Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [aca-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually is time to ride outside after the first week of March.

I will get one through my team's shop but I am not willing to pay full price to get one faster when I will only be using it a few times a month until next Dec.

I wish they would have had this ready for last Dec when I would have killed to have a new toy to play with for my 3 months of snow/winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
U have a very good point. Let's don't forget this first version has lot to prove also?? TBD
Last edited by: aca-tri: Jan 24, 13 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray,

Is the KICKR compatible with Dura-Ace 11 speed cassettes?

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [aca-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is another good point. Let others be the beta group and then get the improved model for next year.

Anyone want to pre-commit to my Cyclops SuperMag Pro trainer with an extra ProFluid resistance unit includes as well? I will also be selling my Powertap 2.4+ black hub, Stans 340 rims (the real 340's not the heavier version) built up with a White industry black front hub, Black CX-Ray spokes, alum nipples and brass spoke washers. The wheels have never seen the road. They have only seen trainer duty as I have Zipps for my on the road riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [alphadogcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alphadogcycling wrote:
Ray,

Is the KICKR compatible with Dura-Ace 11 speed cassettes?

Yes. Up to 11 speed. I included a bit more detail in the 'cassettes' section below:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/first-look-at-wahoo-fitness-kickr.html

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
KICKR Sound Level [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little confused by the noise level. Initial reports were that the KICKR was super quiet.

This was Ray's assessment (in the comments to his blog post) on August 30:

"As noted above, it’s really super-quiet. Scary quiet. I was trying to find a quieter time in the hall to take a video of it – but the hall is so loud that you just can’t tell how quiet it is (good thing I suppose). In all three bikes, the drivechain sounds were louder than the trainer itself. Kinda crazy.

And he wasn't the only one saying this. For instance, here is a video from TrainerRoad, where even when the rider is pedaling, you can't hear the trainer (the discussion of noise (or lack thereof) begins here at 2:39), and they make the comment that drivetrain noise is greater than that coming from the trainer.

But Ray's video uploaded on January 13 doesn't seem to depict a quiet KICKR. Just watching (err, listening to) the video, the KICKR seems pretty loud. And it measures out at 82.0db, which seems hardly "super quiet," with the Road Machine almost identical at 81.3db and the Lemond Revolution (routinely described as one of the loudest trainers ever produced by man) coming in at 90.0db.

So what gives? I realize the audio capture protocols are different between the TrainerRoad video and Ray's video, but to my ear, they sound like very different products. Are the production KICKRs somehow louder than the pre-production versions that Ray and others had a chance to review?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jan 24, 13 13:42
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Sound Level [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple thoughts. Back in August, I said (in that same post): "Of course, on a busy Eurobike show floor, it’s difficult to compare actual measurements."

The video I took was in a perfectly quiet setting, compared to again, a show floor. As I noted then, it sounded pretty quiet (especially compared to other trainers around).

The units have indeed shifted over time. There's a number of parts that have changed since then (many of which are reasons for the delay). However, I can't say whether or not that impacted noise levels. I know for example some changes were made around the casing in the back to make it more resilient to someone picking it up wonky. Again, no idea if that would impact noise substantially.

Note that the difference between 81db and 90db isn't linear, so it's actually a substantial jump in sound.

Now, like any trainer, sound is just a function of speed, so depending on which mode your in, you can control that. For example, in Erg mode, you could just go to the gearing that produces the lowest speed, and your wattage will still remain whatever you'd like it to be. You can see how slowly he was spinning in that video (virtually not at all), which means the noise is substantially lower. You can also however hear the same high-pitched sound if you listen closely- through the busy show floor.

Just my two cents.

-
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Germany, pre-ordered it through http://www.probikesupply.com in the states. $150 shipping to here. They also have them for $999 still.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [grad98cofc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They also show the expected release date as February 14 (Valentine's Day!), so it will be interesting to see how that all shakes out.

Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [grad98cofc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grad98cofc wrote:
I live in Germany, pre-ordered it through http://www.probikesupply.com in the states. $150 shipping to here. They also have them for $999 still.

But you have to add customs and VAT charges :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Yikes 10% price jump.

"The KICKR retails for $1099 USD. The price went up slightly from what was previously announced due to unforeseen manufacturing changes over the past 60 days."

And that brings them awfully close to the already-established CompuTrainer.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by kartbuilder [ In reply to ]
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:

True, but I don't think the secret sauce is the CompuTrainer functionality (power meter, erg mode), but instead the KICKR's ability to communicate with software. That really opens up the cool stuff.

Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Sound Level [kartbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kartbuilder wrote:
Heres the problem brotha. They used a Gates PowerGrip GT timing belt. See Photo. We use them on Karts outside with loud motors all the time, but not a good choice for in-home use. The issue is the small pulley which turns at a higher velocity than the big pulley. Looks like they're usin' a reduction somewhere between 5 and 10 to one. That means the small pulley could be spinin' 10x faster. The noise comes from belt friction somewhat, but really that high pitch howl is caused by air being squeezed out of the grooves of the small pulley at high velocity. Basically, like the vanes of a jet engine. Not many folks know 'bout this unless they build drivetrains for a livin' all day.

Now THAT is informative (and please don't take that as a comment that DCR is not informative, since he is pretty much the God of BikeTech Information).

So that begs the question, (1) can the belt be replaced with a quieter alternative or (2) would there need to be a corresponding change to the interfacing hardware in order to swap to a quieter belt or (3) would there need to be a re-design of the reduction ratio or (4) no way to tell unless you could see one in person? Or maybe there is a (5) I'm not thinking of.

Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
True, but I don't think the secret sauce is the CompuTrainer functionality (power meter, erg mode), but instead the KICKR's ability to communicate with software. That really opens up the cool stuff.

For me, the draw of the CT is not needing to try to match shifting and cadence to hit the power intervals, just hit your cadence and keep going no matter what. Same thing I want out of the Kickr. And much as I love the idea of not needing a trainer wheel to keep aired and continually check the resistance unit tension, I'd rather do that than deal with high-pitched whining. Is this something a belt change could fix?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Yikes 10% price jump.

"The KICKR retails for $1099 USD. The price went up slightly from what was previously announced due to unforeseen manufacturing changes over the past 60 days."

The Computrainer is $1,630 these days. ;)

It does however bring it fairly close to the PowerBeam Pro though (without head unit). With head unit, it's a ways off. But without head unit, it's in the same ballpark although with different functionality sets.

-
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
The Computrainer is $1,630 these days. ;)

It does however bring it fairly close to the PowerBeam Pro though (without head unit). With head unit, it's a ways off. But without head unit, it's in the same ballpark although with different functionality sets.

Man, I thought it was still more like $1300. Why can't this sport be cheaper?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny. I just watched the video and though 'gee, that sounds loud' (yes, I know I shot it).

I was curious to see if I just did a simple 200w ride at normal cadence what the decibles would be. So I just jumped on. Came out almost identical.

But the thing is, I think my laptop actually sounded louder playing it back than the trainer did. I guess to me (in the room), there isn't that undercurrent of loudness. And the high-pitched sound does seem higher on the tape than in real life.

If you're in Paris - I'm happy to have ya swing by and listen. :)

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
refthimos wrote:

For me, the draw of the CT is not needing to try to match shifting and cadence to hit the power intervals, just hit your cadence and keep going no matter what. Same thing I want out of the Kickr. And much as I love the idea of not needing a trainer wheel to keep aired and continually check the resistance unit tension, I'd rather do that than deal with high-pitched whining. Is this something a belt change could fix?

IIRC the Kickr will also perform in an erg mode just like the Computrainer.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Sound Level [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

The missus has family there, so you never know, but if you're telling us that your subjective opinion is that it's not "that bad," then I'm not too troubled. I'm in a house so I don't have the same concerns that apartment/condo dwellers - just hoping to maintain the peace at home when I decide to jump on the trainer at 5:30am to bang out come intervals while the missus is asleep upstairs!

Quote Reply
Post deleted by kartbuilder [ In reply to ]
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Toby wrote:
refthimos wrote:

IIRC the Kickr will also perform in an erg mode just like the Computrainer.

Hugh

It does, it's what I use 90% of the time. Set and change the wattage as you see fit. You can see a workout done that way in today's post, I had various cadences to hit, but just set the wattage as the workout required manually as I went along to stay in my HR zones.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

The missus has family there, so you never know, but if you're telling us that your subjective opinion is that it's not "that bad," then I'm not too troubled. I'm in a house so I don't have the same concerns that apartment/condo dwellers - just hoping to maintain the peace at home when I decide to jump on the trainer at 5:30am to bang out come intervals while the missus is asleep upstairs!

My wife has very little tolerance for loud noises/sounds. She's fine with it and has used it herself on a few rides.

Just my opinion (well, I guess and hers). But I am serious, if any Paris folks want to swing in and listen (or ride it), I'm open.

-
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [kartbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kartbuilder wrote:
Moral of the story is don't be countin on softwares to make to make this she-beast pretty. The softwares just makeup and the units gotta stand on its own..

I agree that is the hardware is a POS then no amount of cool software is going to make the user experience a good one, but my point is that while there are certainly core similarities between the KICKR and the Computrainer, it's the Ant+/Bluetooth compatibility and the corresponding ability to interface and operate with cool software that is the key differentiator of the KICKR, IMHO.

Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR release date [kartbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, interesting stuff, I hadn't seen that yet.

Just read through the lawsuit, and then the patent itself. I'm no patent pro, but I think it's junk. The first patent they claim was in 1999. Looking at the core tenant, it's:

"1. A data signal having data encoded thereon transmitted over a communication channel, comprising: (a) a first data field defining a first operating parameter value for one of one or more operating parameters of an exercise device; (b) a second data field defining a second operating parameter value for another of said one or more operating parameters of the exercise device; and (c) a third data field defining a checksum of said first byte of data and said second byte of data, said checksum configured to be used by the exercise device for error detection of the first operating parameter value and the second operating parameter value. "

What's interesting is that they aren't suing RacerMate, who did this before them. The first handlebar units were 1987 - 12 years prior.

I'd expect this to be tossed. It would otherwise cover every piece of exercise equipment ever made, plus every software app and device related to exercise ever made. Weird.

(But again, thanks for sharing, cool to read through)

kartbuilder wrote:
refthimos wrote:
Toby wrote:

Not so fast there brotha.. cycleops (power beam trainer) just got sued by the makers of that tour de fancie pants bike advertized on tv for all sortsa software stuff. These are the same nice fellers suin' strava, mapmyride and garmin.

This lawsuit just filed Jan 2, '13 http://patentblast.com/...saris-cycling-group/

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...elopers#.UQHa86VRabB

Heck even my kart car runs a garmin to track lap times like a crit and I wonder if they gonna sue garmin for that too cuz we usin' all sorts of software gizmos. Whoops, LOL.

Moral of the story is don't be countin on softwares to make to make this she-beast pretty. The softwares just makeup and the units gotta stand on its own..

-
Quote Reply

Prev Next