen the list yet but I do know we will review tomorrow and keep the process rolling.

Mike

Not bothering to pre-order here, as much as I would like some.
The third world country I live in does have some issues with support it would seem (gogo Australia)

Question.
The unit is powered
I think I saw an external power brick in Ray's review
What are the input voltages on the power converter - 110-120 or 100-240v?
Is the plug permanently cabled to the brick, or can a different plug be attached?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [K_Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question. Only one hurdle in this process! Your spot in the reservation list will determine what batch you can buy from. There won't be another race when it comes time to provide cc info.

K_Man wrote:
Hi Mike,

I'm still not clear on how the order in which the KICKRs will be distributed is to be determined. Will the order be based on how early people signed up today? Or will their be another race when it comes time to provide credit card information?

Cape_Horn wrote:
mike@wahoo wrote:

Mike

Not bothering to pre-order here, as much as I would like some.
The third world country I live in does have some issues with support it would seem (gogo Australia)

Question.
The unit is powered
I think I saw an external power brick in Ray's review
What are the input voltages on the power converter - 110-120 or 100-240v?
Is the plug permanently cabled to the brick, or can a different plug be attached?

You can plug different plugs into the brick for non-us countries. The voltages of the brick are international friendly.

I root for Wahoo Fitness but I fear that they will have a poor start in Europe selling the Kickr.
First: the device will not be available before April 2013; by then the winter indoor season is over.
Second: Trainerroad anounced via Facebook that they can control the PowerBeam Pro Trainer via Ant+ in ERG mode.
Third: TODAY I can buy a PowerBeam Pro for 1.159,90 €. The Kickr is listed with 1.199,00 €.
Fourth: The road feel isn't ultra realistic, see DC Rainmaker 24. Jan 2013: ".. Riding wise (since a lot of folks ask), it ... well.. feels like a trainer.".
So why should I buy a Kickr?
Last edited by: CerrComp: Jan 30, 13 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
jbugno wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but does this mean that if I want app's running on my Win XP laptop to control the resistance (lets say TrainerRoad). I need to get a IOGear Bluetooth adapter and then hope that drivers are worked out.

Alternatively I could use my new ipad to control resistance. But are there any apps for the ipad that allow custom workout creation?

Yes, once the driver situation is sorted out.

Alternatively, yes, you could use the iPad.

Wahoo's own app (Wahoo Fitness App), will actually include a workout creator. It's not quite in there as of 1/16/2013 - but it will be there prior to units arriving on peoples doorsteps, that I know. It talking with the Wahoo guys, the functionality will roughly be in the same ballpark as something like the Garmin Connect or GTC workout builder. And for the most part, that allows you to program just about everything on earth.

That app will work on both iPhone and iPad.

I am sure that it is my reading comprehension skills that need work here, but I'm not 100% sure I understand.

Let's say I like TrainerRoad and the various workouts on their site. Let's say I'm happy paying them $10/month rather than creating my own workouts via the Wahoo App. Let's say I want to do their Eichorn workout (2x20s) with my SRM-equipped bike. On my KK Rock n' Roll, I need to concentrate on maintaining correct power intervals, using gear choice and cadence. With the KICKR's erg mode, that should not be necessary, as power will be constant and I can self-select cadence and maintain the correct power interval. The question is, will TrainerRoad control the KICKR's power level, adjusting it according to the power interval called for by the TrainerRoad workout as I progress through a workout? It seems the answer is yes, but that my computer needs to have Bluetooth Smart. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro, a current generation iPad and an iPhone 5, so it seems like my best bet would be running TrainerRoad on the iPad. However, with the correct Bluetooth adapter, my Macbook Pro should work. Do I have this right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
jbugno wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but does this mean that if I want app's running on my Win XP laptop to control the resistance (lets say TrainerRoad). I need to get a IOGear Bluetooth adapter and then hope that drivers are worked out.

Alternatively I could use my new ipad to control resistance. But are there any apps for the ipad that allow custom workout creation?

Yes, once the driver situation is sorted out.

Alternatively, yes, you could use the iPad.

Wahoo's own app (Wahoo Fitness App), will actually include a workout creator. It's not quite in there as of 1/16/2013 - but it will be there prior to units arriving on peoples doorsteps, that I know. It talking with the Wahoo guys, the functionality will roughly be in the same ballpark as something like the Garmin Connect or GTC workout builder. And for the most part, that allows you to program just about everything on earth.

That app will work on both iPhone and iPad.

I am sure that it is my reading comprehension skills that need work here, but I'm not 100% sure I understand.

Let's say I like TrainerRoad and the various workouts on their site. Let's say I'm happy paying them $10/month rather than creating my own workouts via the Wahoo App. Let's say I want to do their Eichorn workout (2x20s) with my SRM-equipped bike. On my KK Rock n' Roll, I need to concentrate on maintaining correct power intervals, using gear choice and cadence. With the KICKR's erg mode, that should not be necessary, as power will be constant and I can self-select cadence and maintain the correct power interval. The question is, will TrainerRoad control the KICKR's power level, adjusting it according to the power interval called for by the TrainerRoad workout as I progress through a workout? It seems the answer is yes, but that my computer needs to have Bluetooth Smart. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro, a current generation iPad and an iPhone 5, so it seems like my best bet would be running TrainerRoad on the iPad. However, with the correct Bluetooth adapter, my Macbook Pro should work. Do I have this right?

In short, yes. ;)

Everything you noted about control is their plan as I understand it.

For your Macbook, yes, you'll need the $9 IOGear adapter, which works perfectly on the Mac driver-wise with TR.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
In short, yes. ;)

For your Macbook, yes, you'll need the $9 IOGear adapter, which works perfectly on the Mac driver-wise with TR.

Thanks! I do note that you say this is their "plan" - since you have a KICKR now while the rest of us poor wankers wait and hope that boat from China doesn't get intercepted by Somali pirates, are you saying that this functionality is not in TrainerRoad currently, but that it is their "plan" to be able to control the KICKR's erg mode as you have described?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
In short, yes. ;)

Thanks! I do note that you say this is their "plan" - since you have a KICKR now while the rest of us poor wankers wait and hope that boat from China doesn't get intercepted by Somali pirates, are you saying that this functionality is not in TrainerRoad currently, but that it is their "plan" to be able to control the KICKR's erg mode as you have described?

Correct, it may have been added in builds in the last week. I haven't had a chance to try their latest internal build with KICKR in the last 7-10 days.

I'm sure Nate and/or Reid may be able to chime in.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:

Get a new or second hand Computrainer and buy Perfpro Studio. PerfPro working with Ant+ is doing all you want. In addition you can use TrainerRoad or Sufferfest or ErgVideo with Perfpro. Perfpro also can take care of your gpx - time/grade - combination of erg-time/grade. As everybody knows Computrainer has proved itself as being rock solid. Perfpro can also take care of your SRM data.
Quote Reply

Prev Next